Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
School decisions

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 1:44 pm
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for my questions but I figured working women can possibly relate. I will post in another forum as well.
Here's the deal, I have a few kids but for reasons that I don't want to disclose I need to wait a few more years before I can try to become pregnant again. Aside for that I've been wanting to do this for a while: Ok here goes. I started college last year part time just to get credits and see where to go from there. Recently though I've gotten this desire to really take school full on and earn a degree. I'm in my early 30's and feel that since I have the desire now I might as well do it. Here's the catch: I have four kids, youngest is 2.5 and my husband works full time. He does not want things going to the wayside as far as the homefront so he is only ok with it if I figure out how to manage it all. How can I do that? How do you ladies do that? They are all in school, my tow youngest finish at 2 now but I am ok with sending them to the aftercare program up to twice a week next year if need be.
Another dilemma I'm having is should I go for an associates degree in something that I'll like and will pay ok but will require fulltime school over the next two years or slowly go for my undergrad and then masters in another field I'm thinking about- that will take me until at least age 38 and like I said before I do want to have more kids and don't know how that will work while in a masters program! I don't know what to do but I have to decide after this semester which path to take.
Please give me advice!! I typed this up fast so if anything needs to be clarified please let me know.

worknights1313

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 1:51 pm
I would slowly go for the undergrad. You will have to do it eventually anyway. I did it slowly because I didn't want it to hurt my kids. They are only little once and then those years are gone, but school will always be there. My personal opinion.

Fox

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 2:21 pm
It depends completely on your goals and the reason you're pursuing your education.

If your goal is to get into the workforce as soon as possible, then the 2-year program might be worthwhile; if you're not in a particular hurry but you're trying to prepare yourself for eventual entry into the workforce, you may want to take the slower route.

Whatever you do, be sure that your educational choices realistically lead to your desired career path, and make sure you do all the networking and other activities (e.g., internships; forum memberships; volunteer work, etc.) that support your career. Too many people earn degrees but aren't in a position to compete for jobs because they lack any practical, transferable experience.

Whether you choose the 2-year or 4-year degree option, be sure to look into the possibility of taking certain general requirements online or at a local community college during the intersession or summer. Doing so can significantly reduce the impact of school on your home life while also keeping you on track to earn your degree within a reasonable time.

imaima

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 2:38 pm
When I started shchooling with kids,my dh chipped in A LOT!
get him on board before you start anything

eschaya

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 3:04 pm
Depends a lot on what you're going for. While BA and masters degrees are typically required in today's workforce, there are some situations where an AD can get you into the workforce and then oftentimes your place of employment will pay (some or all) of the rest of your education (for example, an RN can get a job with an AD, and many hospitals will pay for an RN-BSN). So do your research since it really depends on the field.
But I also strongly agree with imaima; no matter how slowly you do your degree, you really need the support and backing of your dh. If he is not "for" your education it will be a lot harder.

elisheva25

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 8:10 pm
I think take the slow path, even if it will take a few years. Taking a slower path, is easier for everyone involved.Going to school for real degree, versus just liberal arts is very stressful without a family. Your kids are only little now. Later on you will have many years to build a career.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 10:20 pm
I went back to nursing school with 4 children ages 2-5 at the time. My Dh works 12 hours/day but he was on board. It required that he do bedtime alone 4 days/ week and just be more involved in general. The biggest issue is childcare. School itself was hard but do-able but dealing with childcare was a headache. Make sure you have a solid plan and a backup plan.

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 10:39 pm
I finished school before getting married but DH is in school now and we recently had our first. He says you can't compare school with a kid and without (he is very involved due to my insane work schedule) even though his school schedule has been easing up. You definitely need your husbands support.

DrMom

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 2:43 am
amother wrote:
He does not want things going to the wayside as far as the homefront so he is only ok with it if I figure out how to manage it all.

Your DH is basically saying, "Do what you want, but do it on your own time." I.e., he's not really supportive of the idea at all.

You need to explain to him that this is an investment in your future (I assume the degree you intend to pursue is something that can translate into earning potential later on?), and can benefit the both of you, but it will take investment in time from both of you. He may have to do a little more around the house or watch the kids more, etc. If we can't/won't, then it will be very hard for you.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 6:42 pm
Thank you all for the replies. I'm so happy I posted here.
The issue with me staying in school slowly vs an associates is that the major now requires a doctorate. Basically I'm thinking of either going for a PTA (physical therapy assistant) degree or a DTP (Doctorate in physical therapy). To get the DTP it requires a bachelors first and I'm afraid that will take me too long and that in a few years when I'm ready to have more children I won't be able to be in a doctorate program. My husband said he's only on board if we figure everything else out first, ie kids and house. I would only be in actual classes during the day when my kids are in school anyway. It's the studying and eventual clinical times that will require more planning with the kids.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics