Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Educational Leadership

nyer1

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 1:41 pm
Anyone have a degree in School Building Leadership or District Leader Certification?

Where did you do your degree?
Did you go full or part time?
How did you finance your education?
How many credits did you take per semester?
Did you complete the degree before or after children?
Did you get an administration job right after?
Pros and Cons of the degree?
How does the mentoring program / internship work, while working?
Do you / did you teach in a public school or Jewish school?

feel free to answer any or all of the questions above, with added anecdotes of your own.

thanks!

seeker

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 4:19 pm
Just want to mention that I heard they changed the requirements to be more difficult within the last couple of years sometime. I'm fuzzy on the details though. Just be aware that it's possible people's experiences posted here may not reflect the current procedure. I know a few people who pushed themselves to get certified before the change even though they weren't looking for a career change because they wanted the certification just in case before it got harder. I wish I'd known about that because I definitely would have wanted that too, but by the time I heard it was too late to do anything so I didn't even look into it much, so not much else to share.

nicole81

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 9:12 pm
Anyone have a degree in School Building Leadership or District Leader Certification?

I have a degree that allows me to obtain a license in SBL or SDL, pending exam completion. I only hold an SBL certificate though since I chose not to take the SDL tests yet.

Where did you do your degree?

I went to Brooklyn College.

Did you go full or part time?

Full time

How did you finance your education?

Student loans (at an amount that surpassed the costs of the credits, to pay for babysitting, cleaning help, and more)

How many credits did you take per semester?

I believe 11 or 12... The entire degree took 3 semesters.

Did you complete the degree before or after children?

With 2 children, and as a single mother.

Did you get an administration job right after?

I found an administrative job during my second semester in the program. The arrangement was that they were to hire me on a teacher line, and then convert me once my certification kicked in.

Pros and Cons of the degree?

The only con I can think of is that it was tiring to go to classes full time at night while working full time teaching during the day and being a single mother. The cost, especially given the number of loans I took would be a con except for the fact that the salary bump that comes along with it basically allows the degree to pay for itself within a short period of time.

How does the mentoring program / internship work, while working?

I was already engaged in a multitude of leadership activities at my school when I joined the program. I was lucky that my AP signed on as my mentor, and she basically gave me free reign to log hours however I wanted and agreed to rave about me to my professor when he visited Smile

Do you / did you teach in a public school or Jewish school?

I was teaching in public school.

feel free to answer any or all of the questions above, with added anecdotes of your own.

nyer1

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 10:11 pm
Thanks so much! More questions to follow, except I only have mobile across tonight and it's hard to type... Thanks!

One q off the top of my head, do u know if queens offers the program? Specifically masters, not only certificate
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics