Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Can I roast duck sauce chicken without skin?

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 10:50 pm
My husband likes when the flavor penetrates, and doesn't just stay on the skin (we don't eat the skin and I prefer not to cook with it either). Can I roast duck sauce chicken without the skin? If yes, should it be covered or uncovered, and what temp, for how long?
TIA

singleagain

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:19 pm
yes. at 350, until chicken is soft, covered, then uncover for about ten minutes to get a nice color on it

kb

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:27 pm
I always cover, bake at 350 for 1.5 hr to 2 hrs. Last time I baked in plain duck sauce I flipped the chicken halfway through, and it tasted much better.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:37 pm
Thanks all! It doesn't get dried out, does it?

singleagain

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:45 pm
when you cover, it keeps the heat in and it's almost steamed... so it's really juicy

Queen18

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:45 pm
I too cook without skin and find that when covering the sauce does not reduce and caramelize the same way. I smear a thin layer of honey mustard on top of the chicken and then add the duck sauce. The mustard prevents the chicken from drying out.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 4:16 am
If I'm taking the skin off, I cook it breast side down. That way any fat and juice runs to the bottom of the pan and keeps it moist. Cook covered most of the time, and uncover for the last 20 minutes.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 4:33 am
If you want to get it to caramelize without the skin, put it under the broiler for a few minutes first or at the end.

joy613

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 10:40 am
I always remove the skin. I cover the pan and turn the chicken upside down for the whole time. Otherwise I've found it dried out even though the pan was covered.

Volunteer

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 11:04 am
Another method is to apply the sauce and/or spices underneath the skin. Loosen the skin by running your fingers under the skin and detatching it from the meat underneath, without pulling it off entirely. Then you can rub spices under the loose skin, directly on the meat, or use a basting tool to apply some sauce under the skin.

poelmamosh

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 11:32 am
I do, but I dredge the chicken quarters in a mixture of flour and cornmeal first so the sauce "sticks." I also add a bit of extra liquid to the bottom of the pan--white wine, water or orange juice--so it doesn't dry out. And I bake tightly covered at 375 for at least an hr (depending on the size of the chicken)

Simple1

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 11:59 am
I cook the chicken with the skin - but push some of the sauce under the skin before cooking it so there's flavor also on the chicken. I don't actually eat the skin - it slips off easily when cooked.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 12:29 pm
cook it with the skin on to retain the juices ... afterward you can just not eat the skin ... when I spice the chicken I also put some spices & sauce in between ... & definitely put the broil on for 5 good minutes somewhere in the middle of cooking for a nice browned topping
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey