Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Help me not yell

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 7:43 pm
I always yell at kids
I want to give my kids a happy atmosphere at home but I always ruin it , like I get very irritated when kids fight, and instead of handling the fight I would just yell for them to stop
Or when kids don't obey- don't get dressed, don't go into bed (they come out too many times to count) after handling it calmly (and firmly) first few times , the next time I erupt
By the time I get peace and quiet at night can sometimes be at 11:00 (my oldest is 9)
Any tips to stay calm and get kids to behave?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 8:15 pm
Have you ever gone to parenting classes?

the world's best mom

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 8:57 pm
I recommend reading a parenting book or taking a course. Most of them will be helpful. I believe a lot of the yelling comes from not knowing how to deal with the kids effectively, so you resort to that. If you have a plan to follow, yelling won't be necessary.

debsey

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 9:50 pm
You're asking for help in "not" doing something. But it doesn't seem you have an idea what you SHOULD be doing instead. That's what a parenting class will give you - the strategies and techniques that you will use to REPLACE yelling.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 08 2015, 9:57 pm
Op, I'm a big screamer. Ruining my children.
Lately I'm a lot better BH, what I do is keep my tone down.
I just don't allow myself to yell. I picture all my neighbors standing at my door listening.
I just concentrate on my tone.
Tone
Tone
Tone

I still make mistakes, but at least I'm usually in control of myself.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics