Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
New job = loose food stamps - wwyd?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 3:40 pm
Were in the position that many are in - we need more income in the house - were just not making it. Not even close. I pay the rent out of a yerusha that I got from my mother, I am in school full time so that I can earn a degree and have more earning potential... DH is working 2 jobs and I have a part time sunday job.

We currently are getting govt insurance and close to $800/month in food stamps. I have a job offer - yay!- it will pay about $15/hour (were still working out the pay offer from the boss, but when he asked what I was looking to make, thats what I told him a the first interview, and seeing as I was called back for a second interview today, I am assuming they will pay me close to that. And its a full time job, so before taxes, were looking at close to $500 a week. Obviously, I would loose the FS.

Also, I'd have to pay for day care for my baby, so the money I'd take home after paying for day care and loosing FS is very low. Is it worth it?

That being said, I HATE having to be dependent on the FS. I have left imamother many times (and come back) over feeling like crud because of the fs attitude. So in that respect, loosing eligibility for FS would maybe help me feel better about myself?

How does one make a cheshbon here?

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 3:41 pm
how are you going to work full time if you are studying full time?

marina

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 3:47 pm
you can get a raise from a job, but not from food stamps.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 3:55 pm
Raisin wrote:
how are you going to work full time if you are studying full time?

Op here - it isnt going to be easy! 3 of the classes are on line and the 4th is at night.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 3:57 pm
ok, this is stupid. Theres no shame in what I'm asking... its me. I'm op.

CPenzias

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 4:02 pm
Good for you for "coming out!"
I would say go with the job because this way you can gain experience, and feel better since you're earning on your own as opposed to being given by the government. I know being in school and working is hard. But did it. I have a 7.5 year gap between my kids because of it but I did ir and I'm working now and although it's difficult. (Having 2 kids and a very full time job) I feel good about the financial contributions that I'm bringing for my family.

Volunteer

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 4:33 pm
I agree with the above poster. Staying on FS (or other forms of public assistance) is a sure way to lock your family into poverty long term. I know that accepting the job you were offered will net you less money per month now. The system is faulty because it discourages proud employment-seekers like you.

Working will set you up for a better future. You could master new skills and advance within this company. You could gain valuable experience to use to get another, better job later on. You could even use what you learn at this new job to start your own business. You will gain confidence, too. That can't be overlooked.

Barbara

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 4:39 pm
watergirl wrote:
ok, this is stupid. Theres no shame in what I'm asking... its me. I'm op.

No, there's no shame in needing help.

Is this job in the field that you want to go into after graduating? If so, even if you don't come out way ahead, consider it an investment in your future. You're getting experience and making contacts in your field.

Congrats on the offer.

The Happy Wife

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 4:43 pm
I think the question is if you have room for growth in this job, and if this just something you are taking until you finish your degree or is related to your degree? Will the extra money make a difference or is it just a few dollars?

sima

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 4:43 pm
I would definitely say go with the job. Like others have said it will give you skills, confidence, and something to put on your resume. I read somewhere that FS will be cut in the near future. So relying on FS is not safe or guaranteed to always put food on the table in the future for your family. But a job will

causemommysaid

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 4:44 pm
I'm going to disagree with other posters. if the net gain is so minimal I would focus on finishing your degree faster and thereby enabling you to get a much better paying job sooner.

Unless this is a job with room for growth and it's in your field of study.

morah

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 5:24 pm
Is this job related to your schooling or is it something to bring in a little cash till you finish? If the former, take it. Presumably, you will get a raise when you finish your degree, or at least have better options open plus the experience. If the latter, skip it and try to finish school faster. You may still end up with a similar dilemma when you first finish school, but assuming there is a genuine career path here, it is almost always Better to take the crummy entry level job even though you lose out in the short term because you will come out ahead in the long term.

mirror

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 5:28 pm
sima wrote:
I would definitely say go with the job. Like others have said it will give you skills, confidence, and something to put on your resume. I read somewhere that FS will be cut in the near future. So relying on FS is not safe or guaranteed to always put food on the table in the future for your family. But a job will

I have a friend on Section 8 and she told me that they just reduced the monthly allotments for Section 8.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 8:24 pm
You need to make a list of pros and
Cons. Getting a job will make you feel better but you have to decide if this job is worth it. If it will be a long term job where you can grow and actually bring money home then it's something to think about. If not if May not be worth it. U should really make a list and then decide.

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 8:24 pm
Thank you for the replies. To answer a point that a few have mentioned, this job is no where near my field. Not even related a tiny bit. Its honestly just to get us a bit further through while I finish school.

Until this point, DH has always had a full time job, now he has a part time job and while hes been searching for something better, it hasn't come yet. The "plan" was that I would take this year and next year and finish school and work a sunday job and pay rent from my yerusha but since DH is making so much less, it just isn't working.

Another suggestion that a few of you have made was to try to finish school faster... I'm taking 12 credits each semester, that's a full load for college, and they type of student that I am, I can not handle any more than that. Its a real miracle that I managed to finish my first semester in 12 years with 2 c's, an a and I think a b.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 9:41 pm
You need to add up all the factors to decide what will work for you.
I disagree that staying on FS will "lock you into poverty" because you have an escape route planned - you are already on your way to a degree that will open the next door. Definitely staying on indefinitely is a bad idea, but I don't think there's anything wrong with deciding to live off government benefits for a year or two so you can work more intensively towards a better job. If you can't handle more than 12 credits per semester before you took this job, do you think you could handle 12 credits with the job as well? You mention a baby too, so you're talking job, school, and motherhood. Maybe you can pull it off, I'm not saying you shouldn't, just pointing out what to consider and being a voice on the other side saying it is a legitimate choice (even if it doesn't end up being the one you make)

I would do this:
1. Add up the costs of the job (childcare, transportation, wardrobe, whatever - more convenience foods? more cleaning help? What will it take to make the job work?)
2. Figure out the income from the job (you mention an hourly rate; is it steady or are the hours going to fluctuate? Are there any paid sick days or anything? What will your take-home be at the end of an average month?)
3. What's the difference - after expenses, how much are you taking home?
4. What is the difference between that and your FS benefits?
5. Take that last number and weigh it against the mental health costs of the job (stress, less time for studies, less time with your child, whatever other pressures it involves.) THAT's where you'll decide if it's worth taking the job. If the peace of mind you'll get from being that much closer to paying your bills outweighs the stresses of adding this workload, then go ahead. If the bottom line is that for sacrificing 40 hours of your week you will end up ahead by only a drop in the bucket and it will totally stress you out, you might want to consider holding out for something better to come your way - or DH's. G-d has many ways.

As for feeling like crud due to imamother judgmentalism, you have to realize that they are making sweeping generalizations that may or may not apply to you. You started school thinking, reasonably, that you had the means to see it through. DH lost work due to unforeseen circumstances. You are better off staying in school so you can soon have an even better job, be even more financially independent, and ultimately contribute more to the economy both in commerce and taxes. You are not a loser. You are not a freeloader. There are people who abuse the programs but if you aren't one of them then don't worry about it and do what makes sense for you. "Wrong" would be playing video games all day in your parents' basement because the government will pay for your food and health care so why work. "Wrong" would be lying about your income so you can get government assistance while pocketing the spare change. Using government programs to help you through a period of underemployment while Dh is actively looking for a job and you are working on your degree is not "wrong," it is a personal judgment call that you need to figure out yourself and nobody ought to bash you for it. I don't think you're required to totally knock yourself out to avoid partaking of programs that were set up for people like you, regardless of how many others abuse them.

Aetrsnrady

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 9:47 pm
Don't take what people post about FS to heart. It exists for a reason. Unfortunately, people take advantage of the system, which rightfully upsets many anothers, but that has nothing to do with you and your situation. At this point it doesn't look like you can afford to go off of FS. If I understood correctly, you are getting $800/mo and the job will give you $500. If the job had something to do with your future profession, maybe, but you are in school, working a part time job and you have a baby at home and other kids who need you. It's too much. I think you should focus on completing your schooling. That in itself is a full time job.

Aetrsnrady

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 9:50 pm
Just read Seeker's post. Couldn't agree more. Well said.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 9:53 pm
She said the job would be 500 per week, not month, if I understood correctly. So that is about $2000 per month which is probably pretty major being that it sounds like they are a young couple who probably shouldn't have too many expenses (I could be wrong about this; but only one baby was mentioned in the OP so if there are others I don't know about them). The job is full time so maybe some health care can be worked into it? It is a big deal, I wouldn't say offhand that she shouldn't take it because it would be too stressful. But it MIGHT be. It's a hard call. OP, could you put college on hold or take fewer credits if you have to? Take a job until DH gets one? If the job is too stressful could you take some student loans to get you through the next year or so - that would not count as income against food stamps, and it may be easier to pay it off than to work full time while in school. Just thinking aloud here, discard any irrelevant suggestions...

watergirl

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 10:41 pm
Seeker - great advice, thank you. Just a few small corrections - we arent a young couple. BH there are many children, just one baby who I am home with who will need child care.

Also, since the first post, I did get a phone call from the boss (one of them) offering me $15/hour, and its from 8-4 or 9-5, my call. I have to ask if lunch is paid or unpaid to get a clear idea of the actual pay. Its on the books, so my take home wont be $15/hour. And its a frum company so fridays are short.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics