Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Terror attack in Paris
1  2  Next

morah

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 8:57 am
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2.....aper/
More and more bad news out of France every day. I worry so much about my family there...

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 10:24 am
morah wrote:
http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/01/07/shooting-reported-at-office-satirical-french-newspaper/
More and more bad news out of France every day. I worry so much about my family there...

Yahoo is using quotes around the word "terrorist." Lovely.

myself

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 10:28 am
Crying

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 10:42 am
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/vide......html

here's a video ...

so messed up - wake up with terror everywhere these days ... what is the world coming to

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 10:54 am
This is horrifying.

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 10:54 am
Every newspaper in France, in Europe, in the world, should publish at least one of the editorial cartoons from Charlie Hebdo tomorrow. Newspapers need to stand strong to show that they will not bow to terrorists.

Oh, wait. Yeah, most of them will bow to terror.

morah

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 10:59 am
Barbara wrote:
Every newspaper in France, in Europe, in the world, should publish at least one of the editorial cartoons from Charlie Hebdo tomorrow. Newspapers need to stand strong to show that they will not bow to terrorists.

France and the rest of Europe need to wake up. They've got a doozy of an immigration problem. I hope Charlie Hebdo (which my dad and I are big fans of) does not try to change anything. #JeSuisCharlie.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 11:47 am
They're now protecting all "medias, religious places, grands magasins and common transportation", including publishing house Flammarion for publishing a book about "what if Islam takes over".

The Pres finally confessed several terror attacks have been thwarted recently, along with those who took place (like the Xmas markets attacks). I thought they would calm down after Nittel as they "only" promised to spoil "the holidays"... Exploding anger Exploding anger

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 11:47 am
morah wrote:
France and the rest of Europe need to wake up. They've got a doozy of an immigration problem. I hope Charlie Hebdo (which my dad and I are big fans of) does not try to change anything. #JeSuisCharlie.

Best editorial cartoon of the day:

From David Pope's twitter account.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 12:06 pm
Some medias title "terrorist" between commas, a certain one exhorted the French to moderation and not becoming racist, and the Muslim tweets are just nauseating. From open praise and insult of the dead to "it was bound to happen with their provocation", blaming right wingers, some Belgian nut is even saying it was organized "a la Bush" by the government...

They're toying with the idea of banning anti-terror attack demos in fear of... more terror attacks, or it turning into riots and breaking everything etc. They should never have reduced the number of policemen...

Banging head Banging head

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.....oting

Last edited by Ruchel on Wed, Jan 07 2015, 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

bandcm

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 12:06 pm
I hope David Pope is in hiding.

The immigrant problem is not so simple, it goes back to the days of empires. It is not a new issue, but since radical Islam has been on the upsurge, it is being felt more. I grew up in the UK with a huge Muslim Pakistani community round the corner, and we never felt any fear. The Jews and the Pakistanis share a major shopping thoroughfare. It was just part of life, like the Bangladeshis and the Sikhs. Peaceful people. The last ten years or so have become much more troubling.

And what the Indians and Pakistanis are to the UK, the Algerians and Moroccans are to France.

lech lecha08

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 1:40 pm
Barbara wrote:

One news site is already blurring the drawing of Muhammad from the magazine's cover page

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 1:48 pm
lech lecha08 wrote:
One news site is already blurring the drawing of Muhammad from the magazine's cover page

From The Daily Beast:

Quote:
The Associated Press, the world’s largest news collective, said Wednesday it is deleting photos of the Charlie Hebdo magazine covers that depict the Prophet Muhammad. AP said its official policy is to censor the photos. “None of the images distributed by AP showed cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad,” said spokesman Paul Colford on the day that terrorists killed 12 people, including several cartoonists, at the magazine. “It’s been our policy for years that we refrain from moving deliberately provocative images.” Several news organizations, including the New York Daily News and London Telegraph, cropped out or pixelated Charlie Hebdo magazine covers showing Muhammad. You can see a gallery of the magazine’s most controversial covers below.

We should all support news sites like The Daily Beast that don't give in to terrorists.

chickpea_salad

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 2:35 pm
There is a very big problem with Islamic extremism in the UK, but there are many many muslims who think that violence is the antithesis of their religious beliefs. I think that moderate muslims are the west's best defence against Islamists.

Anti-terror agencies already utilize moderate muslims to help ward off attacks. I think the media needs to do the same. I also think the government needs to work more with moderate muslims and Imam's to help immigrants integrate into western society while preserving the peaceful elements of their religious practice.

There are newsagents in the city that I live with posters (in english, I saw one) calling for the death of Jews and the destruction of Israel. The police will not touch them for fear of creating controversy, which is cowardly and dangerous, but there wouldn't be any controversy if it were muslims telling muslims not to incite violence.

Like it or not, the muslim population is not only well established in western countries, but is getting bigger, fast. We have a very narrow window of opportunity to turn the extremists around before they forever reshape our societies.

mirah2

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 3:06 pm
Crying Crying

And already the response 'I hope there isn't a Muslim backlash' is getting on my nerves (anyone remember the Australian hashtag #I'llRideWithYou while the Sydney siege was still going on?)

As someone who has done interfaith, lived in a Muslim country and respects tolerant, moderate Muslims, I get frustrated when liberals focus on this response instead of asking hard questions of the Muslim community - like, what are you actually doing to reverse the spread of Islamic extremism, hatred and incitement to violence?

From what I can see, this is a big problem in the Muslim world and while there are some brave Muslims trying to tackle this, they aren't numerous or strong enough. So as much as I don't like seeing bigotry against Muslims, jmho just piously wishing there isn't a backlash isn't the right response at this time...

Exploding anger

mirah2

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 3:09 pm
chickpea_salad wrote:
There is a very big problem with Islamic extremism in the UK, but there are many many muslims who think that violence is the antithesis of their religious beliefs. I think that moderate muslims are the west's best defence against Islamists.

Anti-terror agencies already utilize moderate muslims to help ward off attacks. I think the media needs to do the same. I also think the government needs to work more with moderate muslims and Imam's to help immigrants integrate into western society while preserving the peaceful elements of their religious practice.

There are newsagents in the city that I live with posters (in english, I saw one) calling for the death of Jews and the destruction of Israel. The police will not touch them for fear of creating controversy, which is cowardly and dangerous, but there wouldn't be any controversy if it were muslims telling muslims not to incite violence.

Like it or not, the muslim population is not only well established in western countries, but is getting bigger, fast. We have a very narrow window of opportunity to turn the extremists around before they forever reshape our societies.

Agreed. The problem is, from what I see the moderates aren't loud enough or strong enough in the overall Muslim community to make an impact (even with government help)...

chickpea_salad

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 3:17 pm
mirah2 wrote:
Agreed. The problem is, from what I see the moderates aren't loud enough or strong enough in the overall Muslim community to make an impact (even with government help)...

I think that the reason we don't hear about moderate muslims making a difference in their communities is because a) it is not an exciting news story and b) they are often doing it as a member of a mosque or muslim charity that we would have no interaction with.

(I disagree at least in theory, we would have to try something anything it to know the outcome)

chickpea_salad

Post Wed, Jan 07 2015, 3:21 pm
mirah2 wrote:

As someone who has done interfaith, lived in a Muslim country and respects tolerant, moderate Muslims, I get frustrated when liberals focus on this response instead of asking hard questions of the Muslim community - like, what are you actually doing to reverse the spread of Islamic extremism, hatred and incitement to violence?

I think this is an important question to ask.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 11:50 am
Well it's going on and on and on.

Cop shooting this morning. Guy faked an accident, cops arrived, and he shot.

High security for ALL schools, as in cops with rifles (they got the rifles and bulletproof jackets back on, bh for them) and barriers and all. Outings cancelled in all Parisian area for schools. Paranoia around medias, publishing houses, malls... this morning the Northern Parisian area was "to be avoided due to manhunt". what else. Oh yeah the nearby mall closed all doors besides 2 doors WHERE THERE ARE CHECK IN WITH SECURITY GUYS GOING THROUGH YOUR PURSE and despite it's second day of low prices there is basically very few ppl. I'm not used to that, didn't "sign" for that, and hope strongly to be able to go to America iyh. Because the ministers are NOT reassuring (in a way at least they don't lie). Sigh I'm not made for that...

sneakermom

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 12:00 pm
Ruchel I can't tell you happy I was to hear you post today and yesterday. I'm sure I'm not the only poster worried for all French amothers. For all French Jews for that matter.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics