Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Do any of you know someone who can read my palm?
Previous  1  2

Lady Bug

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 7:36 am
For all those making fun, I get the skepticism around mysticism, but Palm reading is a real thing, just like handwriting analysis. No voodoo involved, just plain old skill.

daagahminayin

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 8:04 am
I wasn't making fun, just to clarify.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:01 am
Lady Bug wrote:
For all those making fun, I get the skepticism around mysticism, but Palm reading is a real thing, just like handwriting analysis. No voodoo involved, just plain old skill.

handwriting analysis is also BS

daagahminayin

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:09 am
Quote:

It's a controversial issue, to be sure, and maybe based more on intuition that science. However, as someone who has studied graphology, I can tell you that I've had a lot of success helping people understand themselves.

imasinger

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 8:31 am
I can't read palms, but I can read studies, and I have yet to see a double blind study showing that there is anyrhing at all to palm reading.

If it were real, lots of people would be happy to publish evidence about it. But we have nothing more than anecdotes.

That means that an intuitive person who can pick up on facial and body language and tone may be able to tell more about you than most people. Butit is not dependent on your palm.

Sure, there are anecdotes about people who had this done by someone who guessed (or intuited) right. But there are many more stories about people losing their money to charlatans.

FF has it right. If you want to know more about yourself, the tools are inside YOU. If you want sure knowledge the future, you're out of luck, though lots of people will be glad to tell you something plausible.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 10:16 am
daagahminayin wrote:
Quote:

It's a controversial issue, to be sure, and maybe based more on intuition that science. However, as someone who has studied graphology, I can tell you that I've had a lot of success helping people understand themselves.

OK, here's an experiment. No lab equipment required, just a bunch of volunteers. Two of the volunteers become experimenters. Experimenter A divides the rest of them into three groups randomly. You don't find out which group they're in, and they are sent to you in no particular order. All of them write the same thing by hand. For group one, experimenter A gives the person's own sample. For group two, experimenter A gives you a sample from someone from group three. You analyze people from both group one and group two however you usually do, only you don't show anyone their sample or say things about the sample that might disclose if you have their sample or someone else's. You help the people from group one and group two understand themselves, the group three people never meet you. Now experimenter B (who also doesn't know if you have the right sample or not) evaluates how well you've helped them, say on a scale of zero to ten. Finally experimenter A gets the evaluations, and computes your average for group one and group two.

If their handwriting is what enables you to help them understand themselves, your average for group one would be significantly better than for group two, but if you're really using other sources of information the averages will be similar.

daagahminayin

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 10:46 am
Quote:
OK, here's an experiment. No lab equipment required, just a bunch of volunteers. Two of the volunteers become experimenters. Experimenter A divides the rest of them into three groups randomly. You don't find out which group they're in, and they are sent to you in no particular order. All of them write the same thing by hand. For group one, experimenter A gives the person's own sample. For group two, experimenter A gives you a sample from someone from group three. You analyze people from both group one and group two however you usually do, only you don't show anyone their sample or say things about the sample that might disclose if you have their sample or someone else's. You help the people from group one and group two understand themselves, the group three people never meet you. Now experimenter B (who also doesn't know if you have the right sample or not) evaluates how well you've helped them, say on a scale of zero to ten. Finally experimenter A gets the evaluations, and computes your average for group one and group two.

If their handwriting is what enables you to help them understand themselves, your average for group one would be significantly better than for group two, but if you're really using other sources of information the averages will be similar.

Ok, I can't say I followed that exactly, but it could be due to there being a squirming toddler on my lap right now, and not the way you explained it. Anyway, I'm open to being part of an experiment. A simpler way would be if I analyzed an anonymous sample and gave the person a choice of three reports to choose from, one of them being the right one. Or if they filled out a personality test beforehand and we had a way of measuring the degree of similarity between the personality test and the handwriting report.

I'm aware of the difficulties involved in making a scientific study of handwriting analysis. Some of them being: do we measure accuracy by the way the person sees themselves, or how others do? Not everyone is so self-aware, and they might have perceptions about themselves that are not accurate.

Also, there is the problem of the Forer effect, I.e. people will agree with the reports if they are vague enough to be a one-size-fits-all description.

However, from my hands-on experience, with all that said, I do believe it is possible to understand personality from someone's handwriting. I generally do blind tests, I.e. don't know whose handwriting it is that I'm analyzing, and do feel like I can tell a lot about the person from it. Like I said before, most of it is from an intuitive level, and of course you can't test that scientifically very easily at all.

It's everyone's right to be skeptical, especially since as the poster mentioned above, there is scant scientific evidence available. The scientific part of me is skeptical also. But I also have a very floaty side of me that loves all this stuff...

amother

Post Tue, Jan 27 2015, 11:07 am
I am one of the most self aware people you will ever meet. I have had professionals, teachers, family, friends, doctors, etc tell me this, it is not my own opinion but the opinion of others

one of the most eye opening experiences I had was having my handwriting/drawing analized. He did not tell me anything I didnt know about myself but the 1 hour spent with him was better than any therapy session I have ever had.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 6:22 am
amother wrote:
I am one of the most self aware people you will ever meet. I have had professionals, teachers, family, friends, doctors, etc tell me this, it is not my own opinion but the opinion of others

one of the most eye opening experiences I had was having my handwriting/drawing analized. He did not tell me anything I didnt know about myself but the 1 hour spent with him was better than any therapy session I have ever had.

In the hour you spent with him, is it possible that he had the opportunity to observe more about you than your handwriting?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 11:06 am
imasoftov wrote:
In the hour you spent with him, is it possible that he had the opportunity to observe more about you than your handwriting?

no, cause he told me about myself within 10 minutes of walking in. We talked about other stuff the rest of the hour.

ive never done it again, and he did offer that if I wanted when I wanted to get engaged I could send him a sample of the guys handwriting and he would let me know if I was making a good/bad decision without being charged (truth is I dont think I paid him, I gave a donation to the shul it took place in). I never sent in a sample because I dont want to know what an analyst will tell me about my choice, almost in the same way we try not to "label" children because we may stop their growth/potential.

it was a very interesting experience, if someone wants to do it, and they do it in a kosher manner, why stop them?

I wouldnt live my life by them, like people mentioned the eyin hara lady. I know someone in the family who goes to her almost on a yearly basis. I do not listen to the response and what she has to say about me. I dont believe eyin hara works that way and I dont think our future works that way. We have bechira and WE choose our "destiny" not strangers

(I believe if you cause eyin hara on yourself then it happens, I do not believe people can place eyin hara on you just cause. For example, if I flaunt my money then yes when people talk about me they cause eyin hara. If I use my money properly in a tznius manner and people say stuff like 'they must have a lot of money, she seems to be involved with a lot of organizations', thats just gossip because someone wants to gossip and that doesnt cause eyin hara)

Cookie Monster

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 12:31 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
I can read feet.

Are you sure you wanna do that during the boots season? The smell ya know...

imasoftov

Post Wed, Jan 28 2015, 6:48 pm
amother wrote:
no, cause he told me about myself within 10 minutes of walking in.

it was a very interesting experience, if someone wants to do it, and they do it in a kosher manner, why stop them?

Please substitute "ten minutes" for "hour" in my previous question.

I don't know any poster on this site in real life, and even if I did I don't know how I might possibly "stop them" even if I was inclined to.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics