Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What can we do to stop Jewish Polygamy?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 7:31 pm
A minority of Orthodox Jews started practicing this I am scared that this will become a new trend. What can we Jewish women do to stop it?

Source: http://polygamyinisrael.blogspot.com/?m=1

rednavy

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 7:48 pm
Stay out of Utah.

frumjewishgirl

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 7:54 pm
The reason that I feel we should discuss polygamy is because it bothers me that some Jewish people still do it and that they have the Torah to support it. I believe that if polygamy were to become accepted in the Jewish community again then it would make us women miserable and it would ruin our lives and I don't believe Hashem would want that. That's why I believe that we should discuss it and that we should make sure that it doesn't become a trend.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 8:53 pm
You take this seriously? Seriously?
The guy who wrote that spoke of Hashem and allah as if they are one in the same.
Seriously?

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 9:03 pm
I'm not for polygamy, but how would what others do affect you? One of the conditions for a husband to take another wife is that the first wife must consent to it. You don't want you're husband to take another wife don't give him permission.

mille

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 9:10 pm
ra_mom wrote:
You take this seriously? Seriously?
The guy who wrote that spoke of Hashem and allah as if they are one in the same.
Seriously?

That's not a crazy idea. I have personally spoken to one rabbi (yes, orthodox) who had a similar sentiment, although nothing related to polygamy. More related to why Islam is more similar to Judaism than Christianity. This is an entirely different discussion, and this website/polygamy group or whatever might not be legitimate... But saying that they aren't legitimate because they say that Allah and Hashem are one in the same might not be the best argument.

As for how to stop it? Don't consent to it.

vintagebknyc

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 9:13 pm
it's hard to take seriously this poorly written blog, rife with typos and lousy grammar. so I call foul.

zaq

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 9:37 pm
Blfft. Tempest in a teapot. There's a lunatic born every minute. If we were to get scared about every meshugener passing out leaflets on the street corner or every nodcock posting nonsense on the Internet, we'd all be popping tranquilizers like Mike & Ikes. This dude is only one of a vast ocean of loonies, each with a different agenda. Save your energy for real issues.

b from nj

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 10:49 pm
Years ago there was a whole hoopla about religious men taking on concubines & there was a whole article in Marie Claire magazine about a couple from Brooklyn who took in their son's speech therapist to be their husband's pilegesh. There was also a hotline where 'Orthodox' men could get a pilegesh. This was very upsetting to me at the time, b/c I found it to be so disrespectful of women but thankfully this movement seems to have died down.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 10:58 pm
Hey it might just help the Shidduch crisis

b from nj

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 11:02 pm
amother wrote:
Hey it might just help the Shidduch crisis

Hey amother, are you really afather or aboredyeshivabochur?!!

mirror

Post Sat, Jan 17 2015, 11:34 pm
amother wrote:
A minority of Orthodox Jews started practicing this I am scared that this will become a new trend. What can we Jewish women do to stop it?

Source: http://polygamyinisrael.blogspot.com/?m=1

Rolling Laughter

Heyaaa

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 1:09 am
I think it makes sense just NEVER IN MY MARRIAGE. If anyone else wants to do it, go right ahead. I will judge though.

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 2:21 am
amother wrote:
I'm not for polygamy, but how would what others do affect you? One of the conditions for a husband to take another wife is that the first wife must consent to it. You don't want you're husband to take another wife don't give him permission.

THIS. I'm curious as to why you are so scared of it. Is this something your DH is seriously considering? If so, you might want to start shopping for a good divorce lawyer.

If not, then why are you upset? If other people are happy in their arrangement, I don't see how this affects anyone else at all.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 2:57 am
It bothers me because if other people start doing this and if it starts becoming an accepted thing then chas ve shalom men will start viewing it as normal and they will start wanting to marry more wives too.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 5:42 am
I looked up the group and the rabbi's name from the article and the last thing written about then or him was in 2011. Lets jsut hope it all died down as nothing.

frumjewishgirl

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 5:47 am
I don't think it died down I am very worried. Women should speak against it.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 5:51 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
THIS. I'm curious as to why you are so scared of it. Is this something your DH is seriously considering? If so, you might want to start shopping for a good divorce lawyer.

If not, then why are you upset? If other people are happy in their arrangement, I don't see how this affects anyone else at all.

It's like when people started asking for pictures. First it was seen as untznius and objectifying and the guys who asked were seen as guys who had issues. Now girls who refuse to give are seen as 'not serious enough about wanting to get married'.

When something starts happening that men like, it will soon after be asked by all the shadchanim and girls who aren't interested will be seen as inflexible and needy.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 5:54 am
frumjewishgirl wrote:
I don't think it died down I am very worried. Women should speak against it.
What???? Where are you seeing big groups of Jewish Frum men taking more than one wife? Im not. Sorry.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 7:33 am
Seriously , some of these posts are cracking me up. I have more important things to worry about. Like, what should I wear today?
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics