Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2 toddlers to the dentist, make 2 sep appts or go together?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 2:06 pm
I have yet to take my 2 & 3 yr old to the dentist. I want to make an appt but can't decide if I should do two separate appointments and bring them each by themselves or bring them together on the same day? My best option would be to bring a babysitter with me but I'm not sure I will be able to find some one. It's a bit of a shlep so that's why making 2 appts would be a bit annoying but Iguess I wanted to hear thoughts on this. Are parents expected to be part of helping hold down the child or do the hygienists do that? (I live in Israel and will be going to a clinic if it makes a difference)

amother

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 4:53 pm
Together, of course. You sit in the dentist chair with one in your lap and when he's done, you seat the other one in your lap. To be honest I don't remember if I first took my kids to the dentist when they were 2 or 3, but we all piled in to the treatment room together, and I made my own appts for the same time. I went last b/c I always have a lot of work to be done & didn't want to scare the kids. before they were seen. Somehow they managed to entertain themselves and stay out of trouble even as I was being treated. But you have to know your kids and if they're going to go wilding around the office when not in the chair. Is there space in the treatment room for a small collapsible stroller for the younger kid while the older one is seen?

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 5:11 pm
I never had a problem taking more than one kid ... that's what a waiting room is for ... or since they're young bring a toy to occupy them & take turns holding them on your lap as the amother mentioned above

it's important to have a positive experience so they continue good dental hygiene when they get bigger

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 5:13 pm
It won't work for everyone, but having the older one go first with the younger one sitting nicely in the room watching may encourage the older one to "be the big brother/sister" and make the younger one feel more comfortable.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 2:52 am
OP here, so that's the thing is I don't know if either of them can entertain themselves long enough without my hovering over them and making sure they don't start touching STUFF. Especially the 2 year old, he is a bit of a troublemaker. Hmm still not sure, any other ideas?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics