Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
I have the most ugly kesuva ever seen. Problem in Israel?
Previous  1  2

omega3

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 12:15 pm
If you get a new one, make sure its dated from the day you married. Otherwise it could pose problems for existing children (if you have any).
MY kesuba had a slight technical error but our rav said its bedi eved so not to change it because we had already been married 3 months so he knew I could be married. Then it would seem to another party that any child conceived in that time was born out of wedlock.

omega3

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 12:16 pm
sorry he knew I could be pregnant*

amother

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 12:22 pm
At my wedding we realized that we'd forgotten the beautiful ketubah that I'd had written by a sofer.

One if the aidim offered to handwrite one. He used to work for the rabbanut and had been on a beit din in israel, so I infer that he saw no problems with a hastily hand written ketubah.

He also knew that I'm a gioret as he was the av of my beit din.

eschaya

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 8:15 pm
We had gotten a beautiful printed kesubah... only to realize during the wedding that there was a mistake in it! So our rav ended up handwriting the real version on the back.
I never thought that it should pose a problem. Handwritten kesubos were around a lot longer than fancy printed versions.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 2:16 am
AFAIK this is an issue for your children (so make aliyah soon enough before they get married so they have time to learn to speak Hebrew well enough Smile ).
You're already married, so unless ch"v you divorce, you don't need to have any dealings with the Rabanut.

I do understand where you're coming from about the look of the ketuba.
As the child of American olim I brought my parents' ketuba when I signed up at the rabbanut and it was clear that they were judging it by looks. It was written up by a sofer in BP and looked very frummy, what with my parent's Yiddish names at all. I don't recall anyone asking about my parents, they could have been gerim for all they knew. And for all the frumminess of the ketuba, well... my parents' wedding was done by a conservative Rabbi.

Perhaps you could ask a rav about having the ketuba rewritten? I've heard of people doing that. I know it's silly, but in my case, the look of my parents ketuba really smoothed things out. And as was mentioned before, there's always the option of marrying through eidah charedit. It's supposed to be easier, bureaucratically speaking.

DrMom

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 2:38 am
iluvjerusalem wrote:
Just think how many baalei tshuva or non-religious people make aliyah, whose parents didn't even think about getting a ketuba at all! It can't all be dependent on that.

It's not an issue for making aliyah (even non-Jews can make aliyah if they have a Jewish grandparent). If anything, it might be an issue for your children if they want to get married in Israel. Basically, you need verification of Jewish status: either a ketubah, or your parents' ketubah (not relevant in your case), or a conversion certificate, or a divorce certificate, etc.

When I got married (maybe the rules changed since then) there were only certain rabbanim whose word they accept, so if the rav under whom you converted or who officiated your wedding isn't on their list, your children will need to get one of these rabbanim to vouch for your rav, etc. if they want to get married here.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions