Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Why is sushi so popular?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 11:51 am
DrMom wrote:
I just looked up a few recipes, and it seems this is the proportion for 2 cups raw rice, or 4 cups cooked sushi rice.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/rec......html

Or that is the ratio for 3 cups uncooked rice, or 6 cups cooked rice, according to this recipe:
http://makemysushi.com/index.p......html

And they say that 1 cup uncooked rice = 3 rolls. So it's really not so much sugar all in all.

Maybe the places around you make it sweeter?

For sure they make it much sweeter and saltier. I make sushi at home and I get more compliments when I up the sugar and salt. Those rolls are always eaten first. I include a sugar free and low salt roll for me because I calorie count.

You must be fortunate that 100 calories extra over 3 rolls is not that much to you. For most of us, sushi is fattening. A godzilla roll which is common here has 580 calories and 1100 mg of salt! The frum version probably more. That is half my caloric intake for the day. Cooked sushi is popular. Also most people use fattening dipping sauces. Unbelievably ketchup is served with sushi.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 12:01 pm
Would someone please explain to me why people are calling sushi a new fad? I've been eating it since I was in preschool and probably in my mother's womb! Am I missing something?? If it's somehow new that would explain why some individuals do not enjoy it. You usually enjoy foods that you've been exposed to since childhood although your palette and tastes do expand as you mature....

amother

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 12:02 pm
amother wrote:
Try to be anonymous whenever possible- I see you're also. The chai roll godzilla and salmon tempura no one else does it like chai.

Nah, I only do it when I mention personal or possibly identifiable things such as the fact that I saw a diet doctor and live in Monsey.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 12:03 pm
Ketchup with sushi? Omg. I agree that it's weird that sushi is offered in almost every restaurant.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 12:11 pm
MARKETING MARKTING MARKETING

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 12:12 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
Would someone please explain to me why people are calling sushi a new fad? I've been eating it since I was in preschool and probably in my mother's womb! Am I missing something?? If it's somehow new that would explain why some individuals do not enjoy it. You usually enjoy foods that you've been exposed to since childhood although your palette and tastes do expand as you mature....

Because it never used to be so prevalent. The first time I saw it at a simcha was a few years ago. Now it is at many of them. More places started carrying it, now it is in every pizza parlor. You can get it in Monroe now at one milchag restaurant. This is a recent addition. It will probably be in the other 2 pizza places soon if it isn't now.

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 12:14 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
Ketchup with sushi? Omg. I agree that it's weird that sushi is offered in almost every restaurant.

Then you don't want to know that ketchup is prevalent in the sauce of many of the frum Chinese dishes.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 12:29 pm
I have nothing against raw. It's my culture. But sushi per se, meh.

mandr

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 12:44 pm
Because it's such a pretty food.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 12:51 pm
Squishy wrote:
For sure they make it much sweeter and saltier. I make sushi at home and I get more compliments when I up the sugar and salt. Those rolls are always eaten first. I include a sugar free and low salt roll for me because I calorie count.

You must be fortunate that 100 calories extra over 3 rolls is not that much to you. For most of us, sushi is fattening. A godzilla roll which is common here has 580 calories and 1100 mg of salt! The frum version probably more. That is half my caloric intake for the day. Cooked sushi is popular. Also most people use fattening dipping sauces. Unbelievably ketchup is served with sushi.

I don't think 100 extra cal over 3 rolls is a lot. I'm not a calorie-counter. I"ll eat maybe 1.5 rolls or 1 roll with miso soup. I only use wasabi and a scant amount of soy sauce. Ketchup???
I think there's a difference between frum sushi in the US and kosher sushi in Israel. I never heard af a godzilla roll. Sounds large.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 12:52 pm
Squishy wrote:
Then you don't want to know that ketchup is prevalent in the sauce of many of the frum Chinese dishes.

If the flavor works then I don't care. I have nothing against ketchup. I just think it's an odd flavor combination with sushi, definitely doesn't sound appetizing to me.

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 12:57 pm
DrMom wrote:
I don't think 100 extra cal over 3 rolls is a lot. I'm not a calorie-counter. I"ll eat maybe 1.5 rolls or 1 roll with miso soup. I only use wasabi and a scant amount of soy sauce. Ketchup???
I think there's a difference between frum sushi in the US and kosher sushi in Israel. I never heard af a godzilla roll. Sounds large.

You are fortunate. I must watch. Are there a lot of cooked rolls in Israel?

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 1:01 pm
MaBelleVie wrote:
If the flavor works then I don't care. I have nothing against ketchup. I just think it's an odd flavor combination with sushi, definitely doesn't sound appetizing to me.

To me and anyone who likes authentic Chinese food, it doesn't work. You never see ketchup as an ingredient in Chinese food except for the frum recipe books.

rofa

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 1:02 pm
People like it for it's practicality. It's an easy snack/finger food that has a lot more substance than, say, potato chips.

I love sushi for it's combination of textures and flavors- dry, sticky rice; chewy, umami seeweed; creamy avocado; bright, tart mango; tasty fish...

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 1:03 pm
Squishy wrote:
You are fortunate. I must watch. Are there a lot of cooked rolls in Israel?

There are both raw and cooked rolls here. You can check the menus in the links I posted earlier. Sushi is very popular here.

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 1:07 pm
rofa wrote:
People like it for it's practicality. It's an easy snack/finger food that has a lot more substance than, say, potato chips.

I love sushi for it's combination of textures and flavors- dry, sticky rice; chewy, umami seeweed; creamy avocado; bright, tart mango; tasty fish...

I view sushi as neither a snack nor a finger food. Lol

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 1:11 pm
I never heard of making Chinese food with ketchup. I don't recall seeing any Chinese recipes that use tomatoes in any form.

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 1:11 pm
DrMom wrote:
There are both raw and cooked rolls here. You can check the menus in the links I posted earlier. Sushi is very popular here.

I can look at the pictures. ☺☺ Very Happy

We mostly have rolls. Rolls account for almost all the sushi sold. There are some fancy places, but they mostly do rolls. I have never seen a frum sushi bar where you can sit and order by the piece.

It is also interesting that sushi consumption seems to go by heskofa. Certain crowds like cooked rolls better while others go more for the raw.

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 1:16 pm
DrMom wrote:
I never heard of making Chinese food with ketchup. I don't recall seeing any Chinese recipes that use tomatoes in any form.

When was the last time you were in Monsey?

Here is just the first one I goggled. http://damndelicious.net/2014/.....cken/

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 1:25 pm
Squishy wrote:
When was the last time you were in Monsey?

Here is just the first one I goggled. http://damndelicious.net/2014/.....cken/

Um, never.

BTW, you may be interested in this tidbit: As of 2008, Tel Aviv ranked only behind Tokyo & NYC for per capita sushi consumption.

http://www.ynetnews.com/articl......html
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics