Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Overly paranoid??

amother

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 8:18 am
So, my husband had a sister that passed away very young. iyh, if this baby is a girl, we want to name it after her. but of course, we would add a name. So in terms of the name that we will add, I love love the name Shalhevet. But then I got to thinking and remembered Shalhevet Pass, and that she also passed away young and even though we aren't naming after her persay, probably shouldn't use it. So we decided on Yakira. Now, a couple of months later, I'm remembering a little girl that passed away a couple of years ago whose middle name was Yakira, and wondering if I should skip this name too, even though I love it, if it's a bad idea that I have it in my mind associated with the other girl who passed away or if I am being overly paranoid...

Scrabble123

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 8:23 am
I think that almost every name will have an association that makes you feel uncomfortable. The best advice I am able to give you to is to discuss it with a Daas Torah/Rebbe/Other individual whose opinion you respect and get their blessing to give the name. May your sweet baby IYH have a long, happy, healthy life til 120 (as should all of Klal Yisroel)!!!

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 8:46 am
you could be overly paranoid & the kid could end up with 6 names ...

just focus on the sister's name & a good match that will enlighten that name for you - try to forget about the rest of the world

b'shaa tova on your baby - don't forget names are like nevuah - they come to you at the right time

amother

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 8:58 am
We names our daughter one name after two grandmothers, one who passed away young and everyone added a name, and the other from a different branch of the family who lived to ripe old age.

I was reluctant to add a name, and I said let's just have in mind the grandmother who lived till 92... and the rav agreed with me.

Bshaa tova, and think positive.

Tracht gut vet zein gut Smile

sweetpotato

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:28 am
Unless you invent a brand name name, every name will have belonged to someone who passed away at some point. What matters is who/what you have in mind.

agreer

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 12:46 pm
there's a concept that once you combine names, it's a new name.

So lets say your DH's sister was Leah.

Leah Yakira is not the same name as Leah or as Yakira. It's a totally new name.

So yeah, you are overly paranoid Very Happy Just choose names you like and it will IYH be very good! may you see nachas from your child ad meah v'esrim shana!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names