Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Chili Made on Blech?

Dina_B613

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 3:16 pm
I'm freaking out... (I know I need to breathe).. I'm making Chili for Shabbos (no meat) and am wondering if I can put it ON the blech for lunch, which b/c of Shabbos coming so early would be from 5 p.m.-12p.m. (19 hrs). I would saute the onions, peppers, and beans beforehand - so those would already be cooked. Has anyone done this? My blech can't be adjusted for temperature.

Sorry if this post sounds needy. Most of my family isn't Jewish, the ones that are aren't frum and don't know from a blech..

Dina_B613

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 6:13 pm
Okay - 64 people have seen this and no one has any thoughts? PLZ HELP!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 6:16 pm
Dina_B613 wrote:
I'm freaking out... (I know I need to breathe).. I'm making Chili for Shabbos (no meat) and am wondering if I can put it ON the blech for lunch, which b/c of Shabbos coming so early would be from 5 p.m.-12p.m. (19 hrs). I would saute the onions, peppers, and beans beforehand - so those would already be cooked. Has anyone done this? My blech can't be adjusted for temperature.

Sorry if this post sounds needy. Most of my family isn't Jewish, the ones that are aren't frum and don't know from a blech..
What sort of blech do you have?
Is it an electric plata or sheet metal over an open flame?

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 7:26 pm
Is this a halachic question, or a "burning the bottom of the pan" question?

Either way, I'd set up a water blech just to be on the safe side. Take a pan or cookie sheet with about a one inch high (or more) rim. Set it up on the stove, fill with water from a pitcher, and heat the water until steaming. Lower the heat to "low", and put on a lid using another cookie sheet.

Now you've created another keli and you can take anything on and off the blech all Shabbos long, you can stir things, take on and off lids, and all the other things you'd have to worry about with a plata.

If the water starts to run low in your blech, you've got the temp set too high. You can add more water to the lower pan, but it has to be water that was boiled before Shabbos, so transfer it from your hot water pot.

Barbara

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 7:30 pm
Dina_B613 wrote:

It all depends how hot your blech gets, but I wouldn't cook on one, and I'm not sure I'd leave chili on one for 19 hours.

Dina_B613

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 1:24 pm
It's an electric blech, not water.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 2:34 pm
Dina_B613 wrote:
It's an electric blech, not water.
Leave it on the electric blech already cooked. Keep a pot of water near it on the blech and babysit it through shabbos. If you see it is getting dry, add boiling water from the pot so that it doesn't burn.
I don't have more specifics than that as I do not know how hot or warm your specific electric blech gets.
Good Shabbos! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus