Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Hosting a non-jewish couple for lunch
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:25 am
My husband and I will be hosting a lunch today for a non-jewish couple my husband does business with. Since we recently built a new private house he keeps telling my husband that he and his wife would like to see the house. So we would need to show him around. I think the 2 beds in our master suite will be shocking to them. What should we say to them if they comment?

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:33 am
no need to show the master bedroom ...

don't show him the tampon drawer either - just sayin'

some things are meant to be private

PAMOM

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:51 am
If they want to see the house to get ideas and you're comfortable showing them around , go ahead . I can't imagine anyone civilized commenting on your beds !

monseychick

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:56 am
[removed]

sky

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:03 am
I'm not sure you have to show the bathroom area at all. I would think the public areas of the house would be sufficient.

[No reason to call someone a troll, I can imagine many people being uncomfortable in this situation]

doublemama

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:08 am
If you want to show them the master suite just push the beds together or just skip that area. I have been on many house tours where they skipped the bedroom and nobody batted an eye.

singleagain

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:09 am
I agree that you can give a tour without opening every bedroom door, but you do or they do, you can simply say, that you like your space, and it was cheaper to get two smaller beds than one larger one

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:12 am
PAMOM wrote:
If they want to see the house to get ideas and you're comfortable showing them around , go ahead . I can't imagine anyone civilized commenting on your beds !

but they'll certainly wonder ... unless they grew up in the days of black & white tv & 'I love lucy'

amother

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:41 am
monseychick wrote:
????? Are you planning on showing them a video of being intimate with your DH too ??

Either this is a troll, or you really need to grow up if you want to be successful withese ppl and business in general...

Excuse me??? I reported your post.

Just for the record we've been dealing with these people for many years already and bh have been very successful and it is because of them that we were able to afford to build our private home but that's not the point here. Whet does showing my bedroom come into the pic of us being successful or not???? And do you really compare this with showing them a video of me being intimate. You rather qualify to be a troll.

And to the rest of the posters here. I don't remember asking wether I should show my bedroom or not. That's for dh and I to decide. My question was something else. This is not the first time I realize here on I'mamother that posters ask advice and some find it very important to bash the op for even thinking about something like that and not even answering on their original question.

mille

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:46 am
If they actually do question it (they might not even notice or mention it), say that you each prefer such different firmness in mattresses that it made more sense to buy two twins instead of a king. Unless your beds are so separate that you have, say, a night table in between? I just assumed that they'd be together, and you can push them together before you make the bed if you are niddah when they come. But I don't even know that they will even notice.

mirror

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:46 am
amother wrote:
This is not the first time I realize here on I'mamother that posters ask advice and some find it very important to bash the op for even thinking about something like that and not even answering on their original question.

Welcome to Imamother.

No matter what forum you post in or what the topic is, someone will always

a. Call you a troll, and

b. Bash you, and

c. Give a response that is completely off base.

Any other questions?

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 12:13 pm
amother wrote:
I think the 2 beds in our master suite will be shocking to them. What should we say to them if they comment?

If you're game, you can educate. How about this: Jewish law encourages growth in marriage as well as personal growth by mandating times to be together as well as times for personal space, times for physical closeness as well as times for encouraging closeness without physicality.

sequoia

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 12:18 pm
Just say, "It's a Jewish thing." They can google the rest if they're interested.

bluebird

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 12:20 pm
"That's how we like it."

No need to explain further.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 1:02 pm
Don't show your room. I don't, even to family, unless I have a reason.

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 1:14 pm
Rubber Ducky wrote:
If you're game, you can educate. How about this: Jewish law encourages growth in marriage as well as personal growth by mandating times to be together as well as times for personal space, times for physical closeness as well as times for encouraging closeness without physicality.

WAY TMI

Barbara

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 1:33 pm
amother wrote:
My husband and I will be hosting a lunch today for a non-jewish couple my husband does business with. Since we recently built a new private house he keeps telling my husband that he and his wife would like to see the house. So we would need to show him around. I think the 2 beds in our master suite will be shocking to them. What should we say to them if they comment?

People -- Jewish and non-Jewish -- rarely show the master bedroom when showing guests around their house.

If you choose to show your guests your room, and in the unlikely event that they ask about the beds, just give a vague response of "Jewish law." Surely they're already aware of the oddities that kashrut and holidays pose, so they won't be surprised to know there are other strictures.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 2:00 pm
amother wrote:

And to the rest of the posters here. I don't remember asking wether I should show my bedroom or not. That's for dh and I to decide. My question was something else. This is not the first time I realize here on I'mamother that posters ask advice and some find it very important to bash the op for even thinking about something like that and not even answering on their original question.

Is this house that they want to see the one you live in or a guest house? If it's a guest house then you probably will show them every room. I'd say that not always will the master bedroom be used by a married couple. Sometimes you have a group of high school girls stay by you... Or whoever.

amother

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 2:03 pm
andrea levy wrote:
WAY TMI

Exactly.... You aren't looking to convert them shock

iluvy

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 2:08 pm
Stay FAR away from "Jewish law."

I agree with the poster above. "This is how we like it."

I highly doubt they will comment.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics