Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Cute shoes for orthotics?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 1:22 pm
My daughter will be getting custom orthotics soon. The shoes she has now wont be good for them. Does anyone have any experience buying girls shoes for orthotics? She already has a few strikes against her, so it is very important that they are cute and fashionable. TIA

edit: The orthotics are just shoe inserts, but the shoe needs to be strong and deep.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 8:14 pm
Dd used to have shoe inserts. Sneakers really work best with them, but if you take them to the store and try stuffing them into different shoes, you will begin to learn what works and what doesn't. It helps to get shoes that are extra wide.

The trick is to get something that closes well- doctors prefer shoes that lace all the way up. Slip ons usually won't work.

You are meant to take out the insole of the shoe before wearing it with orthotics, but you can't remove them until after you buy the shoes. That makes life a bit more difficult.

mummiedearest

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 8:36 pm
my daughter wears them too. I tend to buy her light up sneakers if she's willing to wear sneakers at all. I'm in the habit of ordering 4-5 pairs of shoes from amazon, trying them all on with her at home, and sending back the ones that won't work.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 9:22 pm
Re. taking out insoles, some shoes you can slip them in/out easily even before buying because they're not really attached. I have done this when I want to get a better look at how much room there is in the shoe.

They also may not need to be extra wide; it depends on the foot and the type of orthotic. My kid's orthotics actually seem to be narrower than her shoes, go figure. We got the shoes straight from the orthotist and they are pretty cute but that's for a toddler, don't know if they had anything trendy for a preschooler.

Are you in NY? I think the big shoe stores in Brooklyn probably have enough of a selection that you can find something that works and is fashionable, plus the people who work there tend to know their merchandise really well so they can find the right shoe for you without too much time and guesswork on your part. Worth a trip even if you're not in Brooklyn but not too far. That's of course JMHO but I have wasted plenty of time on Amazon/DIY trial-and-error and still felt insecure about whether I got the right thing, whereas in the Brooklyn stores they do it for you and you can be done in 10 minutes if you're lucky (go at off-peak times.) Worth both a trip and the added cost of fancy shoe brands - though regarding added cost, I think your health insurance might reimburse for the shoes if you need a specific type to accommodate the foot issue/orthotics. I'd ask the podiatrist's office about that because I think they are the ones who would need to submit the request.

solo

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 10:20 am
R u in Brooklyn? Ds needs to fitted and I'm not sure who to go to for orthotics

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 10:41 am
My daughter has orthodics, she also chubby and wide feet and high instep. Had a hard time to find shoes locally (brooklyn) and I didn't wanna get her sneakers. Ended up ordering on zappos the company livie and luva shoe. Free next day shipping and free returns. Really have w it bh.

Sewsew_mom

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 1:48 pm
http://www.goplae.com
Love their shoes. Amazing quality and their adorable. Their made to fit orthotics as well. My 4.5 year old has them and I constantly get compliments on them.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 3:34 pm
Anyone know if go plae would fit a very (VERY) narrow foot?

Sewsew_mom

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 4:12 pm
seeker wrote:
Anyone know if go plae would fit a very (VERY) narrow foot?
I woukd say try it. Free shipping and free return. Also 10% off when u sign up

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 10:47 pm
Free return shipping! Now you're talking my language! I didn't notice that on the website. Will double check but that definitely makes it worth a try.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:33 pm
amother wrote:
My daughter will be getting custom orthotics soon. The shoes she has now wont be good for them. Does anyone have any experience buying girls shoes for orthotics? She already has a few strikes against her, so it is very important that they are cute and fashionable. TIA

edit: The orthotics are just shoe inserts, but the shoe needs to be strong and deep.

Your in some luck ,today laces are in style so thats actually what my daughter wears. She has wide very flat feet and size 39 she is 12 yrs old. I know what you feel like as a mom with those strikes. Sending some hugs

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:39 pm
I don't know how old your daughter is, but my toddler/preschooler have done fine with mary janes, is that better than laces? Maybe the elastic strap like the vennetinis (but a better shoe, I don't think those are especially supportive, but I don't really know) could accommodate her needs without being nerdy?

miami85

Post Tue, Apr 21 2015, 11:40 pm
Don't know how old she is or what style you're looking for, but a PT once told me that Payless Shoes has a brand of shoes--I think smartfit-- that are designed for orthotics and she recommended them to parents. You might want to try those.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 22 2015, 12:58 am
Really? I never thought I saw anything besides garbage in Payless but maybe they've come up with some new lines... certainly could have been an inexpensive option to get us through a few weeks while I was waiting to see if I could get the insurance-covered shoes... meanwhile she had nothing to wear because there was a wait on the insured place and her old shoes were too tight, so I paid up for a regular high-end shoe store to fit her. I was happy with the fit, the price tag was reasonable for the quality of the shoes but that quality may have been overkill if we could get the insurance shoes soon. I just didn't know if that would work out after all.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 10:01 am
Bumping this up pls... dd got orthotics and I need a pair of cute high tops but not too much money I recently got her sneaker but I'm looking for more of a winter color now to match her tights sneakers look really funny anyone seen anything recently on a website or bought a strong high top theat would support orthotics?

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 11:59 am
Ive been very successful with livie and luca shoes for a wide foot w orthodics. Im not sure about hi top though...check out livieandluca.com.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 12:05 pm
primigi makes high tops that are deep and wide. You may want to take her to a frum shoe store for a fitting. I took my daughter to a shoe store for a fitting but didn't love their selection however it gave me an idea of the types of shoes that would accommodate her orthotics and ended up ordering online.

esther11

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 1:33 pm
My preschool daughter has orthotics. We go to Nordstrom, they are extremely accommodating with trying on different brands, pulling out insoles, selling two different size shoes if needed. We usually end up spending about $50 on the shoes, our favorite brands are plae and see kai run.
One time when we went DD didn’t like any of the styles they had in stock, so we just measured/tried on shoes and then ordered a design we liked online after. They were totally fine with it!

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Dec 24 2017, 10:01 pm
Thanks everyone! We actually have primigi so far they are great but look very summery I'll look it up online thanks! And try those other options for our favorite one
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers