Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
I just found out I'm pregnant, but my 1 year old is freaking

amother

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 9:00 pm
Out. DC has gotten super clingy and freaked out, wants to nurse for hours and hours on end and won't even go to Abba. I'm super tired and nauseous but I understand that DC is insecure but I am having a hard time. Any suggestions? DC is just 1.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 9:16 pm
um - you do realize that your 1 yr. old has no idea that you just became pregnant, right?

amother

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 9:55 pm
Your one year old can b clingy for plenty of reasons but not because u are pregnant - he's one he doesn't even know what pregnant is my 2 year old hardly understands and he puts dolls under his shirt cuz that's what his big sisters do . But really maybe he has an ear infection or is just in a clingy mood. Feel good

tf

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 9:57 pm
I had this in the past. Yes, it is difficult, but doable. Give bottles, you may need to force, and food so you know for sure dc is not hungry. Hold, but don't nurse. Make believe you don't understand what dc wants from you. If you are too weak to do this, you may need to send dc to babysitter Sad until dc gets used to not having you all the time. I believe it is more difficult for you than for dc to not have you. Sad Sad Sad .

youngishbear

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 10:08 pm
Kids can feel something is off even if they don't know the fact that mom is pregnant.

Milk changes taste, mother can smell different, there's so much going on with mom emotionally that baby gets confused and becomes extra clingy.

You'll both get over it, but I agree with whoever said to feed bottles. It's too exhausting to both nurse and build a new baby.

imasinger

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 10:14 pm
I hav heard of 3 year olds who play house, and act the Mommy by going to the bathroom and making retching noises. All without understandng a thing; that's just what Mommies do.

Yes to all of the above. Bottles, sitters, as much rest as you can. And don't rule out other causes for the clinginess. Could an ear infection be brewing?

seeker

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 10:32 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Kids can feel something is off even if they don't know the fact that mom is pregnant.

Milk changes taste, mother can smell different, there's so much going on with mom emotionally that baby gets confused and becomes extra clingy.

You'll both get over it, but I agree with whoever said to feed bottles. It's too exhausting to both nurse and build a new baby.

I was going to say this and then saw someone else already did. To all the people who are saying the 1-year-old doesn't know. My 14-month-old definitely knew when I became pregnant with my 2nd I think even a couple of days before I did; fortunately for me she took it quite well and simply stopped nursing cold turkey without a backward glance. But I imagine for many babies to find that their special milk is changed must be traumatic. My second was still nursing like a starving newborn piglet at that age and I bet she would have been furiously upset if I changed anything on her.

Good luck, OP. No advice for you except that this, like most parenting hurdles, will be history very soon and you will probably all come out of it OK.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 10:50 pm
seeker wrote:
I was going to say this and then saw someone else already did. To all the people who are saying the 1-year-old doesn't know. My 14-month-old definitely knew when I became pregnant with my 2nd I think even a couple of days before I did; fortunately for me she took it quite well and simply stopped nursing cold turkey without a backward glance. But I imagine for many babies to find that their special milk is changed must be traumatic. My second was still nursing like a starving newborn piglet at that age and I bet she would have been furiously upset if I changed anything on her.

Good luck, OP. No advice for you except that this, like most parenting hurdles, will be history very soon and you will probably all come out of it OK.

Yep, THIS.

A friend of mine always knew when she was pregnant, because the baby she was nursing would suddenly quit cold turkey. Her kids are all spaced around 1 year apart (no bc).

It is possible to nurse through a pregnancy and then tandem nurse two kids, but you have to have a REALLY strong constitution, and take extra good care of your nutrition. It's definitely not for everyone.

bnm

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 11:08 pm
My 3.5 year old is doing that... at least he understands the concept.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 11:21 pm
Thanks. I know DC doesn't literally know I'm pregnant but obviously knows something is up because this isn't usual behavior. It has been 3.5 weeks and no signs of being sick. It started almost a week before I missed my period. I just don't know how to reassure DC.

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 11:24 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks. I know DC doesn't literally know I'm pregnant but obviously knows something is up because this isn't usual behavior. It has been 3.5 weeks and no signs of being sick. It started almost a week before I missed my period. I just don't know how to reassure DC.

I'm not sure you can reassure a 1yo baby. I guess just let him be as clingy as he needs to, while you try to take care of yourself as best you can. Just remember, it won't stay this way forever.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 11:27 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
I'm not sure you can reassure a 1yo baby. I guess just let him be as clingy as he needs to, while you try to take care of yourself as best you can. Just remember, it won't stay this way forever.

Thank you

belovedaz

Post Sat, Jan 10 2015, 11:49 pm
just hugs

causemommysaid

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 12:14 am
I think kids just get clingy and a little crazy at that age. I remember all my kids went through a phase of extreme clingyness and sleep issues etc at around 1 years old. It will pass.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics