Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Chulent and early shabbos

lost33

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 5:39 am
How do you make cholent when shabbos starts so early? every time I make it it burns or overcooks

Smile1234

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 5:52 am
I always put mine up Thursday night so for me early and late shabbos are no different.
How do you cook yours? When do you put it up?

lost33

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 6:04 am
I put it in the crockpot before shabbos and keep it on low but when shabbos starts at 4ish and we dont eat till 12-1 the cholent always tends to overcook or burn

Smile1234

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 6:08 am
more water maybe?

Sanguine

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 6:19 am
A solution to Cholent problems

Eat 2 people for only $12

Happy 2B

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 7:43 am
Sounds like there is something wrong with your crockpot!

I put mine on high Friday morning and turn it to low before shabbos starts. It doesn't matter if it's a short or long Friday I usually put it up around the same time. Around noon sometimes earlier if I have my act together.

water_bear88

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 7:46 am
Sanguine wrote:
A solution to Cholent problems

Eat 2 people for only $12

Well, AFAIK people are technically pareve...

mominwb

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 7:47 am
As per my experience, you gotta make sure there's enough oil and water. It always has a strong flavor cuz of cooking it long but never really burns.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 9:28 am
put it on right before shabbos

perseverance613

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 10:29 am
This is the real solution to your problem:

You need to make sure that you Cholent is FULLY COOKED before shabbos starts, and then leave it on "Keep Warm" until ready to eat.

Note that "Keep Warm" is not the same as "Low." On "Low" the Cholent continues to slowly cook, while on "Keep Warm," the cholent is kept at a high enough temperature for food safety, but not high enough for further cooking. This is the real secret of all great cholents.

Simple1

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 11:56 am
perseverance613 wrote:
This is the real solution to your problem:

You need to make sure that you Cholent is FULLY COOKED before shabbos starts, and then leave it on "Keep Warm" until ready to eat.

Note that "Keep Warm" is not the same as "Low." On "Low" the Cholent continues to slowly cook, while on "Keep Warm," the cholent is kept at a high enough temperature for food safety, but not high enough for further cooking. This is the real secret of all great cholents.

This probably depends on the crock pot, but I had one that the "keep warm" setting was definitely not hot enough to feel safe. OPs crock pot might work though, if the low setting is too hot. But first try adding water and see if that helps.

lost33

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 7:22 am
thanks, I think the low setting on my crock pot is too high but I will try it this shabbos and see what happens
any good recipes?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus