Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
HELP! Stinky garbage!
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 10:00 am
I wasn't sure which forum to post this under but here goes...my kitchen garbage stinks!! Like REALLY bad! I gag every time I open it to throw something out. It's not the actual garbage bin itself because I thoroughly clean it every time I change the bag. I am careful about putting things like potato peels and discarded food in a shopping bag and tying a tight not before putting in the garbage bag AND I have scented bags that are supposed to prevent rodents and stuff from smelling the bag. I thought that would also keep away smell but it really really stinks. One morning I even smelled it from my bedroom in my apartment!! I changed that bag of course but it's happening again and I'm not sure what to do..... I don't want to keep taking trash bags that are only 1/4 full shock

Last edited by amother on Thu, Feb 12 2015, 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 11:03 am
how often do you take it out?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 11:07 am
oliveoil wrote:
how often do you take it out?

Whenever it gets full which is usually once a week. (There are only two of us). I took it out this week already and now it smells awful again but I'm in the middle of cooking for shabbos so I'm gonna wait till I am done. But I am sure by sunday it will stink all over again

mommyla

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 11:09 am
Get a smaller can and take it out more often. Of course week-old garbage is going to stink!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 11:13 am
mommyla wrote:
Get a smaller can and take it out more often. Of course week-old garbage is going to stink!

I don't think they make smaller! And it's never happened before, only in the past few weeks. I can't be the only one who has week old garbage...

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 11:16 am
ArganMagic wrote:
Whenever it gets full which is usually once a week. (There are only two of us). I took it out this week already and now it smells awful again but I'm in the middle of cooking for shabbos so I'm gonna wait till I am done. But I am sure by sunday it will stink all over again

This is the problem. Garbage needs to go out every day or every other day or else it will stink. Look for a smaller garbage can so you won't feel like you're taking out half empty bags.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 11:18 am
ArganMagic wrote:
I don't think they make smaller! And it's never happened before, only in the past few weeks. I can't be the only one who has week old garbage...

Are there any raw chicken or meat (even raw skin from chicken or bones) that you place in the garbage? That could smell nasty. And yes you would smell it till your bedroom.

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 11:40 am
Also, is your garbage near the heater/radiator/heating vent? That could be contributing to the recent increase in stinkiness :-)

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 12:02 pm
I always put raw food or any food and pealings in a plastic bag before I put in the garbage. And no vent or radiator near the trash can. I guess I'll be stopping at the store to buy smaller can. Thanks every one!

Last edited by amother on Thu, Feb 12 2015, 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Simple1

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 12:14 pm
You can use a small bathroom size garbage and use shopping bags.

Lady Bug

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 1:09 pm
Garbage needs to be changed daily. I take it out before bed even if it's not full. I don't want to risk the smell or the rodents.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 1:12 pm
ArganMagic wrote:

Once a week!? You must take out the garbage daily, even if it's not full. Of course your house will smell with garbage sitting in it.

Bruria

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 1:50 pm
Clean your trash can after you take out the garbage, that should take care of the smell.

Learning

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 2:03 pm
I agree that garbage has to be taken out more often. I also put newspaper on the bottom of the trash can in case it leaks. I try to dump it in the bag often and put new newspaper when I throw away the garage.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 2:04 pm
Bruria wrote:
Clean your trash can after you take out the garbage, that should take care of the smell.

It might take care of the smell in the can, but it won't stop the garbage from smelling up next week. You can't leave garbage sitting in the house overnight and expect it not to smell, eve if it's double bagged.

abs

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 2:10 pm
Place a shopping bag over the corners of the can. That will fill up way faster and you can take it out every day. It would be a good idea to leave a garbage bag as a liner to catch anything that fall over the shopping bag because the shopping bag won't fit so well. Also, you can use baking soda in the bottom of the can to absorb odors.

Bruria

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 2:12 pm
Lady Godiva wrote:
It might take care of the smell in the can, but it won't stop the garbage from smelling up next week. You can't leave garbage sitting in the house overnight and expect it not to smell, eve if it's double bagged.
That's why I said"after you take out the garbage", therefore implying that she should take out her garbage first, then clean the trash can and only then she should put a new bag.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 3:44 pm
Bruria wrote:
That's why I said"after you take out the garbage", therefore implying that she should take out her garbage first, then clean the trash can and only then she should put a new bag.

OP said she does that every time and she still has this problem.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 4:46 pm
1. Take out garbage daily
2. Use bags that are strong enough not to easily tear and leak
3. Sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of the can once a week to absorb odors

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 4:50 pm
The only thing I have to add beside - smaller bags and taking it out every day is, where is your garbage? Is it under a sink? There could be something lurking nearby that is also stinky or dead, like a rotting dead mouse. Those STINK! When you take out the garbage and clean the can, you smell the cleaner for a little while and then the smell comes back. So, it could also be something else near by.

But yes, you must take it out much more often!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry