Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Occupational Therapy in Rockland County

amother

Post Mon, Dec 29 2014, 10:45 pm
My daughter's school recommended I get her evaluated for OT- she is 4 years old. I don't know what to do first- and how to go about the whole process- if someone can guide me, I'd really appreciate it. I was told to request an evaluation.

momX4

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 12:41 am
Call CPSE. Do you live in East Ramapo? Call the school district office on South Madison and ask for CPSE. You will need to go down to that building and register your DC. They will tell you what paperwork you need to bring. There is a form to fill out, you can do it there.

tip: Since the school requested that you evaluate your DC, ask them to write a letter stating why they feel your DC needs therapy and how it impacts her and the classroom. Bring this letter to the meeting that you will have after all the evaluations are done. It will help your case.

starch

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 10:09 am
Applying for CPSE (Committee on Preschool Special Education) is pretty easy. You need to go down to East Ramapo school district on 105 S. Madison (opposite Ateres Chaya Sora). Take with you the following: your daughter's birth certificate, a proof of residence, a rental agreement, and her immunization records. Once there you need to fill out an application packet and then sign in when you've completed it. Within a few minutes you will be called in and they will put the application into the system.

I forgot how many weeks it took, but they will then send you a form to choose an agency and send back to them. Send it back right away so the process doesn't get delayed even longer. Once they give it over to the agency, she will be evaluated. They will send you a letter telling you when you will have to go back for a meeting to discuss the results and whether she qualifies for therapy. One big thing to stress is the educational impact, so as the previous poster wrote, get a letter from the teacher about that.

The process takes a few months. I applied for my daughter at the end of January, and the meeting was not until mid-June! I don't know if it's always this long, but because of the length of time, she only started getting services in September (since it follows the school year calendar).

Hope this helps.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 11:14 am
Thank you both for your help!!

Do I need the letter to go down to East Ramapo School Distrct- or can I take care of that part after?

Is there an age limit until when she can get OT?

momX4

Post Tue, Dec 30 2014, 1:57 pm
Bring the letter to the meeting, which will happen after the evaluations. After your DC ages out with CPSE, she can get OT directly from the board of ed via your DC's school.

If you go down next week (they are closed now) and fill out the application, you should be done with everything within 45 days, I think thats the law. If it takes longer call CPSE. Have an agency in mind that you would like to use. Find out if there is already a child in your school receiving OT, and request that agency. The therapists/agency are way happier if they have a few kids in one place, and will place your DC faster that way.

Get a big manila envelope ready to file all they paperwork you will recieve.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 31 2014, 8:21 pm
Thanks a million!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers