Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Do people pay to be featured in Binah or any other publicati
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 1:25 pm
Just wondering. Do people pay Binah or other publications to get their ideas and product across?

oliveoil

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 1:42 pm
yup.

zigi

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 1:47 pm
if you see something, under the communicated its a paid ad. or debt crusher sponsored the budget series etc

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 9:38 pm
Then why do we bother believing the articles and the people/prodcuts featured??!! Other than a great marketing technique, how are the magazines taking responsibility for what is accurate if it's really just a marketing ploy?

Other than binah, do any of the magazines not accept payment for endorsement of a feature article?

Amother here because I am considering approaching a magazine to feature my company, but would not want to appear desperate or feel that people think I "paid them to get published."

debsey

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 11:31 pm
Binah will not publish a paid profile without clearly stating it's "communicated."

So if you read about a school or a person, etc, it is NOT a paid advertisement.
I dk about the other publications, but Binah/Hamodia seem to have the highest editorial standard of any frum magazine in terms of their disclosure policies and responsible reporting.

If you doubt what I'm saying, contact Binah and ask. I know this because I know someone who tried to have a puff piece placed and Binah wouldn't do it.

I have NO IDEA about Ami or Mishpacha and whether or not they disguise ads as columns. I know for sure that publications like The Lakewood Voice charge their "columnists" for ad space for their articles, which lets you know just how trustworthy those articles are.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 20 2015, 11:59 pm
I work for the voice and that's completely false. They will always label an article as "advertorial" if that's what it is as opposed to simply writing about a company or product. They are extremely careful not to include anything that is slightly promotional in their regular articles as it's unfair to their paying advertisers

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 2:52 am
Amother because I don't want to be ID'd by my job. While a direct promotional piece would be labeled "advertorial" or "communicated," the publications I worked for definitely favor their advertisers in relevant features. This is probably to keep up the good business vibes between them but it does mean that including someone in a feature may be more of a business move than an endorsement. So for example, in an article about vitamin supplements they may tell their writer to make sure to interview the company that advertises vitamin supplements in their magazine, and the interview is sure to be at least a bit of a plug for that company, or if not it at least makes the company look more credible because they're being quoted as a source of information. But really their only qualification for providing that info was that they are loyal advertisers. I've seen this a lot while reading but I know that this is how it happens fairly regularly because I have worked behind the scenes as well. It's not exactly the same as a paid advertorial, but you can expect some bias to be present.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 3:01 am
Slightly OT, but this REALLY annoys me...I listen to talk radio, and the presenters do voiceovers for paid ads during their OWN programs...this feels so misleading to me Sad

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 7:48 am
As someone from the inside (staying amother for that reason), if you see an advertisement for a product or service and the person is featured in the magazine (even Binah, debsey), more than likely their exposure is based on the business relationship, not the authenticity of sharing information for the public's sake.

With regard to other magazines, I can only speak of Mishpacha - they verify that the people they feature are legit and, as far as I know, stay away from featuring products/individuals that advertise in the magazine.

Sorry to burst your bubble amother above - jewish journalism is motivated by money and selling ads.

debsey

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:19 pm
amother wrote:
I work for the voice and that's completely false. They will always label an article as "advertorial" if that's what it is as opposed to simply writing about a company or product. They are extremely careful not to include anything that is slightly promotional in their regular articles as it's unfair to their paying advertisers

I don't know who you are - you're amother - but I know for a fact that this is false.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 12:24 am
My daughter has been waiting for months to see her drawing published in mishpacha, but ever week it's 1-2 drawings to ten photographs of kids with clics creations, with a handful of other building toy creations thrown in. This is especially unfair to girls over six like my daughter who have a very small chance of being published every week since they can't send in photographs of themselves...

So my 11 year old son concluded that the page must have advertising fees paid either by clics or a toy store.

kb

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 1:08 am
do you know for sure that mishpacha ever got the picture?

If you want to test out your son's theory. Why don't you have your daughter send in a picture of clics?

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 2:23 am
I think they just get a huge volume of submissions. IME they do tend to push through ones with protektzia. You could try doing something to get noticed, like write a letter to the editor with your sob story, they are generally well-meaning people and will probably oblige.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 9:28 pm
OP here - did not mean for the thread to go into a bashing theme....sorry 'bout that

Consensus seems to be that we are overall skeptical of what we read. Since I wrote the thread a couple of days ago and asked my friends about this (hence the amother), I have heard that even if people don't pay to get into Binah, if you have the right "connections" someone will write an article about you (also helps if you have an ad), even if you are not established or legit.

I'm on the fence: on the one hand, I should try to get in. On the other - what's the point. Intelligent consumers read through this. My service/product is geared for the educated individual.

Well, thank you for your input. Please keep the thread going if anyone else has any input on people's perception of someone/something featured in Binah. Thanks.

One more thought - I did hear from those friends who are avid readers, that Mishpacha does seem to be more journalistic and accurate. So maybe gearing for that readership may more worthwhile.? Thoughts?

Again - not looking to bash anyone. Just looking for people's views on those that are featured. Do you think the magazine searched them out or did they approach the magazine (via money, connections, etc)?

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 10:01 pm
amother wrote:
OP here - did not mean for the thread to go into a bashing theme....sorry 'bout that

Consensus seems to be that we are overall skeptical of what we read. Since I wrote the thread a couple of days ago and asked my friends about this (hence the amother), I have heard that even if people don't pay to get into Binah, if you have the right "connections" someone will write an article about you (also helps if you have an ad), even if you are not established or legit.

I'm on the fence: on the one hand, I should try to get in. On the other - what's the point. Intelligent consumers read through this. My service/product is geared for the educated individual.

Well, thank you for your input. Please keep the thread going if anyone else has any input on people's perception of someone/something featured in Binah. Thanks.

One more thought - I did hear from those friends who are avid readers, that Mishpacha does seem to be more journalistic and accurate. So maybe gearing for that readership may more worthwhile.? Thoughts?

Again - not looking to bash anyone. Just looking for people's views on those that are featured. Do you think the magazine searched them out or did they approach the magazine (via money, connections, etc)?

Wait, you're asking because you have a product/service that you'd like to have featured for your own publicity? That's EXACTLY what advertorials are for. Regardless of what goes on in the features department, that would be the best route to have information about your company written up in a magazine.

Regarding "connections" it's really pretty simple. As a freelance writer, when I hear about someone or something interesting and I think I'd like to write about it and people would like to read about it, I pitch it to the editors and see if they're interested. Usually they're more interested in topics than in specific companies - like a feature might be about strollers and individual strollers might be included, but they're less likely to want to write a whole piece about this great new stroller you're selling. But if my friend or relative has started something new and interesting, I'll put the idea forth and sometimes it gets accepted. But if I don't know that you exist, then I won't be looking to write about you. That's one meaning of "connections." It doesn't have to mean that you're the owner's grandchild or whatever.

UQT

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 10:12 pm
Think of all the kosher fest supplements - those sound like they are paid for. you can tell when reading an article if it pushes the product too much. As if the items features were really the latest and greatest.

Also if they write that Mr. Cohen from Cohen Accountants advises you to do this with your money and an ad from Cohen Accountants is on the opposite page you know he was picked bec he advertises there (not to say you shouldn't listen to his advice...but of course they will push their advertisers).

OP advertise there first for a few weeks and then see if you can be quoted in a related article with your business name. To me that would make you sound more authentic than an article that says communicated on top.

Sherri

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 10:12 pm
amother wrote:
Slightly OT, but this REALLY annoys me...I listen to talk radio, and the presenters do voiceovers for paid ads during their OWN programs...this feels so misleading to me Sad
Regular radio? I haven't heard that in a regular radio show but I hear it in podcasts all the time. I have also heard a podcaster actually discuss this problem.

srbmom

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 10:19 pm
Quote:
My daughter has been waiting for months to see her drawing published in mishpacha, but ever week it's 1-2 drawings to ten photographs of kids with clics creations, with a handful of other building toy creations thrown in. This is especially unfair to girls over six like my daughter who have a very small chance of being published every week since they can't send in photographs of themselves...

So my 11 year old son concluded that the page must have advertising fees paid either by clics or a toy store.

I know this doesn't really have anything to do with the original post but I just wanted to make you feel a little better. My friend's son just had his picture posted in the Mishpacha - it was from over two years ago! All his friends were making fun of him because he was I think around 10 at the time and he is now already bar mitzvahed. I think they just get so many hundreds of submissions that it could take that long to get published.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 10:25 pm
I had a personal experience that a publication was doing a writeup about a specific industry and said they would quote my insight and ideas only if I place an ad in the publication....however I was told that a competitor of mine has to appear more prominent for some reason, I though the whole thing stank.

kb

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 1:39 am
UQT wrote:
Think of all the kosher fest supplements - those sound like they are paid for. you can tell when reading an article if it pushes the product too much. As if the items features were really the latest and greatest.

Also if they write that Mr. Cohen from Cohen Accountants advises you to do this with your money and an ad from Cohen Accountants is on the opposite page you know he was picked bec he advertises there (not to say you shouldn't listen to his advice...but of course they will push their advertisers).

OP advertise there first for a few weeks and then see if you can be quoted in a related article with your business name. To me that would make you sound more authentic than an article that says communicated on top.

It's also possible that they gave Mr Cohen ad space in exchange for the advice and input he gave for the article.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room