Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Help me info Monsey (chassidish)
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 1:05 am
Hi we are looking for info on Monsey ,

Let me start by saying ,we are currently living in BP (grew up here) young (27) chassidish, we have 3 children kn'h,

Looking to move so we can raise our children in a comfortable/affordable place ( BP getting to crowded ),

What area's would be interesting for us to looking into?
What are chasidisha schools and chedarim are there?

If you moved from BP/Williamsburg, what was your biggest adjustment?
Do you regret your 'move'?

Any tips or suggestion would be greatly appreciated,
TIA

(Amother since busy with this IRL)

amother

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 1:32 am
Please make sure your children are accepted in schools and chedarim before moving. Don't asu,me that because you belong to a chassidis your kids will be accepted .... I know family's, good families who came and had no schools for their children. So please take care of that.

Schools:
2 Satmar
Belz
Pupa
Bnos Sanz
2 Bobov (one opening next year)
Klasenberg
Vien (opening next year)
Viznitz
Skver Monsey and skver new square
Bais rochel
Bnos derech Yisroel
Bas melech
Bais shifra miriam
Toras Imechu (mostly shpitzel, tzep)
Bais chinuch hayushin (100% tzep)

Chedarim:
2 satmar
3 viznitz
Rachmachstrivk
Imrei shafer
Munkatch
2 Bobov
Belz
Riminitz
Klausenberg
Vien
Bais dovid
Lizensk
Tashbar
Something Chuna
Pupa
Skver

There may be more.....

rdmom

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 1:43 am
You forgot about bais shifra Miriam for a girls school. Very mixed weird crowd. Very chosuve families. Fathers learning. But very yeshivish in that they allow mothers to drive. So they have all types.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 1:51 am
rdmom wrote:
You forgot about bais shifra Miriam for a girls school. Very mixed weird crowd. Very chosuve families. Fathers learning. But very yeshivish in that they allow mothers to drive. So they have all types.
Ty added it,

amother

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 7:28 pm
I also moved from Williamsburg a few years ago. The rent hike is because city people pay the price that Monsey people won't. Its not normal to compare the rent from the city to here. Before I moved, I did my homework to find out how much is normal rent. I remember about 4 yrs ago brand new 5 room apts were $1,500 and no one wanted to pay that price! City people came and bargained it down a drop less. No one from Monsey in their right mind would pay that. Yes, city people you are more than welcomed, but don't grab an apt or house because it is cheaper than the city...

amother

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 8:25 pm
Up the hill becoming Chassidish more and more and that's real suburbia style-the houses much cheaper because you can't build multiple. some people have one tenant and they let you have mother daughter. They say people from the city hiked up the rent and houses-let's just not let it happen don't give into the higher prices

amother

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
Up the hill becoming Chassidish more and more and that's real suburbia style-the houses much cheaper because you can't build multiple. some people have one tenant and they let you have mother daughter. They say people from the city hiked up the rent and houses-let's just not let it happen don't give into the higher prices

It's called the law of supply and demand.

Maya

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 11:15 pm
amother wrote:

Yes, we live in this area, and people are building big houses with multiple tenants illegally. The neighbors still try to fight it, but they're mostly elderly and losing the strength to fight. But I wouldn't say houses are cheaper here than in say, Chestnut Ridge or Airmont. They're actually a lot more expensive than those areas.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 28 2014, 11:36 pm
Having family members that recently moved from Williamsburg I must tell u, they actually love it...they wouldn't move back and if they miss the rest of the bunch they can anytime hop onto monsey trails, it's just a bus ride away.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 12:49 am
Up the hill is more expensive than Chestnut Ridge Airmont Wesley Pomona but still quite a bit less than down the hill. If you think Monsey is so terrible who's forcing anyone. What's missing from city life the congestion traffic etc. So nice to have space trees grass parking lots etc

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 1:29 am
Op here
Thanks for your replies ( or should I say the helpful ones) really appreciate your time and effort!

Would love to hear more from ppl that moved there from the city,how hard was it to adjust? What should I prepare myself for......
Also for those that are saying don't move please explain yourself......

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 2:33 am
I am not chassidish, but I moved to Monsey from NYC. If you do not drive, you need to live close to shopping because there is virtually no public transportation and you will need to take car services everywhere,

be prepared for that expense,

Maya

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 7:52 am
amother wrote:
I am not chassidish, but I moved to Monsey from NYC. If you do not drive, you need to live close to shopping because there is virtually no public transportation and you will need to take car services everywhere,

be prepared for that expense,

Actually there is a pretty decent bus system. I used that before I started driving, but it's true that not many people use it. I don't know why they don't. It's just like the city buses back in Brooklyn and Manhattan etc.

Maya

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 9:14 am
The buses go into all residential areas in addition to going on all major roads and stopping right in front of all shopping areas.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 12:01 pm
amother wrote:
Please make sure your children are accepted in schools and chedarim before moving. Don't asu,me that because you belong to a chassidis your kids will be accepted .... I know family's, good families who came and had no schools for their children. So please take care of that.

Chedarim:
2 satmar
3 viznitz
Rachmachstrivk
Imrei shafer
Munkatch
2 Bobov
Belz
Riminitz
Klausenberg
Vien
Bais dovid
Lizensk
Tashbar
Something Chuna
Pupa
Skver

There may be more.....

Are there THREE Viznitz already?

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
Are there THREE Viznitz already?

There is viznitz, viznitz bnei brak, and there has been talk of a third for years and I believe I heard that it has opened or already has enrolled children. There is only one viznitz girl's school though.

wifenmother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 12:15 pm
OP - You'll want to spend a Sunday in Monsey with a realtor first to view both the new condominium neighborhoods as well as up the hill/Airmont/Chestnut Ridge neighborhoods. I have a friend that moved out from Boro Park and wasn't ready for a single family home. She felt it was 'too far' from any neighbors. And my sister-in-law wouldn't hear of a condo: she's moving to Monsey for the full Monsey experience.

You have to figure out what will work for you, (as well as your price range/monthly rent limit...!).

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 12:19 pm
amother wrote:
There is viznitz, viznitz bnei brak, and there has been talk of a third for years and I believe I heard that it has opened or already has enrolled children. There is only one viznitz girl's school though.

'Talk' doesn't create a cheder. There are only two now. Viznitz Monsey and Viznitz Bnei Brak.

I understand that not many Viznitz Monsey people are excited to send to their own cheder and anyone that doesn't belong there shouldn't even start dreaming of being accepted as they are maxed out. Viznitz Bnei Brak is fairly new (through Kita Bais) but they are also full and very picky. Don't know if either is of interest to OP, but either way she certainly wants to make sure that her kids are accepted in schools before she finalizes her move.

wifenmother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 12:38 pm
Maya wrote:
What are you talking about?
Your info about the route is wrong. The buses go into all residential areas in addition to going on all major roads and stopping right in front of all shopping areas.

The busses basically circulate in the neighborhoods with the biggest concentration of non-drivers. It doesn't cover all of Monsey at all.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 12:45 pm
amother wrote:
'Talk' doesn't create a cheder. There are only two now. Viznitz Monsey and Viznitz Bnei Brak.

I understand that not many Viznitz Monsey people are excited to send to their own cheder and anyone that doesn't belong there shouldn't even start dreaming of being accepted as they are maxed out. Viznitz Bnei Brak is fairly new (through Kita Bais) but they are also full and very picky. Don't know if either is of interest to OP, but either way she certainly wants to make sure that her kids are accepted in schools before she finalizes her move.

I know someone who enrolled her son in a third viznitz, maybe it is opening in the next year like vien girls and bobov 48th girls. I can confirm if op is interested
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating