Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
How do we relocate to N.Y. from abroad. Easily and soon.
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:11 pm
could we buy a visa for 6 months to remain in the states .
Do I need a reason to remain there ?
And are we permitted to work ?
many thanks

PAMOM

Post Mon, Jan 19 2015, 11:41 pm
Is either of you a US citizen? What kind of visa are you coming in on? Generally you cannot work unless you are being brought here for that specific reason and your employer helps arrange the visa. I'm not sure what you're asking in your other questions.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 12:06 am
we aren't American.And automatically we get a 3 month visa when entering into U.S.
do we need a reason for wanting to stay 6 months or a year?
( perhaps to live there eventually.)

doctorima

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 12:13 am
No, there's no way to buy a longer visa. If you stay here longer than a tourist without being a citizen or getting a qualifying job that sponsors you for it, you could have legal problems. Then again, at the rate Obama is going, maybe they'll pay you to take a visa. Smile

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 12:26 am
we aren't American.And automatically we get a 3 month visa when entering into U.S.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 12:29 am
amother wrote:

That's a tourist visa. You cannot legally study or work while on that. If neither of you are American, and you want to live here, you need to consult an immigration attorney and see what your options are. The American consulate/embassy wherever you live should be able to give you some basic info too.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 12:30 am
many thanks!

nylon

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 7:32 am
Unless you have extremely specialized skills and can get sponsored by an employer, or lots of money to qualify as an investor, you have almost no shot of getting a US work visa. We don't have a points system for admitting people without sponsorship.

You can get a 6 month B-2 tourist visa through the embassy in your country (as opposed to the 90 days through Visa Waiver) but you will need to prove that you have funds to support yourself for such a long time without needing to work.

ProudMommie

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 8:01 am
why not come to Israel?
It is the best!
And, you will never have to move again.Smile

Sanguine

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 8:26 am
imochka wrote:
why not come to Israel?
It is the best!
And, you will never have to move again.Smile
Assuming that you're Jewish, you qualify for the Law of Return. Welcome Home!!

Peanut2

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 9:15 am
There is a green card lottery, too. I know lots of people who got a work visa, but many were on relocation for the company they worked for abroad and the rest were in hi tech or academia.

Raisin

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 9:19 am
you could also get a student visa if you want to pay to study somewhere.

Barbara

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
could we buy a visa for 6 months to remain in the states .
Do I need a reason to remain there ?
And are we permitted to work ?
many thanks

Are you actually able to buy a visa? Obviously, if you have that kind of money (an immigrant investor visa requires $500,000, for example), consult legal counsel.

http://cis.org/north/aliens-gu.....lable

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 10:21 am
You may not have to have a visa or even be legal to continue living in NY since there are municipal ID cards that you can get even if you are here illegally. Check this out-- http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireS.....71647

Peanut2

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 10:25 am
Yes, there are things in place in the US for illegal immigrants. It is possible to immigrate illegally and many people do so when that's the best choice they have in life. It's not the easiest or safest thing to do and can have many negative consequences as well.

Be kind to illegal immigrants you know, ladies!

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 10:39 am
amother wrote:
You may not have to have a visa or even be legal to continue living in NY since there are municipal ID cards that you can get even if you are here illegally. Check this out-- http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireS.....71647

This is for people who are already here and have no legal options to improve their situation. It is hardly something to recommend for someone who is not even in the country yet!

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 10:41 am
Op, if either of you is Australian, look into the E3 visa.

nylon

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 1:37 pm
amother wrote:

That doesn't make you any more legal. It won't help you with Social Security or the IRS. It won't make you safe with E-Verify so you can get a legitimate job. All it does is prove who you are so you can access city services that are not restricted on the basis citizenship/residency (e.g. parks, senior services, registering a child at school, getting Medicaid for your US citizen child; NOT Medicaid/Section 8 for yourself etc)

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 6:38 am
many thanks all, for your great answers.
Actually ,
I love the idea of living in Israel best ! But I find myself having difficulty leaving my married daughter in the states in a most undesirable marital rlsp of abuse & terrible disharmony with her husband.
Only she can help herself and that's going to take time, at her own pace. I just can't hurry her ,she's not ready. Why shouldn't I leave to go live in Israel to find my shidduch there ? If I lived on a kibbutz wouldn't that be a great idea to manage financially ? Please send me your ideas.
Would any one know a religious kibbutz that would accommodate me?
thanks so much.

grace413

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 6:47 am
Kibbutzim are not what they once were and I don't think it is a realistic option for somebody in her 40's (which I imagine you are if you have a married DD).

You mentioned "we" but are looking for a shidduch so I assume you have children with you.

Do you have a profession? Have you even been to Israel?

Sorry to hear about your dd's situation.

I'm in favor of aliyah - no worries about illegality, help in a variety of things and of course, it's our home.

Hatzlacha.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating