Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
3 year-old playing in the middle of the night

tryinghard

Post Mon, Jan 05 2015, 8:35 pm
My (about to be) 3 year-old DS wakes up almost every night, anywhere from 11-4, and plays, or rocks in the rocking chair in his room, or runs laps (!!!!!!) up and down the length of his room. He usually end up being a cranky mess by early afternoon, and often falls asleep in the car, exacerbating the problem - but he does this even on days when he does not take a nap. Any ideas for addressing this?

tryinghard

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 1:13 pm
anyone?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 11:26 am
If you won't enforce staying in bed, would you enforce no noise

tryinghard

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 12:11 pm
It's not so much "won't enforce" as "nothing works". He is difficult to discipline during the daytime, because the only thing that works is locking him in his room - so that's already the case at night. Anyways, I am more concerned about getting him to sleep through the night in the first place, rather than what he's doing once he wakes up. We have tried melatonin but that really only works to help him fall asleep, not stay asleep...

carrot

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 1:12 pm
I've found that whenever my kids do that (at any age) it's a scheduling issue. Too much sleep during the day (or a nap that finishes too late in the day) or a bedtime that's too early or a wake up time that's too late...

Some kids maybe just space out for a while in bed when that happens. But not mine, and maybe not yours.

Why is he taking melatonin to fall asleep? (Curious tone, not critical... I personally love taking melatonin myself sometimes.)

What time is his bedtime and wake up time?

When my kids do this I used to think they would even themselves out by being up in middle of the night and be back on track the next day, but they don't, they just have a tired next day followed by another late afternoon nap because they just can't make it to bedtime, causing the cycle to repeat...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers