Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much did it cost you to redo your kitchen?

amother

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 7:35 pm
Obviously you can answer anon, or not at all if you find this offensive. I am seriously looking at purchasing a particular house that has a gross kitxhen. It's a nice size but needs to be redone with new cabinets , flooring, appliances extra. I know there is a big difference between a Home Depot kitchen and high end so numbers will vary greatly but just trying to get an idea of what it would cost. There is room for two sinks, ovens, dishwashers, so that cost will be double. I'm trying to figure out if we will likely be able to do it before we move or once we are in already and have more time to save. Thanks!!!!

mommyofd1

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 8:06 pm
I have a very very small kitchen like 11' by 7' and it cost upward of 20000

Last edited by mommyofd1 on Mon, Jan 12 2015, 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 8:09 pm
About $60k

$17k contractor
25k cabinets
7k appliances
2k tiles and backsplash
2k window
.5 door
1.5k lighting
2.5k countertops

amother

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 8:41 pm
amother wrote:
Obviously you can answer anon, or not at all if you find this offensive. I am seriously looking at purchasing a particular house that has a gross kitxhen. It's a nice size but needs to be redone with new cabinets , flooring, appliances extra. I know there is a big difference between a Home Depot kitchen and high end so numbers will vary greatly but just trying to get an idea of what it would cost. There is room for two sinks, ovens, dishwashers, so that cost will be double. I'm trying to figure out if we will likely be able to do it before we move or once we are in already and have more time to save. Thanks!!!!

It doesn't cost double to have a kosher kitchen. Many go cheaper on the milchag side. My kitchen was $100,000 and most was on the fleish side. You only need one fridge for instance for both sides. I have more counter space and cabinets on the fleish side. I have a larger oven as do most on the fleish side.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 10:47 pm
$10,000 for a small kitchen

New fridge, oven, counter tops, cabinets, tiles

amother

Post Mon, Jan 12 2015, 11:54 pm
My kitchen is about 20x10.

We did a Home Depot kitchen and did all the cabinets for 1200, and the counters were 3500.

We have 2 sinks and 2 dishwashers, prices for those will vary depending on the brand you choose.

Probably with flooring, electrical and plumbing it all came out to 8k. And bh it's a very beautiful kitchen!!

MamaBear

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 2:27 pm
$8k for a kitchen of that size is extremely low. Not sure what the poster put in quality wise or who did the work, but that's very very low.

OneSource

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 3:04 pm
25k.

The context is that we bought a home w/ a bare bones kitchen in place. We ripped out everything there - including the existing floors. Reinforced the subfloor, put down new tiles, closed up a window to make a wall for a fridge/pantry and purchased 12k worth of cabinets, a 1,500 oven (very pretty and useful w/ a shabbos mode, btw) fancy double sink and gorgeous granite counters w/ a very pricey backspalsh (tiles alone cost 1,700 for the backsplash and it is NOT a large space!). Overall, including labor and materials, the total was 25k which we went through a big department store (LOWES) and financed over 8 years at minimal interest. One note - we had the fridge already which we bought right before we bought the house.)

Labor cost included electrical, plumbing and appliance installation etc. Overall, we are thrilled with our new kitchen and the construction team that did it, was amazing.

BrachaBatya

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 3:05 pm
Ours was also about $25K.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 8:38 pm
Not the OP but I am just curious. How does it work with financing? we would love to re-do our small kitchen. Do you take out an additional loan? re finance your original loan? something else?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 9:27 pm
Just over $5k for a very small kitchen (8x8). That includes wood cabinets (not particle board), granite counter, vinyl flooring, paint, stone backsplash with mosaic tiles, large double sink, and stainless appliances (stove/oven, fridge, dishwasher, all GE or maytag).

thanks

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 10:24 pm
you can get a kitchen person to come down and give you a free estimate. They'll do it for you hoping to get your business, which of course you may give them if you buy the house.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 11:25 pm
I just put in a very HIGH end kitchen.
Cabinets 35K
Counters and backsplash 7K
Faucets 2K
Appliances 15k
Lighting 2k
Kitchen Tiles floor 2k

without the preparation work for contractor, I'm close to 70k....

Good Luck!!

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 3:08 pm
Kitchen 12 x 17
around $25k plus $21k for gut job and all the behind the scenes work

ven

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 3:30 pm
15.000 euro's . A similar one from ikea u can get at about 10.000 euro. I don't need endless cabinet space or huge counters. It's gotta be practical !

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 3:56 pm
amother wrote:
Not the OP but I am just curious. How does it work with financing? we would love to re-do our small kitchen. Do you take out an additional loan? re finance your original loan? something else?

The best way to pay for home repairs is with a home equity line of credit. If you have equity in your house you can get one. It allows you to pay the bills as it comes in. The intrest rate is usually pretty decent.

OneSource

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 4:59 pm
I financed through Lowe's and we pay very little interest per month, with 8 years to pay. It's an unsecured line of credit (ie a credit card but w/ less interest). A line of home credit may work if you own the home already but we bought and renovated immediately so the time-restrictions were a factor in our decision.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 7:54 pm
We are in middle of a complete gut and Reno right now to the another who spent 25k on cabinets and only like 2k on counters either u have very little counter space or u bought laminate.

Anyways we did all the gut ourselves ie my dh we also acted as general contractor kitchen is 15x25
Cabinets 7500 for 25 cabinets this included 2 pantry cabinets we got them on a major sale same cabinets not on sale would be at least double
Cabinet installation 2200
Electrical - 475
Plumbing (we are putting a sink and dishwasher in island) 1050
Flooring 800
Countertops 8k
Backsplash undecided
Lighting 900
Appliances again shop around we got a 4900 dollar stove for a quarter of the price from a bump and dent and we just replaced a piece
All together appliance2 dishwashers 2 sinks a double oven a French door fridge a built in dishwasher a pot filler 2 faucets and a 6 burner cooktop
Material costs for plumbing and electrical and lighting 250
So so far we are at 27175 still unsure of cost for backsplash and installation of floor since we are putting same floor through the whole house.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics