Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Ami article "For identification purposes only"

amother

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 9:22 pm
Did anyone get it? Did I miss something? How did the rav know who the coin belonged to? (Article was in this past weeks Ami)

sky

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:07 pm
He had a feeling so he made up that there was something wrong with the coin. When the person went along with it - and said his coin was damaged he knew he was not the owner of the coin because it had been a lie, the coin was never damaged.

If that makes any sense.

cookiejar

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:09 pm
I thought it was that the other guy overheard - from out of the room - the detail that the Rav made up about the coin, and then used that overheard detail to prove that it was his. But really that detail was false and did not exist...

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 12:35 am
I guess, but didn't the article say that the rav knew whose it was before they went out of the room?

cookiejar

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 6:49 am
it said he had a hunch, that was why he played that little shtick with the two of them, one in the room, one out... was rather confusing when you read it. I had to think a little.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 8:55 am
Is the old machatzis hashekel story?

sky

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 9:08 am
I also thought it was a hunch.

Summary (some details might be missing):

One person found a coin. Another claimed the coin was his. Rabbi sent the one who found it out of the room. told the person who claimed it there must be a sign that it is his. Rabbi mentioned that there is a defect on the front of the coin. The man said I remember there was a scratch on the nose on the face of the coin. Rabbi said must not belong to you because there is no defect.

Did I get it mostly right?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room