Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Summer jobs

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 4:17 pm
How do you manage financially when you don't work during the summer? What kind of jobs are available/have you done during the summer that pay enough to justify hiring a babysitter? Any ideas?

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 5:39 pm
Are you a NYC public school teacher? If so, you could teach summer school and make about $7000.

Optione

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 5:47 pm
We live on our tax return

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 5:52 pm
amother wrote:
Are you a NYC public school teacher? If so, you could teach summer school and make about $7000.

I'm not but I'm licensed to be. Any ideas where I would start inquiring about that? Do they only take teachers that are in the DOE during the year?

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 5:57 pm
I work at a camp. Kids who are old enough for camp get to enjoy camp with their friends and the camp has a "bunk" for babies and toddlers of staff.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 6:14 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not but I'm licensed to be. Any ideas where I would start inquiring about that? Do they only take teachers that are in the DOE during the year?

First of all, I apologize. I think that it's more like $6000, more or less, for the summer. As far as I know, a particular school usually gives preference to the teachers already teaching in that school.
I recommend that you contact the DOE, or even the UFT and ask them. You have nothing to lose.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 7:07 pm
Well do thanks for the tip!

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 7:12 pm
amother wrote:
Well do thanks for the tip!

You're welcome! Salut

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 9:25 pm
Catapult Learning runs a summer school program and you don't need to be a certified teacher to teach but it probably helps your application. I worked for them last summer (hence anon because I don't want to be identified by my job) and found it to be a pleasure. There are I think 2 days of full-day required orientation/PD at the beginning of the summer, and then the school itself was (exact days and hours depend on which school you get placed in) 4 days a week, I think about 4 hours a day - I don't remember exactly but it was something like 90 minutes of reading and 90 minutes of math with a break in middle? For 4 weeks. What I liked about it, besides the light schedule, was that the lessons are entirely scripted and all materials are provided - there's room for some flexibility in how you present it or if you want to supplement it with your own activities, but basically very very little preparation was required. There were also 3 trips, a pretest, and a posttest, so not even that many instructional days to prepare for and actually teach. During the year I hate scripted curricula but for a summer school that you're anyway only really teaching the kids for about 10 days it was great. The pay was by the hour, I forget the exact rate but for the whole month I made over $2000. Not quite as much as public school but the job was sooooo much easier (than what I imagine public school would be, I don't actually know) and it wasn't as competitive to get into. Plus, there are a few frum schools doing the program so you might even get to work in a nice heimish environment if that's what you like. Then you're free (or free to take another job, whatever) the whole August. I loved it.
Details and applications on their website, google it. I don't know if they're starting applications for summer school jobs yet, I applied rather lateish in the year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics