Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
What temperature do you keep your house at in the winter?

What temperature do you keep your house at during the winter?
65 F  
 6%  [ 8 ]
66 F  
 4%  [ 5 ]
67 F  
 6%  [ 8 ]
68 F  
 18%  [ 23 ]
69 F  
 14%  [ 18 ]
70 F  
 12%  [ 15 ]
71 F  
 12%  [ 15 ]
72 F  
 14%  [ 18 ]
73 F and higher  
 10%  [ 13 ]
Total Votes : 123

blueberries

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 8:03 am
We keep our heating at 71 and when it get very cold we increase to 73.

momX4

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 8:25 am
I have forced air heat, so it gets stuffy if its to hot. I keep it at 67, 68 if its needed. At night its lower, but the bedrooms are still 68, due to the terrible insulation downstairs the heat keeps on going on at night.

ecs

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 8:27 am
between 70 and 72

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 8:27 am
Hey?! What about those of us with temperatures under 65? My apartment is usually around 62 degrees. Yes, it's a little cold.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 8:46 am
translating: as a whole 70, lowest at night may be go down to 65
Many like it at 71/72
(oy those F are so hard)

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 8:50 am
18-20 Celsius, depending on time of day and day of the week

Whoops, that is 64 to 68 F. I forgot to convert for our American friends! (I am luckily, 'bilingulal' in temperature conversion!)

sky

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 9:28 am
69 regularly.
71 sometimes.

mille

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 9:38 am
I don't get to control my heat. The joys of apartment living with radiators! I believe that the law is that the apartment must be kept at 68º or above during the day at 65º and above during the night. Not sure how hot/cold it actually is in here. It's definitely not boiling like friends who live in other apartment buildings with radiators, who have to keep their windows open all winter coz it's too hot!

luppamom

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 10:38 am
Unless it's really cold, I try not to turn on my heat at all during the day (Israel). I try to do layers. At night, I turn it on for DD when she goes to bed. My heater works very poorly and I have to turn it to 26 C in order to get any reliable warmth, but I do not think the room reaches that temperature.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 12:56 pm
[quote="mille"]I don't get to control my heat. The joys of apartment living with radiators! [quote]

I have this. You cannot choose to turn them stronger or less strong or even off? I don't mean deciding a temp, but just sending more or less heat.

I've had to open the windows with CLOSED radiators due to neighbours overheating (very French I find), in my previous place!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 1:16 pm
65 -- but my husband is in charge. I would likely pick a higher number Wink

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 1:21 pm
DH would keep the house at 64 and I would prefer 68. We compromise on 66. Sometimes if it feels particularly cold we'll turn it up a little before someone takes a shower.

Although we're expecting a baby soon, so DH has been forewarned that we're going to have to turn the thermostat up.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 1:50 pm
55 during the day, but I'm usually moving around. If I'm going to be spending a few hours outside in the cold I'll move it up to 65 when I come in. I only heat the bedroom to keep the damp out and on the coldest of nights I sleep with my windows open. I'm a firm believer in wearing polar fleece indoors and layers, but it's quite common here in the PNW.

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 3:23 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
Hey?! What about those of us with temperatures under 65? My apartment is usually around 62 degrees. Yes, it's a little cold.

I'd also like to point out that while I enjoy the cooler temperature in my room apartment, when I am in someone else's home and it's really warm (like 68-70+), I really enjoy the heat. It's weird, but I'm ok with that... Smile

mille

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 3:59 pm
Ruchel wrote:
mille wrote:
I don't get to control my heat. The joys of apartment living with radiators!

I have this. You cannot choose to turn them stronger or less strong or even off? I don't mean deciding a temp, but just sending more or less heat.

I've had to open the windows with CLOSED radiators due to neighbours overheating (very French I find), in my previous place!

I am very lucky that I have knobs to be able to turn them off! But it's not hot enough to want to turn them off, so far this winter. My friends in Manhattan all have radiators that they can't even close/turn off at all, so they are stuck in the boiling heat!

bluebird

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 5:25 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
I'd also like to point out that while I enjoy the cooler temperature in my room apartment, when I am in someone else's home and it's really warm (like 68-70+), I really enjoy the heat. It's weird, but I'm ok with that... Smile

Total opposite here. I find it so uncomfortable!

I can't sleep if the room temperature is above 66 most of the year. In summer, when I get used to higher temperatures, I can go up to 70 IF there's a fan moving air around (bit not directly on me).

mommyla

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 5:48 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
DH would keep the house at 64 and I would prefer 68. We compromise on 66. Sometimes if it feels particularly cold we'll turn it up a little before someone takes a shower.

Although we're expecting a baby soon, so DH has been forewarned that we're going to have to turn the thermostat up.

Hey bshaa tova! That's exciting!

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 6:52 am
63 to 68 ~ I prefer it lower but I have some people with cold feet ...

at 68 I can barely breath

when I go into someone else's house I want to strip it's so hot
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics