Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Attacks on Paris kosher shop, hostages
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 11:04 am
Latest update here: http://www.israelnationalnews......89735

Crying I'm so upset I can barely type. My hands are shaking.

MOSCHIACH NOW!!!

debsey

Post Fri, Jan 09 2015, 11:35 am
OMG the picture of the mother with the baby has my heart in my throat. BARUCH HASHEM she's alright and her baby is OK.

Chayelle- I think that a WOMAN, holding a MOTHER and INFANT hostage, is what's horrifying us. I hear all the hostage takers are dead. What a waste of a life, to hold people hostage and then get shot by police, for what? Just for hatred.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 1:23 pm
Shavua tov, ladies. I just heard an amazing story from a friend of mine whose parents live in Paris. The moment I heard the incident was in southeast Paris, I called her as I remember that's the area her family lives.

She told me her mother usually goes to the same supermarket after lunch on Fridays, but decided to take care of shopping first thing I the morning yesterday. The attack took place around just after 1pm paris time. Hashgacha pratit, one may say.

mfb

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 3:26 pm
I can't seem find the final report. Were there casualties in the end or not?

Raisin

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 3:31 pm
4 hostages were killed at the beginning of the attack. All men. One (I think Cohen) was killed when he tried to attack the terrorist with a discarded gun.

Yohan Cohen (22), Philip Braham (40), Francois-Michel Saada (60s) and Yoav Hattab (21)

Yoav is said to be the son of the Grand Rabbo of Tunis.

blueberries

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 3:59 pm
Warning graphic images

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new......html

mfb

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 3:59 pm
Bd"e

Hashem yinkom damam!

I was hoping all shabbos to hear otherwise Sad

naomi6

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 4:47 pm
What's with the jewelry store Yeshiva world wrote 2 hostages before Shabbos. What's happening to this world

blueberries

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 5:15 pm
One hostage at a Paris supermarket was tragically killed while trying to protect others when he made a grab for terrorist Amedy Coulibaly's gun not realising it had stopped working.

He was the hostage who tried to be a hero. As terror reigned inside the Hyper Cacher supermarket, one captive displayed astonishing courage by trying to tackle Amedy Coulibaly, the terrorist holding innocent shoppers and store workers at gunpoint.

Coulibaly had left one of his weapons on a shop counter but remained armed with at least one Kalashnikov rifle. One of the hostages, a customer at the kosher supermarket, made a grab for the gun, lifted it off the counter and aimed it at Coulibaly, whose back was turned. What the hostage had not realised was that Coulibaly had discarded the firearm because it had stopped working in the moments after he had fired it off and taken control of the shop.

The hostage squeezed the trigger but the gun jammed once more. Coulibaly turned around and fired at the man. He died on the spot.

The victim was one of four people murdered in the Hyper Cacher by Coulibaly, a 32-year-old jihadist who had sworn allegiance to the Islamic State. The victims were named yesterday by the French Board of Jewish Deputies as Yoav Hattab, Philippe Braham, Yohan Cohen and Francois-Michel Saada.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 5:19 pm
It is being reported that Lassana Bathily a Muslim employee of the store hid customers in the freezer to save them from the terrorists. He escaped via a service elevator and provided police with vital information.

blueberries

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 5:21 pm
Muslim Employee of Kosher Market in Paris Praised for Hiding Customers From Gunman

As the authorities in France worked on Saturday to piece together the sequence of events at a kosher supermarket in Paris where a gunman and four hostages were killed on Friday, there was an outpouring of praise online for a young employee credited with saving the lives of some customers by hiding them in a cold-storage room.

The employee, Lassana Bathily, 24, was identified in the French news as a Muslim from Mali who worked at the supermarket, Hyper Cacher, near the Porte de Vincennes in eastern Paris.

In an interview with the French channel BFMTV, Mr. Bathily said he ushered about 15 people into the basement room after the gunman burst into the shop. He then turned off the power and the lights.

“We were locked in there,” he said. “I told them to calm down, not make any noise, or else if he hears that we’re there, he can come down and kill us.”

Lassana Bathily, an employee of the Hyper Cacher market in Paris, described the hostage crisis in an interview on French television.

BFMTV, via YouTube

Later in the four-hour siege, Mr. Bathily decided to leave the room and try to escape through a freight elevator leading to the attic. He encouraged others to join him, he said, but they were worried that the gunman, identified by the police as Amedy Coulibaly, would be able to hear them if they used that escape route and decided to remain hidden.

When Mr. Bathily escaped and emerged from the market while Mr. Coulibaly was still inside, he was ordered by the police to lie down and put his hands on his head. “I was a bit confused,” he told BFMTV, perhaps not having considered that he could have been mistaken for a militant.

Video that appeared to show that scene unfolding was recorded by a witness from a service station near the market and broadcast on Friday by Europe 1, another French television channel.

Video of a man being detained by the French police on Friday during a hostage crisis at a kosher market near Porte de Vincennes in Paris.

Europe 1, via YouTube

Mr. Bathily was then placed in handcuffs “for an hour and a half,” he said, but eventually was able to help the authorities plan their operation to liberate the hostages by describing the layout of the shop and assuring the police that they could safely break down the market’s front door without endangering the civilians inside.

The customers hiding in the basement were also in contact with the police by telephone, Mr. Bathily said.

When the people he had hidden came out at the end of the siege, Mr. Bathily said, “they congratulated me.”

“They said, ‘Really, thanks for thinking of all these ideas.’ I said, ‘It’s nothing, it’s life.' ”

As news of his heroics spread on Saturday, there were numerous calls on social networks to reward him for his bravery with either the Legion of Honor, France’s highest award, or French citizenship.

Some observers also connected his actions to the hashtag used to praise Ahmed Merabet, a Muslim police officer killed on Wednesday by the gunmen who launched the deadly attack on the offices of Charlie Hebdo, a satirical weekly.

blueberries

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 5:25 pm
Islamic terrorist Amedy Coulibaly tried to justify his actions to the hostages he held at a kosher supermarket in France on Friday, telling them if you "leave the Muslims alone, we will leave you alone," according to a recording.

The conversation was recorded, without Coulibaly's knowledge, by France's RTL radio station, after he picked up the phone and failed to hang up properly.

According to the RTL recording, the French-born convert to Islam called his action revenge in retaliation for French military action in Mali, Western bombardment of Syria, attacks on the Islamic State and France's ban on women wearing full head coverings in public. Coulibaly also quoted Osama Bin Laden: "Like he said: You will never taste peace. We are the ones who will make peace in Palestine." (Haaretz)

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 7:28 pm
Mrs Bissli wrote:
Shavua tov, ladies. I just heard an amazing story from a friend of mine whose parents live in Paris. The moment I heard the incident was in southeast Paris, I called her as I remember that's the area her family lives.

She told me her mother usually goes to the same supermarket after lunch on Fridays, but decided to take care of shopping first thing I the morning yesterday. The attack took place around just after 1pm paris time. Hashgacha pratit, one may say.

I heard R' Dovid Kupinsky, brother of one of the Har Nof kedoshim speak and it really helped me understand these kinds of stories. On one hand, we're heartened by them, OTOH, is it callous? What should our reaction be? And according to what he said, there is something to be gleaned from these stories of hashgacha pratis. We really do have to recognize it. Yes, there were some people who were in shul and normally weren't and that too was hashgacha pratis. So these stories are important.

May Hashem comfort the families in France b'soch aveilei Tziyon v'Yrushalayim. May we know no more sorrow, and may we always feel connected, even not in times of crisis. Gut voch.

DrMom

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 11:24 pm
A common "talkback" comment in many articles about the Paris attacks:

Quote:
This attack only underscores the need for France to immediately engage in negotiations with French Muslims that will result in the creation of two states for two peoples living side by side in peace and security with Paris as a shared capital.

DrMom

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 11:37 pm
This man is a hero. His name is Lassana Bathily, a Muslim immigrant from Mali, and he is a clerk in the kosher supermarket that was attacked. He saved 15 hostages, including an infant, by helping them hide in the supermarket's freezer.

http://www.inquisitr.com/17439.....acks/

Edit: I see blueberries already posted this info. Wave

myself

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 1:12 am
So shocked and shaken Crying

etky

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 1:33 am
DrMom wrote:

Quote:
This attack only underscores the need for France to immediately engage in negotiations with French Muslims that will result in the creation of two states for two peoples living side by side in peace and security with Paris as a shared capital.

Or as Bennett said to Livni in the wake of the attack:
"Why don't you get on a plane to Paris to solve the problems there? Maybe you should manage the negotiations, offer them a political horizon, because therein lies the solution. Tell them to end the occupation in return for peace and apologize for the cartoon. It always works. "

"Explain to them that peace is made with enemies - that there is a partner, and that maybe they should divide Paris and give half to the fundamentalist Muslims. Maybe tell them that you're not against the cartoons per se but rather the timing - they should consider when to publish them or not."

Sanguine

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 1:42 am
etky wrote:

DrMom wrote:
Quote:
Or as Bennett said to Livni in the wake of the attack:
"Why don't you get on a plane to Paris to solve the problems there? Maybe you should manage the negotiations, offer them a political horizon, because therein lies the solution. Tell them to end the occupation in return for peace and apologize for the cartoon. It always works. "

"Explain to them that peace is made with enemies - that there is a partner, and that maybe they should divide Paris and give half to the fundamentalist Muslims. Maybe tell them that you're not against the cartoons per se but rather the timing - they should consider when to publish them or not."

Maybe they just need re-education

Raisin

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 6:09 am
The day before, it is believed that Coulibaly set off to commit an attack at a Jewish school in Montrouge (there are two, it is not certain which one, both were informed to shut down) Instead there was an road accident just before he reached the school and he was stopped, and he killed a policewoman instead. The next day he went to attack the supermarket instead.

The plans for the school(s) were found in his car, with entrances and exits marked.

Also, the terrorist realised that there were people hiding in the basement and he told the cashier to go and get them and bring them upstairs. She went downstairs and told them this and two men volunteered to come up, and these men were killed. (One when he tried to grab the gun)

Worst story - the terrorist told the cashier to close the shutters. One man had no idea attack was going on and needed challah for shabbos and is approaching the shop. He thought they were closing and tries to enter, and the girl tries to warn him to go away, but the terrorist hears, and tells her to let him in, and kills him.

(all these I heard from local french shliach)

luppamom

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 7:02 am
Were any people injured? Are there people still in the need of tefillos?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics