Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Legislating body image (copy paste from Matzav article)

southernbubby

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:27 am
" On Jan. 1 in Israel, a law went into effect that aims to prevent fashion models from losing weight to the detriment of their health and the wellbeing of others inclined to follow in their footsteps. The law stipulates that fashion/commercial models should have a body-mass index of at least 18.5 and that computer-generated changes to make models appear thinner need to be noted along with the images." (quote from article)

This was part of an article about anorexia and other eating disorders in the frum community. Elsewhere in the article it states that shadchanim ask women for their waist measurements. I never heard that one before but hey, anything is possible.

I do see ads with larger models in some secular magazines but in those ads in frum community weekly or seasonal ad booklets, the models are usually very thin.

There again, there is no leadership demanding change in this direction as far as asking for waist measurements and putting super thin models in ads.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:49 am
B"h time for some sense.

Whatever you might think of using legislation to control society's behavior, in this case I'm all for it.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 4:42 pm
Sorry but BMI is not a reliable indicator of health.
What about those of us, myself included, who are naturally under a 18.5 BMI? I don't diet. I don't really exercise. I eat what I want. The only time I was above that was when I was pregnant. And I am BH very healthy. Just very thin.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 4:46 pm
They have to decide to put the line somewhere. 18,5 is already VERY thin, even naturally.

youngishbear

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 4:54 pm
A - it's the best way to measure healthy weight currently in use

B - holding you up as the paragon of beauty to which all must strive brings terrible repercussions on society. Lucky you that you're there, but for the rest of us, striving for that is unhealthy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics