Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How do I get rid of fruit flies?

simchamommy

Post Sat, Dec 27 2014, 2:28 pm
I'm seeing way too many fruit flies around in the kitchen & dining room - not sure where they came from, but there's nothing around that's attracting them now - so how do I get rid of them?

amother

Post Sat, Dec 27 2014, 6:33 pm
Slice a lemon in half and stick some cloves into it. Put the halves in the areas where you see fruit flies and they'll go away.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Dec 27 2014, 9:37 pm
This one is guaranteed to work!

Take a wine bottle that has some sweet wine in the bottom of it. Add a few teaspoons of vinegar, and a few drops of dish soap. Put some plastic wrap around the top of the bottle, secure it with a rubber band or twine, and poke some holes in the top of the wrap.

Swirl the wine mixture around to get it to coat the sides. Set the bottle where you seem to see the most flies. The flies will come in to get the wine, stick to the soap, and not be able to crawl back out of the hole.

This works best with a clear bottle, because if flies see their friends all in there having a wine party, they'll want to join in. Cheers

You can easily freshen up the bottle every month or so by adding a bit more wine or vinegar and replacing the wrap at the top. I've used the same bottle all summer long, and it keeps working without needing to be rinsed out.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 12:02 am
Put a little apple cider vinegar in a cup with a drop of dish soap. Cover with Saran Wrap. Poke some holes big enough for them to get in. Worked for me. They seemed to go in the cup mostly at night when the room was dark.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 12:26 am
Vinegar down all your drains before you go to bed at night - even bathrooms... Drains are where they nest. This works and is a lot less complicated than all the saran wrap and dishsoap solutions. Trust me, my house has been fruit fly central.

Greenbelle

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 12:48 am
They might be drain flies and not fruit flies at all. I had them so bad that we had to leave and get the house bombed... then we found out that they are not fruit flies at all... but drain flies. The exterminator gave us a blue liquid that only exterminators can get to pour down all the drains every nite for a week. they disappeared and every year around the same time I see a few and quickly use the liquid which takes care of the problem. good luck.

rainbow dash

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 3:27 am
by me they went away when I made sure to clean really well the kitchen and made sure no food was left out. if its in the lounge maybe there is something under your sofa. Good luck.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 3:58 am
Been there,done that. You can order the blue stuff to pour down your drains from amazon or you can use ammonia when you're done using all drains for the night and it will have time to sit there and not get washed away-so no washing machine or dish washer should be running. You should do this for 3-4 nights in a row-pour down EVERY drain in the house,even upstairs,even if you don't have them upstairs,because all pipes are connected and it's just a matter of time.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry