Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Mornings are hectic!

shemeshl

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 12:22 am
My adhd children are so difficult particularily in the morning...getting them up, feeding them enough that they won't be hungry all day from the ritalin..convincing them not to play games before they are ready for school. and of course repeating myself 10 times everytime I want to get any messagea cross. It's like a whirlwind in the house...any tips?

abby1776

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 2:35 am
I have the same problem. My DH says I need to get up earlier and get them up earlier so there is more time. So if you usually wake them at 7, wake them at 6:30. Have a set routine, wake, negel, tooth brushing, breakfast, dress, out the door.

shemeshl

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 2:43 am
do you also make a really big breakfast for them? My 10 year old cant eat until 7 pm if he takes ritalin at 7am. and if I make hima big breakfast the rest want too...I feel like its a restaurant!

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 2:53 am
Mornings are a special challenge for me.
My special needs daughter is in a regular class but she spends most of her school day out of the class, with her shadow. Lately I have been having a very hard time getting her out on time. Luckily, we live within walking distance so it's not like she has to be out of the house and waiting for her bus or something. I used to be very pressured about getting her to school before the bell at 8:00 and now I'm being more relaxed about it. We have some sleep issues with her so she doesn't always get to sleep on time and often she's in a very deep sleep at 7:00 am so it's hard to wake her up. I want her to eat something "good" before she goes because she takes 5 mg of Ritalin before she goes out (not that it really affects her appetite that much). My cheder boy only has to be in cheder by 8:30 so that's also an impediment to getting her out on time. I decided to not make myself crazy. I do my best. Then I have to walk her to school and she insists that I walk her all the way to her classroom and see her in. This could also drive me crazy (she's 11) but I keep reminding myself that this neshama is gift from Hashem to ME and my tafkid is to do all these things and dance around her as much as necessary (but not too much) etc. I work on myself to do it all with love. It's not always easy.
She comes home at 1:00 and drives me crazy finding her a classmate to play with. She hates to be alone and bores easily. She can't read yet. My days are a challenge....

Hatzlacha to you and me and everyone else who has special challenges due to Hashem's special plans for us!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)