Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Would you give tamiflu? Worth the risks?
1  2  Next

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 12:55 pm
Ds has the flu. Sad

The doctor offered tamuflu for him, and she said the rest of the family can take it for prevention. It can cause upset stomach and hallucinations and self destructive behaviors while hallucinating. That sounds to me like a rather risky solution. But then again, ds has asthma and is coughing and very congested. That's a bit risky too.

I for sure wouldn't give it to anyone who's not currently sick. But what do you think for someone who already has the flu?

(Note: I just found out that my insurance won't pay for it and it's $246. It's no longer an option for us now. But hypothetically...)

Last edited by the world's best mom on Tue, Jan 20 2015, 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

pesek zman

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 1:03 pm
Did you mean tamiflu?

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 1:06 pm
Maybe. Is that what it's called? embarrassed

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 1:11 pm
I googled flu medicines and I got my answer:

TherafluĀ® For Cold & Flu - Theraflu.com‎

So I'm not making up words here.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 1:14 pm
Many medications can cause hallucinations (even z-pack, cipro, etc.): it's pretty rare and you'll be monitoring the child. The CDC promotes giving anti-viral flu medications to treat the flu (even in suspected and not yet confirmed cases), so I think that it is appropriate to give it to your son, especially considering his asthma. Refuah Shalaima and IYH everything will pass without side effects...

Barbara

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 1:52 pm
the world's best mom wrote:
I googled flu medicines and I got my answer:

TherafluĀ® For Cold & Flu - Theraflu.com‎

So I'm not making up words here.

Theraflu is an over the counter product that costs about $10. Its usually sold mixed with Lipton tea. http://www.theraflu.com/products

I've never heard of it having the side effects you list.

I assume that the doctor was referring to Tamiflu.

Almost every drug has very rare side effects. You weigh the risks. I wouldn't take even a slight risk to heal a paper cut. But I'd take a greater risk of a non-permanent side effect for a more serious condition, like the flu.

tweety1

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 1:58 pm
Its a rare side effect. I and a few of my kids had to take tamiflu this winter. We were all ok b"h

smss

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 2:34 pm
I would not. it doesn't even work that well.

Quote:
Compared with a placebo, taking Tamiflu led to a quicker alleviation of influenza-like symptoms of just half a day (from 7 days to 6.3 days) in adults, but the effect in children was more uncertain. There was no evidence of a reduction in hospitalisations or serious influenza complications; confirmed pneumonia, bronchitis, sinusitis or ear infection in either adults or children. Tamiflu also increased the risk of nausea and vomiting in adults by around 4 percent and in children by 5 percent. There was a reported increased risk of psychiatric events of around 1 percent when Tamiflu was used to prevent influenza. Evidence also suggests that Tamiflu prevented some people from producing sufficient numbers of their own antibodies to fight infection.

http://www.cochrane.org/featur.....they?

I would give elderberry syrup and Vitamin C every few hours, and max dose of Vitamin D for their age.

the world's best mom

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 3:49 pm
Barbara wrote:
Theraflu is an over the counter product that costs about $10. Its usually sold mixed with Lipton tea. http://www.theraflu.com/products

I've never heard of it having the side effects you list.

I assume that the doctor was referring to Tamiflu.

Almost every drug has very rare side effects. You weigh the risks. I wouldn't take even a slight risk to heal a paper cut. But I'd take a greater risk of a non-permanent side effect for a more serious condition, like the flu.

Thank you. I changed the OP.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 3:52 pm
smss wrote:

I would give elderberry syrup and Vitamin C every few hours, and max dose of Vitamin D for their age.

While taking vitamins in fine and many people see success with them, if you're trying to "quote studies" you might as well consider the studies that do not see improvement with Vitamins such as Elderberry Syrup and Vitamin C as well.............. Gotta play fair......

smss

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 4:01 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
While taking vitamins in fine and many people see success with them, if you're trying to "quote studies" you might as well consider the studies that do not see improvement with Vitamins such as Elderberry Syrup and Vitamin C as well.............. Gotta play fair......

I'd be interested in seeing those studies.

at least elderberry syrup and vitamins do not have risks. and for the record, elderberry syrup is not a vitamin. Smile

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 4:05 pm
smss wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing those studies.

at least elderberry syrup and vitamins do not have risks. and for the record, elderberry syrup is not a vitamin. Smile

You can start with the studies for The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews based on the 2004 research of Dr. Hemila and her colleagues. Vitamin C is extremely controversial. Even more controversial than Tamiflu and it has side effects: terrible stomach upset, increased urination, burning while urinating, etc. etc. It actually can result in a false positive on a UTI test strip. That being said, I wouldn't discourage someone from taking it like I would someone with high doses of Calcium which the body cannot break down properly.

smss

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 4:17 pm
Scrabble123 wrote:
You can start with the studies for The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews based on the 2004 research of Dr. Hemila and her colleagues. Vitamin C is extremely controversial. Even more controversial than Tamiflu and it has side effects: terrible stomach upset, increased urination, burning while urinating, etc. etc. It actually can result in a false positive on a UTI test strip. That being said, I wouldn't discourage someone from taking it like I would someone with high doses of Calcium which the body cannot break down properly.

stomach upset (diarrhea) is a sign of bowel tolerance, that you've reached the dosage you need, and at that point you should cut back to half that dose.

I looked up the study and I'm interested in knowing if they used synthetic or natural vitamin c. it wasn't clear.

smss

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 4:22 pm
what about elderberry? I cannot find any studies showing that it's not effective, but maybe I'm not a good enough googler...

here's what I did find. http://www.israel21c.org/healt.....-flu/

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 4:29 pm
I took Tamilflu and was fine after two days. My friend took some elderberry and was sick for a week. Yes I was nauseous but at least I was functional.

Scrabble123

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 4:30 pm
smss wrote:
what about elderberry? I cannot find any studies showing that it's not effective, but maybe I'm not a good enough googler...

here's what I did find. http://www.israel21c.org/healt.....-flu/

I see that study in the medical journal as well. You can access it through this site. It also states that they need a large pool in order to confirm results. Listen, many alternative treatments are understudied, and there have been great studies showing elderberry extract is efficient at helping individuals recover from the Flu and even certain MRSA infections.

There are also loads more studies confirming that tamiflu is an effective treatment for the flu. I don't want to debate alternative medicines, but you cannot "claim" Tamiflu is proven ineffective and suggest that Vitamin C is..

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25274854 (Just a randomized link so you will have access to the site - you can search anything you'd like there. They are reviewed medical studies... the article is not of any importance).

sky

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 6:59 pm
Tamilflu has taken away symptoms and shortened the duration of my son's flu. My sister-in-laws found the same.

I've read that if Vitamin C is started after getting sick it has no affect. If taken before sick it may shorten the duration but won't necessarily prevent you from getting sick.

justsmile

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 7:15 pm
I had all my kids sick with flu last week and tamiflu was a life saver! My kids were miserable with fever of 103 that barely went down even with motrin. Within 24 hours the symptoms went away.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 9:19 am
OP, how is your ds feeling?

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 9:28 am
B"H, he seems much better today than he did yesterday. Still not his usually very active self, but no fever or pain so far. Let's hope it doesn't get worse as the day goes on.

If I had given him tamiflu, I would have thought that was why he was feeling better already today.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics