Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Which chesed projects can my kids be involved in-jerus area?

aliyahwoman

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 4:14 pm
I live in a community outside of Jerusalem where most of the other residents range in age from early 20's newly married with newborns, through 50's with adult children. Most of the families manage to take care of themselves financially and otherwise (which is a great thing!). There are opportunities to do chesed when there are births or medical situations or unexpected circumstances, and that definitely happens here.

Lately I've been noticing that with the lack of elderly residents, or people who are really needy, my kids don't have exposure to the range of life situations that really represent what goes on in this world.

I'd like to find some chesed projects that would be appropriate for some or all of my kids aged 5-14, so they can give of themselves and see how they can impact on others, and learn how important it is to look outside themselves and see what others need. I hope it will be a very powerful lesson and I'd like to have an ongoing project that we can be involved in for a long time.

I was thinking of nursing homes to visit, packing food boxes, soup kitchens to help serve meals, hospital volunteering. I know there are lots of organizations out there but I don't know which will be best for my kids. I'd love to hear specific suggestions.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children