Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
New job = loose food stamps - wwyd?
Previous  1  2

lovingmother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 11:08 pm
You write that it's a miracle that you got through one semester with three c's, one a, and one b. This I assume is while not working? If so I vote do not take the job. It may jeopardize your ability to finish school. If you are barely making it now with a large family and no job, how will you make it with your family, job, and 12 credits each semester? You might not finish school which would defeat the purpose. You make it clear that you don't like being on food stamps, but it might be worth it for one more year.

seeker

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 11:15 pm
Boy do I feel validated now. With the prevailing attitudes on some other threads, I was nervous about posting that under my "real" name.

Big hugs, I imagine this must be super stressful with many children to provide for. In that case I imagine $2000 -$800 which wasn't different from food stamps anyway, -$750 is the rock bottom estimate I can imagine for baby care, -$100 transportation guesstimate based on NYC metro cards, you're ending up with about $400 maximum to take home each month (let's assume maximum tax deductions/exemptions due to your large family and low income) which I'm thinking probably doesn't take you very far at all. It's true that every bit counts and a little may be better than nothing, but I can't imagine taking on a full-time job on top of school and raising a family for $400 a month. Maybe DH can find something to do that could net $400 a month without turning your whole life upside down. Or maybe you can find something else to do that would be less of a hassle, like babysit someone else's baby while you're taking care of your own, so you don't need to pay for childcare at that time. Someone I know quit being a secretary for probably around $15/hour and started watching babies in her home, she is known as a wonderful motherly person with a nice clean home, she right away had 3 people interested each paying $10 an hour. I needed a favor when I had a couple of weeks' gap in my childcare and she made an extra $400 right there without doing much extra (well I guess that was lucky because I sent her an agreeable child who basically only acts up for her parents Wink ) I wouldn't really enjoy babysitting all morning but I could work on a couple of freelance writing pieces for $400 if I were so inclined. I don't know which type of job is more your style, all I'm saying is things can happen. What can your DH do, besides whatever he is currently looking for? Is he the tutoring type? Does he have a skill he can teach people? Something he can write? Can he make sales?

amother

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 5:28 am
There's so much great advice on this thread. Just wanted to add that you should consider what it will be like for your baby (depending on age and charachter) if you started working. It's not easy to start working part time with kids at how, esp baby!

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 5:39 am
Around 25 years ago we were in your predicament .
Actually both of us working full time gave us less money each month.
But we didn't relish the idea of locking ourselves into a cycle of poverty.
Within a few years we were way ahead.
I know others who didn't make such a choice & are still living in poverty, tzeddoka & no way to pay tuition or marry off their kids.
It won't be easy. Spend any extra money you make on home help. So you can continue studying & not stressed out.
Look at the bigger picture. It will be worth it.

PAMOM

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 6:41 am
I'm always depressed by the number of people who think food stamps are a permanent solution, but that's NOT your situation, as many have noted. You have a plan in place. You need to have time and energy for your academic work. Doing well there may help you more than getting off FS now since the job isn't related to your field. Food stamps are a great program and ideal for someone in a transitional state like you are. Tell the potential employer that you've looked at your coursework for the next year and don't think you could currently give the job the attention it deserves. Then work on the academics. If you need help with any courses, try asking a friend in the field or the college student child of a friend.
Congratulations on your determination and good luck. And is there anything your husband could do to help bring in a little more money? Any part time work ? Watch the baby so you can concentrate on your work?

Raisin

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 7:05 am
I'm sure there are a lot of things you can do to make $400 a month. That sounds a ridiculously small amount to come home with. Plus I don't see how you can juggle school and work and family...if it was for a large paycheck maybe its worth it.

I wouldn't take the job.

watergirl

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 7:37 am
Actually, DH is home until 1 every day, so I only need babysitting from 1-4ish. I found a playgroup for $5/hour and I'm not in NYC (not even in NY) and the office is less than a mile away. So DH and I did some fast mathast might and Minus the $800 wed loose in FS, I'd still be bringing home some money.

I decided to take the job. I think the self worth Ill feel will be great enough to componsate for being out of the house. And besides, I have no problem getting a c. At the end of the day, just having the bachelors degree will open doors.

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 7:41 am
watergirl wrote:
Actually, DH is home until 1 every day, so I only need babysitting from 1-4ish. I found a playgroup for $5/hour and I'm not in NYC (not even in NY) and the office is less than a mile away. So DH and I did some fast mathast might and Minus the $800 wed loose in FS, I'd still be bringing home some money.

I decided to take the job. I think the self worth Ill feel will be great enough to componsate for being out of the house. And besides, I have no problem getting a c. At the end of the day, just having the bachelors degree will open doors.

Good for you! Good luck.

SRS

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 8:48 am
Just this morning I read an article about food stamp cuts and work requirements. If that is true, you probably should jump in the front of the job line so you don't have to compete with everyone else who might have to jump in the same line. I imagine that you have many needs coming up with your other older children and that as your other children become adults you allotment will fall, but not necessarily your need. I often wonder what the long term plan is when it comes to these things. I think going to work will set a good example for your older children, but isn't necessarily the ideal for your youngest. But $15 an hour is a respectable starting wage and that first job is in many ways the most important job you will have.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 9:21 am
Good luck with your job!

When you graduate, it's generally easier to find a new job while having a job than to graduate and have to look for work. I think it sounds like a good plan.

Also, about food stamps - there is no shame in needing some help. There is only shame in planning your life around social services. That's a huge difference.

rj123

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 9:29 am
Congrats on the job and good luck! I think you made the right decision.

kollel wife

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 10:08 am
Please speak to an accountant too.

Child care and transportation costs can be paid by the employer directly. Find out exactly how much etc.

Food Stamps may or may not count these "payments" our your behalf as income you have to find out.
Unless someone here knows??

SRS

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 10:50 am
Transportation benefit is only for vanpools and public transport, not your daily commute by car. The employer pays for a certain amount of that and gives you the subway tickets. I think it is $130 a month. The dependent care FSA isn't offered by all employees. It was just discussed here a few days ago. It is pre-tax, but could convert to income on your tax return if you don't use it. The transportation benefit is unreported. The FSA is certainly reported on official documents. Can't speak for the food stamp office specifics.

shanie5

Post Wed, Jan 14 2015, 6:47 pm
re you sure you will lose the fs totally? Maybe they will just reduce the amount you get. Also, there are programs that help pay for babysitting/childcare. Info could be found at the welfare office. Why not see if you qualify for that while working.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics