Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Netflix shows ??
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 1:40 pm
Any good romantic shows on netflix?
Ive liked so far:
Reign
hart of dixie
reckless
switched at birth

Im not into vampire diaries, once upon a time, r bachelors, revenge, dirtly little liars etc... I like to watch family dramas that have a nice romantic storyline...it also helps a lot if the Tv show takes place in a southern town Smile

Tia

chatouli

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 1:51 pm
Friday Night Lights should meet all your criteria and it's a great show!

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 2:03 pm
Give Once upon a Time a try again. It starts off a bit odd, but the storyline is really excellent. DD and I have been enjoying it immensely, and we're devastated that the next season isn't uploaded yet! I'm constantly surprised at the plot twists and dialogue, it's really very clever.

If you like Reign, you need to see The Tudors (lots of zex and some swears, but over all a very good story). The consuming is much more historically accurate, as is the story line. (I'm a stickler for accuracy - *nerd*) The woman who plays Anne Boleyn is the most amazing actress, and Queen Katherine is the very soul of pathos. You love to hate King Henry!

sheifelah

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 2:41 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Give Once upon a Time a try again. It starts off a bit odd, but the storyline is really excellent. DD and I have been enjoying it immensely, and we're devastated that the next season isn't uploaded yet! I'm constantly surprised at the plot twists and dialogue, it's really very clever.

If you like Reign, you need to see The Tudors (lots of zex and some swears, but over all a very good story). The consuming is much more historically accurate, as is the story line. (I'm a stickler for accuracy - *nerd*) The woman who plays Anne Boleyn is the most amazing actress, and Queen Katherine is the very soul of pathos. You love to hate King Henry!

Once upon a time is the best!

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 2:51 pm
sheifelah wrote:
Once upon a time is the best!

I guess I'm not the right demographic for this poll, because I found Once Upon a Time to be a convoluted soap-opera with inconsistent characterization... I love fantasy/sci-fi, and the world and characters of OUAT interest me, but the love triangles and characters flip-flopping from good to evil to brainwashed... not my cuppa.

I wish I had something to recommend, but it doesn't sound like my tastes (Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Agents of SHIELD, Buffy/Angel, etc.) would coincide with the OP's. Very Happy

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 2:55 pm
Tnx for the replies
tudors had a bit too much zeks for my taste...reign was romantic but not too dirty.

I did flip thru once upon a time on youtube to get a feel for it. It had an interesting storyline, but im just not into vampire/witchcraft shows. Also, season 4 isnt on netflix.

Im looking for a complete show - an older show that doesnt necessarily come up on my netflix feed

groovy1224

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 3:03 pm
Sounds like parenthood is right up your ally. Great family drama type show, but not obnoxious like some shows can be. Great characters, really funny, sweet..try it out

eta: forgot though that the last season isn't available yet though. I think maybe the last season is currently on? Not positive though

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 3:07 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
I guess I'm not the right demographic for this poll, because I found Once Upon a Time to be a convoluted soap-opera with inconsistent characterization... I love fantasy/sci-fi, and the world and characters of OUAT interest me, but the love triangles and characters flip-flopping from good to evil to brainwashed... not my cuppa.

I wish I had something to recommend, but it doesn't sound like my tastes (Battlestar Galactica, Farscape, Agents of SHIELD, Buffy/Angel, etc.) would coincide with the OP's. Very Happy

See, I liked OUAT because of the character ambiguity. DD and I talked about how people can be deeply complicated and conflicted in their feelings. There were a lot of themes about free will, temptation, flawed characters, teshuvah, and redemption.

Have you seen Babylon 5? If you like science fiction, this is the BEST (IMHO) show ever made. You have to pay to get it, but it's worth every penny. Lots of very Jewish themes and values woven throughout the story, in a very subtle way. One of the main characters is a non observant Russian Jew, and she struggles with her lack of faith.

mom2be1

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 3:32 pm
I'm enjoying Parenthood now. It's a funny family kinda show with some romance thrown in but nothing too dirty. I like that its a tv series so each episode is 40 min.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 3:49 pm
amother wrote:
Tnx for the replies
tudors had a bit too much zeks for my taste...reign was romantic but not too dirty.

I did flip thru once upon a time on youtube to get a feel for it. It had an interesting storyline, but im just not into vampire/witchcraft shows. Also, season 4 isnt on netflix.

Im looking for a complete show - an older show that doesnt necessarily come up on my netflix feed

I don't know if this is your type exactly, but my favorite show on netflix (and of all time) is Burn NOtice. It's a drama/action. But it's also very funny, and there's plenty of romance. The pilots not that great though, so watch the first few episodes before making up ur mind

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 3:53 pm
parenthood

nashville

bcimhappy

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 4:51 pm
Drop dead diva!! Romantic cute show about a ditzy girl who dies and comes back in thw form of a very smart lawyer... its very entertaining and has good plots and made me laugh. Its light but also has good depth
Nashville is great too

bigsis144

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 5:55 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
See, I liked OUAT because of the character ambiguity. DD and I talked about how people can be deeply complicated and conflicted in their feelings. There were a lot of themes about free will, temptation, flawed characters, teshuvah, and redemption.

Have you seen Babylon 5? If you like science fiction, this is the BEST (IMHO) show ever made. You have to pay to get it, but it's worth every penny. Lots of very Jewish themes and values woven throughout the story, in a very subtle way. One of the main characters is a non observant Russian Jew, and she struggles with her lack of faith.

Thanks for the Babylon 5 recommendation. I've heard lots of good things about it and have seen clips on youtube, but I really should watch the whole series.

To continue the digression, I am totally down for characters with shifting or grey codes of morality (or even blue and orange morality when it comes to particularly alien minds or cultures), but OUAT just didn't float my boat.

And I think it's awesome that you talk about the media with your daughter. Any show that gets people thinking and talking and analyzing makes me happy. Nerds rock, no matter what you nerd out about. PEACE! Thumbs Up

Sparkle

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 7:07 pm
Another vote for Parenthood. One of the best tv shows ever - IMO.

Other ones I have enjoyed over the years that are on Netflix:
Gilmore Girls
Last Tango in Halifax
Friday Night Lights
Broadchurch (more intense. It's a mystery, but there's a lot of drama and characterization in it as well. Fantastic show).

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 7:10 pm
mom2be1 wrote:
I'm enjoying Parenthood now. It's a funny family kinda show with some romance thrown in but nothing too dirty. I like that its a tv series so each episode is 40 min.

I tried parenhood a while ago. While it has a great storyline, the characters are SUPER annoying. If they would only act normal I would love the show. They all have this fast pace attitude that drove me insane. I watched 3 episodes till I gave up...

Nashville doesnt seem to be on netflix.

Any other ideas for sweet romance?

Sparkle

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 7:23 pm
It takes Parenthood the first season to really find it's groove. I agree that the characters are annoying in the beginning, but it comes together after a while.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 18 2015, 7:40 pm
I really like Parenthood too!

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 12:22 am
bigsis144 wrote:
Thanks for the Babylon 5 recommendation. I've heard lots of good things about it and have seen clips on youtube, but I really should watch the whole series.

To continue the digression, I am totally down for characters with shifting or grey codes of morality (or even blue and orange morality when it comes to particularly alien minds or cultures), but OUAT just didn't float my boat.

And I think it's awesome that you talk about the media with your daughter. Any show that gets people thinking and talking and analyzing makes me happy. Nerds rock, no matter what you nerd out about. PEACE! Thumbs Up

When I made the decision to allow DD to watch videos, I made the commitment to watch all of them with her. We pause things often to discuss what we just saw. She's a very visual learner. She tends to tune you out if she feels lectured to, but if you can "sneak" the lessons in she'll soak them up like a sponge.

We watch tween shows like H20 and Wolf Blood, and talk about mean girls, cliques, and the importance of good middos. I can't wait until she's mature enough to understand some of the more complicated concepts in Babylon 5, which is basically an epic saga of Good vs. Evil, and personal search for identity and belonging.

When she brings home books from the school library, I also read them and we discuss them together. Hey, free books for me! Study Nerd NERD PRIDE!

(BTW, I wait until she's asleep to watch The Tudors. Most definitely rated R-17!)

oliveoil

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 5:03 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
When I made the decision to allow DD to watch videos, I made the commitment to watch all of them with her. We pause things often to discuss what we just saw. She's a very visual learner. She tends to tune you out if she feels lectured to, but if you can "sneak" the lessons in she'll soak them up like a sponge.

We watch tween shows like H20 and Wolf Blood, and talk about mean girls, cliques, and the importance of good middos. I can't wait until she's mature enough to understand some of the more complicated concepts in Babylon 5, which is basically an epic saga of Good vs. Evil, and personal search for identity and belonging.

When she brings home books from the school library, I also read them and we discuss them together. Hey, free books for me! Study Nerd NERD PRIDE!

(BTW, I wait until she's asleep to watch The Tudors. Most definitely rated R-17!)

You might enjoy watching Dance Academy together.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 5:27 pm
I love White Collar. Its got me hooked.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics