Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Free at last

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 3:16 pm
Code:

When we let freedom ring, when we let it ring from every tenement and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old spiritual, "Free at last, free at last. Thank God Almighty, we are free at last."
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Code:
How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.
~ Anne Frank

Martin Luther King, Jr. and Anne Frank both born the same year - 1929 - had dreams of peace. Are we really 'free at last'? Will be ever be totally free with all the hatred in this world? Don't we all have a dream of peace? Will we ever see peace?

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 3:45 pm
Truthfully? No. If we could achieve this on our own, for what would we need to believe in Moshiach? Also, let's get real: humankind has not been able to get along with humankind since Cain slew Abel. Why would anyone think that could change without Divine intervention?

sequoia

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 3:47 pm
No. Too many variables.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 4:52 pm
Wow! They were born the same year.
I don't know if we'll find freedom but we can share our humanity.
And honoring Dr. King is a good thing for America - he's honored for lofty reasons and it gets people thinking.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 5:10 pm
As a preteen, quite by accident, I saw Dr. King give his famous speech on the capitol mall with two of my friends. It hard to simply explain how much that speech impacted me and how it influenced my life and life choices. Because of Dr. King and my exposure to his ideas I made a firm commitment to building community where ever I went. Finding and meeting on common ground, and setting differences aside. It was and still is important for me to see that we can have a great influence locally, outside of the the big picture. And perhaps there will be a butterfly effect long after I'm gone.

zaq

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 5:17 pm
MagentaYenta's post pointed out something I ought to have posted (I was concentrating on answering Green's question, as posted, nothing else): Even though humankind will never be able to achieve lasting or even temporary global peace on our own, we still have to make the effort. Lo alecha hamelacha ligmor and all that.

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 5:35 pm
zaq wrote:
Truthfully? No. If we could achieve this on our own, for what would we need to believe in Moshiach? Also, let's get real: humankind has not been able to get along with humankind since Cain slew Abel. Why would anyone think that could change without Divine intervention?

for the first sin from man to man - murder & baseless hatred from one brother to another ... that's precisely why reparation is that important ... how else would moshiach come ?!?!?!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics