Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Rabbi Kaplan Shabbos table shiurim + other question

LO

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 8:49 pm
I just read somewhere that Rabbi Dovid Kaplan has shiurim about how to conduct a Shabbos table. Does anyone know where I can get them?

In general, I would love some ideas of how to make a Shabbos table more interesting for kids. I find it difficult because the husband is usually the leader but I find that my husband will not initiate this stuff and is usually too tired to keep up even the stuff that I would suggest to him. So what can I, as a mother, do to make it more fun and engaging? I have twin 8 yr old girls and a 2 yr old, and right now we basically eat (barely convincing the kids and husband to leave their books and come to the table) and then go back to our books. embarrassed

Thanks for your advice!

mommy1108

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 2:11 am
I think there is a guide in his latest book (Shabbos table impact). He is really so amazing at this stuff. It's very helpful. Enjoy!

Last edited by mommy1108 on Sun, Jan 11 2015, 2:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Iymnok

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 3:00 am
We have a rule of no books at the table. Only sefarim if you share a shtickel from it.
Singing and stories.
The trick is preparation.

LO

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 7:45 am
Thanks, I will check out the book. Keep the ideas coming!

LO

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 8:30 pm
BUMP! Please, everyone, share what you (as mothers) do to make your Shabbos table a positive experience for the kids! I am not particular that they have to sit at the table the whole time, but I do want it be more than just eating up your food and running away. Thanks!

mha3484

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 8:53 pm
My son is 4. In between the fish and soup, dh asks him his parsha questions and he tells us about the project he made that week. If he stays awake after soup he chooses zmiros and they sing.

At lunch, dh will read the childrens parsha book and sometimes an adult dvar torah. We like the Halacha column in the yated.

LO

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 11:42 am
Bump...Still struggling with how to make Shabbos table more fun for the kids. I have 8 yr old twin girls and a 3 yr old girl. Right now our meal lasts about 5 minutes, and the kids run away to read.....Please share what you do to make the meals more fun....

seeker

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 8:37 pm
One family I visited a few times - large family with kids of all ages - I noticed the father always began the discussion phase with an open-ended question, usually relevant to the parsha or something, and they went around the table with everyone answering. For example, "Name a korban" or something like that, wish I could remember more. This way no matter what happened after that, everyone was engaged at least once. Including guests. No pressure for your answer to be right or anything, just so long as everyone said something. And then you were more interested in hearing whatever came next, too. There was also a special dessert for anyone who shared something they'd learned (the smallest kids got the dessert for free Wink ) I also noticed that while in my family, where there are only two kids and they are both small, the meal feels like a bit of a flop if they're not engaged. But in this family the smallest kids were barely there and no one even thought twice about it. Didn't seem to affect their long term development if the bigger kids were anything to go by.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics