Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
STARS in Lakewood

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 9:38 pm
I am trying to find information about the STARS program for my child. What is the school like? How are the teachers? How well do the staff work with you to help your child get to goals? Do they give enough therapy, or tend to cut back a lot? I will go down to see it, but I want additional info.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 9:54 pm
Hi

There are some truly wonderful staff members there. Go see it and keep asking people's opinions.

A few things to consider :even if you decide to go there,they are somewhat selective about who they accept. I am not sure exactly what it's based on.

Also,since it's Non-Public,you forfeit your rights to an IEP. This means if your child is mandated to receive Speech therapy three times per week in his IEP,they don't need to honor it .They decide what's the most appropriate mandate for your child . Or,if they have limited availability of PT slots,your child may not get any if he is not the neediest one.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 10:01 pm
In order to get in to stars the child has to qualify through the board of ed.

Basically there has to be something wrong or some sort of issue with your child. It could be a social issue, educational, physical etc.

While the child is in a regular pre school setting the children are taken out throughout the day for speech, occupational therapy and physical therapy (depending on what is needed).

There are only up to 12 children in a classroom with 3 teachers at all times. The children get very good care and all their needs are met.

It is very hard to get in. First, the board of ed has to approve and then stars has to have the space.

If your child needs a school like that then go for it and fight for your child (if you have to).

My child went and thrived there for 2 wonderful years so I highly recommend this program.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 10:02 pm
amother wrote:
Hi

There are some truly wonderful staff members there. Go see it and keep asking people's opinions.

A few things to consider :even if you decide to go there,they are somewhat selective about who they accept. I am not sure exactly what it's based on.

Also,since it's Non-Public,you forfeit your rights to an IEP. This means if your child is mandated to receive Speech therapy three times per week in his IEP,they don't need to honor it .They decide what's the most appropriate mandate for your child . Or,if they have limited availability of PT slots,your child may not get any if he is not the neediest one.

my child got a lot of therapy while in stars. speech, ot, pt -- all a few times a week. I can't imagine getting more than that.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 13 2015, 10:17 pm
Its a nice place, but unfortunately a shadow of its former self. Since Mrs Lazar a"h l stopped running it , its been downhill..
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics