Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Strollers
PLEASE help me with a stroller!
1  2  Next

happy bday

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 9:43 am
Hi, I'm due soon IM"H with my first, and I have become stroller OBSSESSED. There are so many out there today and its a bit overwhelming. Ive tried narrowing down my choices and would love firsthand advice. I live in Israel without a car- so it needs to be easy and light to push- up hills and in tighter spaces. I still need it to be car seat compatible for taxis. I really would like a reversible seat that lays flat for a newborn(If I need to put in an insert, I will). And I need to feel that it's good quality. I am not planning to spend a fortune, so please none of the fancy high end ones (even though I love them Smile) So far I came up with:

1. City Versa- don't love the look, but like that its a brand name quality that I can trust. Also the fold is great and Ive read lots of good reviews. Doesn't seem to be so good for newborn though.
2. Uppababy Cruz- 100$ more than the versa, so though I love how it looks, I need to know that I'm paying for more than that. They have a lot of the same features, but like that this one lays flatter
3. Quinny Zapp xtra with folding seat- found this for a good price with included carseat. Cant seem to find many customer reviews though. I'm afraid it doesn't look like such great quality.
4.Contours options 3 wheeler- Its a great price, but I'm a little skeptical that its not a very good stroller because of that. Again, not too many reviews.

If anyone has any of these and can help me, I would really appreciate it!! Thanks!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 10:01 am
Your first two are both good choices, it depends if you want a flat seat or v shaped. I like the look of the cruz much better personally. Pretty much any non-umbrella stroller will have an option to attach a car seat adapter. The second two are not good choices for your needs IMO, the push is not comparable to the others.

smoms

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 10:18 am
Note the UppaBaby Cruz seat does not lay flat (unless you get the bassinet), it's more of a car seat shape with the baby's feet angled upwards. When my baby was a newborn, I absolutely hated it. I still don't love it, but my baby sleeps quite well in it. It also has a very bulky fold, I would not recommend it for car travel. I do love the basket and incredible ease of maneuvering and wheeling.

Originally, I had wanted to get the Mamas and Papas Armadillo, but it was so new I couldn't find any reviews on it. Now there's Armadillo Flip available as well. Both are reasonably priced.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 10:23 am
I don't find the Cruz fold to be bulky at all, unless you're comparing to an umbrella stroller. It folds easily too.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 10:29 am
I have the Cruz. I love it.

Pros:
Wheels nicely, HUGE basket, sturdy, sleek design, narrow enough to wheel down store aisles

Cons:
Big and heavy. (Not as big and heavy as other strollers such as bugaboo or uppababy vista, but it is pretty big and heavy.) Doesn't fold up when the seat is facing towards you- you first have to move the seat to be facing the other way, if it isn't already. I think you need two hands to fold it (I guess that's pretty much any stroller, though.). I would imagine it would be kinda bulky on bus or cab, but I don't have firsthand experience.

Despite the cons, I love this stroller.

happy bday

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 11:50 am
Thanks for the replies! Anyone else have information on the Cruz vs. Versa? So far it seems like the only thing better about the cruz is its look...am I right? Does anyone have the versa? Thanks again!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 11:58 am
Cruz is a little lighter.

Miri7

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 12:26 pm
I have the Cruz and love it. I got the newborn insert and my baby loved it as a newborn. It reclines so it's a nice snuggle nest. We borrowed a bassinet attachment but didn't use it a lot. You can buy a bar to make it car seat compatible.

wiki

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 10:14 am
If you're thinking of getting the matching bassinet, or getting a carseat that is compatible to put into the stroller, then the City Versa become more like 3-400 dollars cheaper than the Cruz. With Uppababy, their separate bassinet costs a fortune, and their carseat is also a lot more expensive than Graco or something.

A huge number of my neighbors have the Versa. It is heavy, but very good quality. People who have it love the fold, the basket and the push.

And IMO, it's one of the best values out there in strollers.

If you want sleeker and lighter, look into the Armadillo Flip. I've never seen one, but the specs look very exciting. If I were in the market for a stroller now, that's the one I'd want to find and test drive.

happy bday

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 2:18 pm
I Know that the uppababy carseat is a lot more expensive...however, I think you can buy an adaptor to fit most carseats for it- which together will still be cheaper than the uppababy!

Do you know if the versa is hard to push because of its weight, or its just hard to lift? I don't think I'd be so worried abut the weight if it was just hard to lift, because I don't have a car

And the armadillo flip looks great, but I haven't seen it anywhere for less than 500$ Sad

amother

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 2:46 pm
wiki wrote:
If you're thinking of getting the matching bassinet, or getting a carseat that is compatible to put into the stroller, then the City Versa become more like 3-400 dollars cheaper than the Cruz. With Uppababy, their separate bassinet costs a fortune, and their carseat is also a lot more expensive than Graco or something.

A huge number of my neighbors have the Versa. It is heavy, but very good quality. People who have it love the fold, the basket and the push.

And IMO, it's one of the best values out there in strollers.

If you want sleeker and lighter, look into the Armadillo Flip. I've never seen one, but the specs look very exciting. If I were in the market for a stroller now, that's the one I'd want to find and test drive.

versa is pretty heavy for in and outa taxis. (dont need carseat in Israel, I always hold baby in taxi, usually nurse or simply hold) also a pain to open w/ one hand bec latch locks. otherwise I like it. I love that can face baby. I got snack tray instead of ordering bar bec I put cheerios on etc. also basket is big so I loaded up but tore bec was rubbing on pavement. I got mine for less than 200. it's usually 220 then got 20% discount. you have to talk long enough to amazon chat to allow 20 off of stroller.

anon bec I tell e/o how cheap can get for!
b'sha tova

amother

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 3:13 pm
I have a Versa and live in Israel! I'm happy to tell you about it. (Going amother as I'm sharing slightly revealing info. If you want to PM me w/ more questions, just respond that you do and I"ll PM you b"n.)
I like it, but don't love it. I used it for my baby when she was a newborn. I got one of those snuzzlers (it's an insert that holds the babies head and back) and leaned it on the furthest back setting. The baby looked comfortable. I even got a lot of comments that it looked so perfect that ppl thought it really was for a newborn or it was meant only for a newborn and not for an older baby because it kinda tilts up (hard to explain) instead of being a seat that leans back. The only part that was tricky was getting the buckles just right. (I often just skipped the buckles.)

Overall, the stroller has a great push. I love looking at the baby and I love the hand-break. The big basket is also great. I happen to like the look, but I'm comparing the look to cityminis. The Versa is way more sleek and sophisticated looking! I also like the 4 wheels. This is my first stroller, but I've heard that 4 wheels has much more stability, not to mention easier for buses and stairs.

Now, for the negatives. The main problem I have w/ the stroller is that it's heavy. Heavy makes it hard to lift (inter-city buses, putting the stroller into the compartment) and makes stairs more difficult. A 26 lb. *stroller + a 18 lb. baby + often groceries is a big shlep. I think weight is a biggie. But, I will say that it does increase stability. The light strollers tip much more easily.
The stroller also does not have the easiest fold. The demos make it look like a piece of cake, but IRL at least IME, it takes two hands to fold. I'm not super strong and I don't fold it often, so maybe someone who is and does could do it, but not me, especially not PP. It's a 2 step fold. First, you fold the seat and then pull a strap and the rest of the stroller folds. Although, from reading reviews, I see that most parent-facing don't fold as easily and the seat has to be reversed for a neat fold. So, maybe this fold is easy comparatively. In my head, I'm comparing it to the citymini which is MUCH easier to fold and MUCH lighter.
I also find that the sun canopy does not protect my baby adequately. If it's sunny and I'm standing the wrong way, the sun usually gets in her eyes, even w/ the canopy! This bothers me.

If I were going to vote for the best stroller for Israel, I would vote for the City Mini 4 wheel. I did research for a friend after I already had my stroller and this is what I came up w/. I'm a first time mother, but IIRC (from younger siblings), the parent facing option gets boring when the baby is older and wants to look around and gets annoying for the mother when she wants the baby to fall asleep, but the baby gets distracted by her. The parent facing option is nice especially w/o the basinett b/c you can check on them. But, if I could go back in time (didn't have internet when baby was born and didn't do a lot of research. The Versa was relatively cheap and looked good..) this wouldn't be my main deciding factor when deciding to buy a stroller, although it is a nice plus (my baby is 6 mos. and were both currently enjoying it.) If you are buying a carseat attachment anyway, I think your baby will face you.

I personally could not handle buying a citymini. I like to look unique and they're just too popular! But, I am seeing that they are popular for a reason as they really are good strollers especially for Israel.

*IIRC

amother

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 3:22 pm
amother wrote:
versa is pretty heavy for in and outa taxis. (dont need carseat in Israel, I always hold baby in taxi, usually nurse or simply hold) also a pain to open w/ one hand bec latch locks. otherwise I like it. I love that can face baby. I got snack tray instead of ordering bar bec I put cheerios on etc. also basket is big so I loaded up but tore bec was rubbing on pavement. I got mine for less than 200. it's usually 220 then got 20% discount. you have to talk long enough to amazon chat to allow 20 off of stroller.

anon bec I tell e/o how cheap can get for!
b'sha tova

I responded below. I agree w/ you about the car seat. I didn't bother getting one that's attached to the stroller b/c I usually use buses. But, I don't think the minhag of holding babies in taxis is safe, so I bought a carseat to use when I need it, but it does not attach to the stroller. Although, I might invest in the adapter one day b/c newborns like carseats and even though, I used the snuzzler, the straps are not newborn friendly or maybe I'd get the bassinet. Also great for newborns and can be used as a bed. BUT, I don't know if I would've gotten either or all 3 all at once, when the baby was born, b/c it is an investment and possibly a rip-off if hardly used or only used for 3 mos.

I don't understand what you wrote about amazon chat. Can you elaborate?

happy bday

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 5:45 pm
Thanks for all that info! Im making myself a little crazy...was just looking at the mamas and papas sola2....does anyone know anything about it?

Also, do you know of a store in Israel where I can check these out? Would love to see them firsthand....

luppamom

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 2:15 am
happy bday wrote:
Thanks for all that info! Im making myself a little crazy...was just looking at the mamas and papas sola2....does anyone know anything about it?

Also, do you know of a store in Israel where I can check these out? Would love to see them firsthand....

Chasdei Shmuel in Ezrat Torah has a lot of strollers, but not sure if they have these specific ones. Maybe call them and ask them if it's a shlep for you. They should be listed in the Newcomers Guide.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 2:40 am
I find it hard to fold w/ one hand bec. of the Baby Jogger Parent Console I have, otherwise closing is one hand (w/ bending to look and see) but opening is 2 hands!
About facing baby, totally agree. My baby never would want to sit in carriage, I always held baby and pushed carriage until my friend mid walking suggested I turned the seat away from me.
It helped somewhat and got much better in stroller. So if getting bassinet/infant seat then by time they outgrow it doesn't matter if facing you.
I loved my Maclaren for toddler stage. Extremely light for stairs but not much storage but good handles.
amother wrote:
I don't understand what you wrote about amazon chat. Can you elaborate?

If you find 20% coupon for some reason won't apply to stroller. But if you go to chatting w/ rep and beg enough they s/t will apply it. You have to find the 20 off baby gear coupon that comes out from time to time. Maybe did for me bec I shop TONS on amazon.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 2:51 am
amother wrote:
I find it hard to fold w/ one hand bec. of the Baby Jogger Parent Console I have, otherwise closing is one hand (w/ bending to look and see) but opening is 2 hands!
About facing baby, totally agree. My baby never would want to sit in carriage, I always held baby and pushed carriage until my friend mid walking suggested I turned the seat away from me.
It helped somewhat and got much better in stroller. So if getting bassinet/infant seat then by time they outgrow it doesn't matter if facing you.
I loved my Maclaren for toddler stage. Extremely light for stairs but not much storage but good handles.
If you find 20% coupon for some reason won't apply to stroller. But if you go to chatting w/ rep and beg enough they s/t will apply it. You have to find the 20 off baby gear coupon that comes out from time to time. Maybe did for me bec I shop TONS on amazon.

I'm the amother you quoted. That's really interesting about the coupon. Yes, folding it is not nearly has hard as opening it back up! IMO, that's the worst part. It kind of locks and you have to unlock it and then unfold it which requires kinda lifting up the stroller and as I said, it's heavy. But, as I said, I can't do either while holding the baby. It could be if I practiced more, I could. In general, I hardly ever have to fold it b/c I'm usually going on and off buses and I just put it by the wheel chair section. There was maybe only one time so far, when the bus was so crowded w/ strollers that it needed to be folded.

Anyway, if you're trying out strollers, might be a good idea to try someone's brand new one. For some reason, I think that strollers get easier as they get some wear and tare. Meaning I think they get easier to fold. If you want to know what your stroller will be like the first 6 months or how ever long, it might be worth trying a new one. Also, don't be blinded by those movies. Make sure you try whatever you decide out first. Like a shaitel, you can't know what you really need until there's a baby in there, you're pp and you're using it regularly. But, if you want to do the best histadlus, you gotta try them out. The ones in the stores are great, but keep in mind, that they were probably folded and unfolded MANY times which makes it easier.

spring13

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 11:05 am
Check out the Valco Spark (it's on sale on their website for $300).

wiki

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 1:39 pm
If you're considering the City Mini 4Wheel (which really is *everywhere* in Israel), definitely also consider the Valco Snap4. The rear wheels are two inches bigger and it weighs 15 pounds instead of City Mini's 20.

In the same league as the Cruz and Versa and Armadillo Flip would be the new Snap Ultra, which looks pretty great in every way except for the bulky fold.

happy bday

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 2:24 pm
I liked the valco spark but I was worried that air filled wheels may be annoying- can puncture or get flat...also the footrest looks really short for when the baby gets bigger...gonna look at the ultra. Thanks for the advice!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics