Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Thought Provoking Songs Like Cats In The Cradle
Previous  1  2  3  Next

animeme

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 10:52 pm
A bunch of Billy Joel songs, like Allentown, Goodnight Saigon, Downeaster Alexa. Piano man, maybe.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 10:54 pm
PinkFridge wrote:

Peter Paul and Mary songs - e.g. Lemon Tree and another one that's tickling my brain

The only one I know of theirs is "Don't Laugh at Me" -- love the message in it.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 11:01 pm
Kenny Rogers -- I am the Greatest

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 11:08 pm
"Starry Night" by Don McLean.

penguin

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 11:12 pm
Greenfire, you beat me to it.

Ode to Billy Joe
If you could read my mind
You don't send me flowers anymore
The First Time Ever I saw your face
Killing me softly

(we are all dating ourselves, no?)

imasinger

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 11:15 pm
Janis Ian - Seventeen

You're So Vain

Last edited by imasinger on Thu, Jan 08 2015, 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

anon for this

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 11:23 pm
I'm not a country music fan, but you don't need to be one to appreciate Glen Campbell's last song, I'm Not Gonna Miss You. It's about his decline due to Alzheimer's disease:

video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8TsAh-zYFI

sequoia

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 11:55 pm
Alanis -- Princes Familiar

grace413

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 1:58 am
penguin wrote:

(we are all dating ourselves, no?)

That's ok, I'm enjoying the trip down memory lane.

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 6:41 am
Someone saved my life tonight - Elton John
Lyin' eyes - Eagles
Ripple - Greatful Dead

greenhelm

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 7:07 am
Time - Pink Floyd

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 8:32 am
If you want pretty and trite, there's also Searching for Space (John Denver).

watergirl

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 9:35 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
The only one I know of theirs is "Don't Laugh at Me" -- love the message in it.

Love that song. It really makes me cry every time. Op, also the circle game and one tin soldier could work for your project.

musicmom

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 10:00 am
where have all the flowers gone

CatLady

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 10:16 am
One Republic: "I Lived"

The video is also inspiring - it features a One Republic fan who's a teenager with cystic fibrosis, discussing his illness, his shortened life expectancy, and so on. I can't watch it without crying.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 10:47 am
Not to hijack, but this could be interesting discussion (just not what Debsey has in mind). Tie a Yellow Ribbon (Tony Orlando and Dawn) is about someone who's coming out of jail. When did it become popular to do that for POWs, soldiers, etc.? Was there every any objection or discussion of this? (Actually, I'm not that curious.)

penguin

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 11:41 am
There's a song about the fellow who was saved in the Sbarro bombing because someone else offered him his place in line and was wounded (or s/t like that), and then he went to visit the wounded person when he came to the US for surgery, and wasn't in his office at the Twin Towers. I don't remember the name of it but I'm sure someone does.

I suppose it would qualify as narrative?

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 12:51 pm

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 1:17 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Not to hijack, but this could be interesting discussion (just not what Debsey has in mind). Tie a Yellow Ribbon (Tony Orlando and Dawn) is about someone who's coming out of jail. When did it become popular to do that for POWs, soldiers, etc.? Was there every any objection or discussion of this? (Actually, I'm not that curious.)

actually, it was aquite the opposite - first came the war & then came the 70's song regarding homecoming from jail ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_ribbon
Code:
Early Puritan history

The song/poem "She wore a yellow ribbon" has appeared in various forms for at least four centuries. It is based upon the same general theme: A woman of destiny is under some sort of test or trial as she waits for her beloved to return. Will she be true to him? This seems to be the lingering question and the basis for a great unfolding drama.

The song appears to have been brought to America from Europe by English settlers. The origin of the yellow ribbons seems likely to have come from out of the Puritan heritage. It was during the English Civil War that the Puritan Army of English Parliament wore yellow ribbons and yellow sashes onto the battlefield.[citation needed]

Code:
The symbol became widely known in civilian life in the 1970s. It was the central theme of the popular song "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree", Written by Irwin Levine and L. Russell Brown and recorded by Tony Orlando and Dawn (among many others), as the sign a released convict requested from his wife or lover to indicate that she would welcome him home. He would be able to see it from the bus driving by their house, and would stay on the bus in the absence of the ribbon. He turned out to be very welcome: there were a hundred yellow ribbons.

similarly was the song titled 'unchained melody' by the righteous brothers

Code:
In 1936, songwriter Alex North approached Bing Crosby with the still untitled song. Crosby turned the song down and it remained unrecorded for almost twenty years.[5] In 1955, North and lyricist Hy Zaret were contracted to write a song as a theme for the prison film Unchained,[6] and their song eventually became known as the "Unchained Melody". The song does not actually include the word "unchained", and songwriter Zaret chose instead to focus his lyrics on someone who pines for a lover he has not seen in a "long, lonely time".[6] The 1955 film centers around a man who contemplates either escaping from prison to live life on the run, or completing his sentence and returning to his wife and family.[6] The song has an unusual harmonic device in that the bridge ends on the tonic chord, rather than the more usual dominant.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 1:41 pm
Because of you, kelly clarkson

Not so deep or anything but directly ties to needing therapy because of past experiences
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics