Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Would you give tamiflu? Worth the risks?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 6:38 am
In the pediatrc practice where I work, the pediatricians do not routinely prescribe Tamiflu to otherwise healthy children with the flu or their family members. They do not feel that the risk vs benefit for a healthy child is worth it, since they will typically recover well on their own. For specific children with other health concerns or very young babies, they will prescribe it, but that's on a case by case basis.
I have heard of other doctors prescribing Tamiflu more readily. I guess you just have to put some level of trust in your child's pediatrician.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 6:41 am
amother wrote:

I have heard of other doctors prescribing Tamiflu more readily. I guess you just have to put some level of trust in your child's pediatrician.

That is because the CDC came forward stating that Tamiflu should be prescribed to all suspected flu cases (even before testing has confirmed it is the flu). I do not have time to search through the CDC website now, but I'm sure you'll be able to find it, and your office may have received a notice.

KollelWife3

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 6:56 am
My dd has the flu and I've been giving her tamiflu religiously! Didn't even know there were side effects...

Do you think the Dr should have discussed thus with me, or as a responsible parent I should have done my own research.

But then again, I trust my pediatrician....

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 7:01 am
Quote:
That is because the CDC came forward stating that Tamiflu should be prescribed to all suspected flu cases (even before testing has confirmed it is the flu). I do not have time to search through the CDC website now, but I'm sure you'll be able to find it, and your office may have received a notice.

Yes, they are very well aware that the CDC is recommending it. However, they have to use their medical knowledge and discretion when prescribing anything, not just relying on the CDC.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 7:04 am
amother wrote:
Quote:

Yes, they are very well aware that the CDC is recommending it. However, they have to use their medical knowledge and discretion when prescribing anything, not just relying on the CDC.

I agree with you. I was just responding to your comment stating that other doctors pass it out freely... That's not a negative reflection on the doctor. The CDC also uses their medical knowledge and for a doctor to rely on that and follow their and is acceptable, but so is another doctor (like the one in your office) choosing a different route based on his knowledge and experience.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 7:42 am
the risks sound so slight it sounds better then having the flu for a long time. But maybe I'm missing something.

increased the risk of nausea and vomiting in adults by around 4 percent and in children by 5 percent.
    Increased risk of psychiatric events of around 1 percent
    Evidence also suggests that Tamiflu prevented some people from producing sufficient numbers of their own antibodies to fight infection.

My DH was hit really hard by a mild case of the flu because after he recovered he came down with something major that is unusual for a young healthy person to get. His doctor said the flu most likely weakened his body to allow it to happen. He was out of commission for a while.

imokay

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 7:55 am
I have given tamiflu to my kids; to my knowledge, they didn't experience any side effects. I would give it again should the situation warrant it. I would not give it prophylactically unless the child/person had underlying health issue. My dh has taken it as a preventative measure and he said he felt totally fine while on it.
That said, I once took tamiflu and within a few hours was vomiting violently. Of course that could have also been from the flu itself, no way to tell.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 8:55 am
I just finished Tamiflu for a terrible flu. The thing was amazing- granted it made me sick to my stomach but I was already from the flu. It knocked me out so I could sleep. I really did recover faster. My fevers were so bad. I could hardly stand up. I was a wreck. The Tamiflu really brought the terrible symptoms down to manageable.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 9:04 am
the world's best mom wrote:

(Note: I just found out that my insurance won't pay for it and it's $246. It's no longer an option for us now. But hypothetically...)

I don't know what insurance you have, but considering it is recommended by the CDC and that your son has asthma, you may be able to "fight it out with them..." I assume that since he has asthma you gave him a flu shot which should also help a little, even if he already has the flu (his body should have a head start with its own antibodies). Either way, I'm glad he's feeling a little better. Refuah Shalaima.

cs1

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 9:06 am
I gave it to my son. My copay was $60 and I got a $10 coupon online so it cost me $50.
worked for us
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics