Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Calling all administrative assistants

amother

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 9:23 pm
I worked as an office manager (for a bit more money) at my 2 previous positions, but after having a few kids I found it really hard to get a job again (I have a masters and a BA but my Masters is a very difficult, specialized field and there are no jobs) and I ended up taking basically a demotion and working as an administrative assistant.
I find it really demeaning taking orders from the boss daughter ( a 24 yr old), I find that I am literally working harder than anyone else in the office and getting paid the least and I HATE that they put on the bottom of my email "administrative assistant" in my signature because it makes me feel that others look at me and think I'm stupid... I know it is my own personal take on the situation, exacerbated cause I feel bad about myself doing this job, but it really irks me. I feel like the higher up your position, in my office, the less actual work you do (maybe in every office, but I worked for various non-profits before and everyone was working for a common goal).

Also my pay is just so low. I work over 40 hours a week (salary, with a mandatory hour deducted for lunch break, that I never get to take) yet I never actually hit 40 hours, because technically I'd need to work 45 to hit my hours which is just impossible. I make the princely sum of 35k/year. I feel really bad about it all and if I didnt need the money so desperately I just would bother.

Anyone else an admin assistant who feels similarly? Any words of encouragement? Does anyone here work as an admin assistant and make more than 50k a year? Any promotional prospects to loook forward to? Please- talk me off a ledge here.

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 9:30 pm
Dress snappy, know the computer applications well, have a calm friendly phone voice, and get another job.

AA is to some extent a merit field. Those with sand, style, energy, the ability to grasp the point of a situation, know what the priorities are, keep social relationships cordial, make things happen, always have their hand on the needed document quickly, never run out of mission critical documents, give off an impression of never ever blabbing to the girls about anything, are classy, on the problem and discreet, and look polished, can do well.

Sure you can do better.

See what you can do.

The real peril is getting discouraged, getting a shlumpy appearance because of being discouraged and not being able to afford nice clothes because of getting a low salary and then becoming unable to escape.

So don't let any of that happen.

Stay positive, look good, and look around.

If you notch up your appearance, it will be noticed immediately. That may even lead to a raise.

You will need some kind of reference from these people. Do not annoy them.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 9:45 pm
I'm technically a Office Manager but in a very small place, so I'm kind of secretary, gal friday and everything in between, including any tech support, bookkeeping secretarial etc. I do sporadically do work at home, nights or weekends.
I do not get a paid or unpaid lunch, Kind of grab 5 minutes here or there.
I get zero benefits, somehow or other I pay my own SS, and any other taxes that usually get matched by employer.

This year after a raise I will be making 26K. I'm good at my job.

I have a disability of sorts where I don't think I'm worth much and allow my boss to pay me like this. I don't have courage to say that I'm worth more, or find another job.

I work here almost 6 years now.

Am I totally crazy? or bottom of normal spectrum?

Dolly Welsh

Post Thu, Jan 15 2015, 9:55 pm
A person with a disability is worth her weight in gold in some circumstances where the firm needs to fulfill their OEO numbers.

You really should look around.

amother

Post Fri, Jan 16 2015, 9:49 am
I'm the second mother,
I'm not disabled, my 'disability' of sorts is not believing enough in myself to say I need a raise, I'm worth more or the courage to go elsewhere. I'm actually working with a therapist to improve this.

Does anyone know what such a job should pay?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 4:45 pm
amother wrote:
I'm the second mother,
I'm not disabled, my 'disability' of sorts is not believing enough in myself to say I need a raise, I'm worth more or the courage to go elsewhere. I'm actually working with a therapist to improve this.

Does anyone know what such a job should pay?

how r u doing? did your situation improve?

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Sep 12 2016, 11:01 pm
Administrative assistants in public service typically get paid well with benefits. Why not check out the public sector AA jobs and qualifications? See what they want in terms of experience, education, knowledge, ability and skills.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics