Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Why is sushi so popular?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Simple1

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 9:28 pm
fmt4 wrote:
I don't know if anyone had said this already, but it's truly ridiculous how almost every single kosher restaurant, from pizza to burgers, from Chinese to schwarma, serves sushi. Frum people just don't understand the concept of restaurants serving the cuisine of a certain country, and instead throw anything they could think of into the mix. I know that any non- frum relatives that accompany us to kosher places are very confused about why a pizza place is serving sushi, when sushi is Japanese. But to frum people, sushi and pizza go together. To be honest, it's really not very classy.

Kosher restaurants are serving a narrower market, so maybe it makes sense for them to have a varied menu to attract more customers?

amother

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 9:29 pm
fmt4 wrote:
I don't know if anyone had said this already, but it's truly ridiculous how almost every single kosher restaurant, from pizza to burgers, from Chinese to schwarma, serves sushi. Frum people just don't understand the concept of restaurants serving the cuisine of a certain country, and instead throw anything they could think of into the mix. I know that any non- frum relatives that accompany us to kosher places are very confused about why a pizza place is serving sushi, when sushi is Japanese. But to frum people, sushi and pizza go together. To be honest, it's really not very classy.

I'm ok with not being classy. Really.
If I want a food that I like I'm glad to see it in whatever store it is. I think a lot of people just don't care so much about having only one country's cuisine at a time. I'm perfectly fine eating Mexican and chinese and italian in one place.

JAWSCIENCE

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 9:38 pm
Fox wrote:
I was beginning to think I was the only one in the world who didn't love sushi! My kids love it in virtually every variation, and I've tried it more times than I can count. The seaweed taste is just really off-putting to me for some reason.

There are places that make the roll without seaweed or with soy paper instead. I know many people who did not like sushi until they tried it without the seaweed. You might like it that way!

thanks

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 9:54 pm
I didn't read all the posts, but another reason sushi can be "addictive" is because there is sugar added to the rice.

Fox

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 10:05 pm
JAWSCIENCE wrote:
There are places that make the roll without seaweed or with soy paper instead. I know many people who did not like sushi until they tried it without the seaweed. You might like it that way!

That's interesting! Maybe I'll check out that option.

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 10:39 pm
fmt4 wrote:

Maybe not, and maybe in Brooklyn and Lakewood kosher restaurateurs can afford to serve only one style of cuisine, but in places less blessed with a plethora of kosher restaurants (say that three times fast without lithping), you have to try to please as many different palates as possible in what may be the only kosher eatery in town. So you go for a potpourri rather than a single note. (Haven't you heard of "fusion" cuisine? AIUI, "fusion" is a fancy way of saying "mixing up your ethnicities." ) It's seldom "fine dining" in any case, so "class" is hardly something the owners need to worry about. Bringing in the customers is.

I will agree that serving sushi in an ice-cream parlor is ridiculous. Not that I have ever seen this.

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 10:41 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Kosher restaurants are serving a narrower market, so maybe it makes sense for them to have a varied menu to attract more customers?

Simple1, you are aptly named! You said in one sentence what took me 2 paragraphs.

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 10:43 pm
I don't mind the seaweed. I just find sushi utterly bland. Pretty to look at and no taste. Like some people I know.

morah

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 10:51 pm
zaq wrote:
Maybe not, and maybe in Brooklyn and Lakewood kosher restaurateurs can afford to serve only one style of cuisine, but in places less blessed with a plethora of kosher restaurants (say that three times fast without lithping), you have to try to please as many different palates as possible in what may be the only kosher eatery in town. So you go for a potpourri rather than a single note. (Haven't you heard of "fusion" cuisine? AIUI, "fusion" is a fancy way of saying "mixing up your ethnicities." ) It's seldom "fine dining" in any case, so "class" is hardly something the owners need to worry about. Bringing in the customers is.

I will agree that serving sushi in an ice-cream parlor is ridiculous. Not that I have ever seen this.

interesting theory, except all the N.Y. restaurants do it too! I was the first to bring it up, and I was referring to NYC. I've got nothing against fusion, but theres no fusion going on, it's just we have to carry sushi because it's sushi.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 11:07 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Miami area beats LA on the per capita as it doesn't have so many real residents but has tons of restaurants due to the tourists.

I'm with you on the sushi front though!

FYI the Miami area has almost twice as many Jews as Chicago. But I'm amused to hear we aren't considered real residents LOL

zaq

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 11:13 pm
If people didn't clamor for sushi, the restaurants wouldn't carry it. Supply follows demand. Eventually sushi will decline in popularity and some new fad will take its place. Or not. But so what? Don't like sushi, don't order it. Do you see anyone with a gun to your head snarling "order sushi, or else"?

Simple1

Post Sun, Jan 04 2015, 11:36 pm
zaq wrote:
Simple1, you are aptly named! You said in one sentence what took me 2 paragraphs.

Thanks. And here I was reading your post and thinking that you explained it in better detail.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 1:32 am
While I think it's odd to serve sushi at pizza shops, if they make both the pizza and the sushi well, then more power to them.

One of my favorite sushi places here in Israel is a thin sliver of a sushi bar that merged with the next-door coffee shop/dairy cafe. You can get sushi from the bar served at your table in the coffee shop, while your dining companion can choose to lunch on a Greek salad. The dairy fare is good and the sushi is excellent.

DrMom

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 1:42 am
I just wanted to add that here in E"Y there is growing interest in Japanese food and culture, with more Japanese food manufacturers becoming interested in kosher certification:

http://www.israelnationalnews......uUfT8
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics