Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Introvert with BA in Psychology

amother

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 9:57 am
I have a BA in Psychology, and I need to either find a job or continue for a masters in something. The problem is, that Im an introvert. I cant see myself working with people on a constant basis. I need my quiet and privacy. Its not that Im totally not social, I have a few close friends and definitely talk to neighbors and others. Im just not the outgoing type who constantly needs to socialize and be with people. Anyone have ideas for me?

Sherri

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 12:11 pm
To be a therapist you do not have to be social, you have to be able to connect and help this individual person. Do you like people?
What is your dream job? You are not stuck to something in the mental health field.
And if you do want to work in this field, but do not want to work with people, what about research?

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 12:17 pm
Most counseling work is ideal for introverts, because it is quiet, one-on-one, and for professional reasons, you keep your own life private.

There are those who specialize in working with certain populations -- kids, the elderly, those with certain diagnoses like ADD, etc.

What interests you?

You might find it hepful to read the book, "What Color Is Your Parachute?"

mille

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 12:51 pm
Forget anything clinical, it just doesn't seem to be up your alley or your skill set, then. Nothing wrong with that.

How were your grades in statistics? Many companies hire people with an MA in I/o psych to do data analysis type jobs, you need a good stats background. I have a few friends who got hired to do that sorta thign with a BA in psych with intentions to get the masters.

Do you enjoy research? You could look for research assistant positions. Even though psychology is the study of the brain and behavior, plenty of research involves little interaction with people.

Also, many jobs just require a bachelor's degree and it doesn't really matter what it's in. Cast a wide net.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 11:27 am
Im op. Thanks for your responses. Does anyone have suggestions of careers that would work for me? Thanks

mille

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 11:53 am
amother wrote:
Im op. Thanks for your responses. Does anyone have suggestions of careers that would work for me? Thanks

So...You have several suggestions above, plus a lot of requests for more information. Instead you come back and just ask the same question again? If you give us some idea about you beyond "I'm an introvert" (which is very vague and doesn't necessarily mean anything), maybe you can get some better suggestions. You also haven't told us what you've actually looked at and considered, which makes it difficult to give suggestions.

Being an introvert and not needing social interaction doesn't preclude you from jobs that involve interaction with humans. You need to give us more information, or we can't help.

Or make use of the services at your university and speak to a career counselor.

Sherri

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 12:03 pm
I agree with imasinger- reading a career book such as What Color is My Parachute is a good idea- there's more to you than you've posted, and this way you can get a really good idea of what's out there that can be a good fit for you. You can probably get the book at your local public library.

ETA- and a career counselor is a great idea, too!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics