Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Baking activity

freeze

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 7:57 pm
My 3rd grade class won a baking activity, does any one have an idea I can bake with my class. We do have access to an oven.
Thanks!

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jan 11 2015, 8:32 pm
(1) Kinda obvious, but check for allergies first. I've got students allergic to gluten, chocolate, nuts and dairy; so for a class cooking activity I went with Rice Krispies Treats (marshmallow kind, after consulting with the parents of the students in question) so that no one would feel excluded.

(2) Make sure it's something everyone in the class can participate in. You can only have so many kids pour ingredients or take turns stirring; leave some time for kids to customize their creations so everyone has something to do. Decorating sugar cookies/gingerbread people/frosting cupcakes, etc. You could also bring the pieces of a trifle -- a large plain chocolate cake that can be crumbled, whipped cream, chocolate pudding, chopped fruit, etc. -- and have kids assemble them in tall transparent plastic cups. They'll feel so sophisticated!

(3) Decide if you're going to do the actual BAKING with the kids. I know you said you had access to an oven, but if may just be less messy (of course, kids can make a mess of anything, but at least you're not dealing with raw eggs or bags of flour) and more within your time constraints to bring in unfrosted cupcakes or cookies and simply do a decorating activity.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics