Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Meaningful Wedding gift for sibling

amother

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 12:30 pm
IYH have a husbands sibling getting married and am totally at a loss for what to get them. I don't want to just buy them something off their registry, I feel it's so impersonal. I want something nice and meaningful. Any ideas?

Sherri

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 12:50 pm
What's your budget?
Do you want to buy something more formal or more fun?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 3:36 pm
OP here
looking for something more formal. Don't want to spend more than $150 if thats possible

MrsMarmite

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 3:52 pm
When my sister got married, I also wanted to give her something meaningful, that she would use often and remind her of me and and the rest of the family (particularly since she was going to live overseas). I ended up making her a cookbook with all my and my other married siblings favorite recipes, typed in categories.. I included pictures of family members (especially if they were making funny faces! I tried to match them up with the recipes) I laminated and bound it at Kinkos. It was a huge success, one of the most meaningful (and time consuming) gifts I ever gave. She really loved it. Its much less than your budget though Smile

amother

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 3:58 pm
Tiffany picture frame (in Tiffany blue of course)- dh's sib gave that to us.

eschaya

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 4:01 pm
My sister wrote me a beautiful, personal poem and gave it to me the morning of my wedding. Was the most meaningful gift I got.

ilovesem

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 4:02 pm
We have a framed gold Birkas habbayis I think it's called. It's a blessing about having a peaceful home that people hang up.

Dev80

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 4:03 pm
What about one of the judaica items they'll need - challah cover, challah board, kiddush cup, ummm what else do we use on Shabbos?? lol We got some of those items from close family friends and it is very meaningful that we use those beautiful items from them on Shabbos.

I love the cookbook idea, time consuming but amazing!

Also think about if there were any meaningful gifts that you got or that you really appreciated?

Or you can do some leatherbound gifts - hadlakas neiros for her, kiddush book for him.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 06 2015, 4:45 pm
amother wrote:
IYH have a husbands sibling getting married and am totally at a loss for what to get them. I don't want to just buy them something off their registry, I feel it's so impersonal. I want something nice and meaningful. Any ideas?

So a while ago one of my sisters got married. The rest of us sibs wanted to buy a 'meaningful' gift. We put alot of time and energy into choosing, and purchased a rather expensive gift. Im not sure if my sister is here so I wont describe, but its the kind of thing that frum people use and need. We purchased from a local shop so that they could exchange for another style if the one we chose didnt suit their tastes. Anyway, turns out, they exchanged it for store credit so they could then give wedding gifts from that store to their friends.
Needless to say I was a bit....disappointed? If I knew thats what they would do with our meaningful gift I probably would have spent less time and money, but a gift is a gift and the recipient can do what they like with it.
So moral of the story, buy something off their registry that you know they want. Include a nice card. They know you love them, that's the meaningful part. The gift is just a token of your love for them.

kiwi strawberry

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 12:55 pm
I've actually seen this elsewhere on imamother and thought it was so nice-

http://www.judaicaplanet.com/f.....lein/

Useful but not typical. Another thing I came across is this place-

http://www.matanel.com/en/home......html

They actually have a store in Boro Park-I don't know where you're located. They have a range of like $20-$500 and everything looked beautiful. I was just there this week and they actually have a sale going on now, like 25% off.

Smile1234

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 5:20 pm
kiwi strawberry wrote:
I've actually seen this elsewhere on imamother and thought it was so nice-

http://www.judaicaplanet.com/f.....lein/

Useful but not typical. Another thing I came across is this place-

http://www.matanel.com/en/home......html

They actually have a store in Boro Park-I don't know where you're located. They have a range of like $20-$500 and everything looked beautiful. I was just there this week and they actually have a sale going on now, like 25% off.

I got the first link you sent as a present and its stuffed in a closet somewhere. I guess its all about taste...

And that being said - I love the gold cutouts from Matanel 2000...

OP if you do buy one of those gold cutouts from Matanel 2000, and you are in Bklyn - a tip - - if you can, have someone order and pay for the one you want in the Jerusalem store, it is much much cheaper, and then you can pick it up in the Boro Park store.

spring13

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 5:31 pm
What about a set of leatherbound benchers with their name stamped on them (Mishpachat Gluckenshpiel or whatever)? I have a set of those that we use every week, and people always comment on how nice they are.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics