Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Passing out kiddush

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 2:52 pm
so I see a lot of people make kiddush drink from the cup & pass the germs around

why is there a mitzva to pass the germs around ... especially when someone's hairy mustache gets into the becher

I see very few people do it the following way: [I can count on 3 fingers] - yet I feel it's the most ideal & respectful way

aside from germophobic reasons - we pour in our own cups whatever wine or grape juice each person decides on & then the kiddush is said and everybody has their cup in place ready to say amen & drink

לחיים Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Drunken Smile

myself

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 3:01 pm
Many people hold that you need to drink from the grapejuice that the brocha is recited on. We fill the cups after DH finished drinking 3/4.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 3:06 pm
When we have guests we use 2 bechers. DH drinks from one then passes it to me then pours the little cups from the second.

sky

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 3:13 pm
DH always pours out before drinking. And then we pass that around.
Same with kos shel bracha after kiddush. (We try to explain the process to our guests and give a clean glass but they don't always get it...)

animeme

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 5:06 pm
There are halachik reasons for not drinking and then passing. It makes the cup pagum for everyone else. Which is less than ideal. DH makes kiddush on the kos, pours out his wine into his wine glass, then pours for everyone else into small cups and passes them in age order.

He says who each is for as he passes because we learned that you're not allowed to pass on the mitzvah, so if a cup comes to you then you drink it unless you've been told it's for someone else.

Barbara

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 5:29 pm
greenfire wrote:
so I see a lot of people make kiddush drink from the cup & pass the germs around

why is there a mitzva to pass the germs around ... especially when someone's hairy mustache gets into the becher

I see very few people do it the following way: [I can count on 3 fingers] - yet I feel it's the most ideal & respectful way

aside from germophobic reasons - we pour in our own cups whatever wine or grape juice each person decides on & then the kiddush is said and everybody has their cup in place ready to say amen & drink

לחיים Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Drunken Smile

Sometimes each person has his or her own cup in advance.

Other times, the person making kiddush pours all of the wine/juice into a larger container, adds more if necessary, then pours some off for each person, including himself.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 5:49 pm
Barbara wrote:
Sometimes each person has his or her own cup in advance.

Other times, the person making kiddush pours all of the wine/juice into a larger container, adds more if necessary, then pours some off for each person, including himself.

this way is also good ... no mess no germs
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions