Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Interior design question - please help!
1  2  Next

Where should the closet go?
Along most of the 10-ft wall parallel to beds  
 15%  [ 2 ]
Along the shorter wall next to door, facing beds  
 30%  [ 4 ]
Seeker should get a life, go to sleep, and stop asking us to figure out these things for her  
 7%  [ 1 ]
Let DH decide everything, then you can blame him if you aren't happy  
 23%  [ 3 ]
Stop! Wait! I found you an apartment you can afford in a location convenient to your work and school!  
 7%  [ 1 ]
I don't understand any of this. My brain can't process a floor-plan question using only text.  
 15%  [ 2 ]
I really don't care about any of this, I just have a compulsion to answer polls.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 2:43 am
So, again with my closets. They can go in either of 2 places. I mapped it out on a floor plan and STILL can't decide which will be better in 3-D life-size. It's so hard to visualize these things until it's too late! Here is the situation and the options:

Bedroom is about 12 feet wide by 10 feet deep. The door is near the center of one of the 12-foot walls. The windows are on the perpendicular wall. We have 2 standard-length twin-size beds parallel to the 10-ft wall (they get moved together during the day and apart as needed). Also in the room currently are a pack-n-play (which we'd love to move out, but even if we do figure out how to do that I would want to leave open the possibility of needing another one) and a tall dresser (also a short/wide dresser but that is going in the garbage in favor of our new tall closet arrangement to provide more storage in the same space.)

So here is what we currently have (not to scale):
[wall][ bed ][ bed ][packnplay]---[wall with windows]
[wall][tall dresser][door][wide dresser][wall]

Here are the options for the closet, which would be about 2 feet deep, not including space for doors to open (sliding doors are an option, but considerably more expensive. DH wants them. I want to consider all options first)
Option A - closet along 10-ft wall:
[wall][closet]---[ bed ][ bed ][window wall]
[wall][tall dresser][door][packnplay][wall]
(advantage: can have up to 79" of closet this way. Disadvantage: works best with more expensive sliding-door closet, will be annoying when beds apart, will have to get out of bed to retrieve child from crib which she sometimes requests multiple times per night - she is toilet trained and clingy and doesn't climb out on her own. Other note: Tall dresser and pack-n-play can be interchanged in this setup, if it matters)

Option B - closet along wall next to door (half of the 12-ft wall):
[wall][ bed ][ bed ][packnplay]---[wall with windows]
[wall][tall dresser][door][ closet ][wall]
(advantage: The room layout is less crowded side-to-side, I think; the pack-n-play stays beside bed. Probably enough space for hinged closet doors, which are cheaper though DH prefers sliding. Disadvantage: Closet can only be 59" in this space. Also, closet will block window that vents into the other room; however we already basically don't use this window much if at all, we tend to close it for privacy and then forget to open it for months. I'm not sure it really provides much additional airflow even when open. It's about 1 foot square opening)

Sorry for the lousy visuals. If I get ambitious maybe I'll figure out how to upload a better diagram. Anyone here talented with interior design and can help figure out what will be the most functional, pleasing room setup? DH is pushing to get this done ASAP but I would rather do it WELL than fast. I need to deliberate over this a little. Personally, I'd rather just move to a place with a ROOM for both children and forget the pack-n-play altogether, but as that's not happening today or tomorrow DH reckons we may as well improve our space for the meanwhile. I agree somewhat to the point of buying the closet but not to the point of adding up to 30% to the cost for sliding doors... I dunno. Maybe he's right. From what I hear on my other thread the closet probably won't be able to come with us and I want out sooner rather than later so I'm not inclined to invest in it too much... The closet along the short wall parallel to the beds with sliding doors would be $524 for 79" or $474 for 59" (not including delivery, which adds about $100), while a hinged-door closet would be about $320 for the 59" one (and, if hinged doors which add 20" for opening space, will fit in the 80" space that would be $380) and of course we also need to account for all the things to go inside, like rods and shelves and drawers and whatever, figure at least another $150 on top of the closet itself - so the $524 closet PLUS $100 delivery PLUS that already feels like quite a stretch to me. DH says it's worth it because it will improve our quality of life... I say let's just start with improving our quality of life the $320 (plus delivery and accessories) way. I dunno, either way sounds like a lot to me, we're not even exactly living in the black all the time but we do need the space and any way you stack it is still cheaper than a bigger apartment which would be at least that much more PER MONTH. Then at around this point in the calculations I start thinking really we'd be even more better off if we rearranged the living room... and at this rate we're never going to get anywhere. So it looks like we're doing the bedroom closets because DH is pushing for it, but I still want to at least have a say in how they get done! Smile

Help me out ladies!

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 7:51 am
put the closet along the 10 foot wall with no windows ...

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 7:53 am
unless you're going to build 2 closets on either side of the doors ... his & hers

[did I just confuse you more]

[get a life - what are you doing up at 2:48 am] Twisted Evil

really enjoy the FUN of figuring it all out ... Banging head

kb

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 8:03 am
I can't picture what you're describing, but once you're investing in a closet, get the sliding doors so you don't regret it in the long run. There's more space and flexibility with the sliding doors and that will allow you to rearrange more in the future. (And you can always sell the closet to the next tenant, or take the closet with you)

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 9:37 am
Whoever voted that you have an apt for me, I am waiting for your pm! Waiting Very Happy

Kb that's what I initially thought but from what I'm hearing it sounds like this will be too heavy to move once installed. So it seems like this is something we just need to choose. If we get the 59" version MAYBE it could be moved to the opposite wall but knowing us it's more likely it'll just stay where it's put.

Green fire, no his/hers. Buying ONE closet, keeping the old tall dresser for now.

Will probably end up with what dh wants, but of course that's the most expensive configuration and I am really not excited about spending $700 on this... It's coming straight out of savings, we don't actually have the budget for this but hopefully it will make life nicer and not more cluttered (I still think it's needed more in the living room...sigh)

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 12:30 pm
Are you making a built-in? Why not buy an armoire that you can take with you when you move? Why should you make an improvement to someone else's property?

Now for crazy time:

I might get an industrial strength metal one from say Staples, for, say office supplies, very strongly made. Then have an artist paint trompe-l'oeil on it. Go to town with that. Maybe framed paintings with shadows, just painted on. A pretty landscape. OK, crazy time off. It's just that those things get so much use, I would want it very strong.

But there are nice armoires and at least it's yours permanently.

If you know somebody handy or if you are, an armoire is not a complicated carpentry job as they go. Some planks, some hinges, some shelf hardware. There are plans on the internet. Sand lightly and use a warm shingle stain. Very Japanese.

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 12:48 pm
Can you move the beds to the window wall? Then you'd have free access to a larger closet.
I'm thinking there may be radiators or whatnot that preclude this, but worth a try!

(You didn't include a poll option for the people who think they're smarter than polls Wink

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 1:25 pm
I am not doing a built-in, my thought is to use Ikea's PAX wardrobe system which is stand-alone closets you build with your combination of options (different sizes/doors/interior components) But I'd be happy to hear if anyone knows of a similar different option. Because from what I hear Ikea stuff doesn't hold up if you take it apart to move, and this particular piece is too big to move without taking apart. I don't think we're up to a real DIY home depot type project now, our vacation is over in a couple of days and we don't have space for unfinished projects - it has to get put up within a day or so of when it's started or no one will be able to move.

The beds can't go flush with the window wall because there's a thing (column? Pillar? whatever) jutting out in the corner, so the beds can't go all the way but the pack-n-play can because it is shorter so it can start after the "thing" ends. Though it does get a little drafty just there, and in the warm months that's where the a/c blows from...

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 1:44 pm
sorry I voted that you had a new place - though I guess I don't have much solutions

if it's not a built in I don't know why it matters so much ... right it's heavy

what if you put some of the bottom pieces down & see how it feels in each area - yes this will take up moving about several times but then you'll know from trial

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 1:50 pm
I guess you haven't done much IKEA - it's not separate pieces, you have to put together the whole thing and then stand it up. Also would need to decide between the 59" and 79" because they are larger pieces to begin with, not separate columns. The issue with moving is not the weight, it's that it would be too big to get through the door and once you take apart IKEA furniture it doesn't really go back together well at all. But you just gave me an idea - I can't buy it and put together parts before deciding, but maybe I can outline the proposed floor plans in masking tape on my floor! That will be a lot of work but a much better visual than paper where I try to figure out if an inch on paper translates into enough space to access the closet...

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 1:56 pm
no I've heard the name though ... why can't you take the bottom piece & get an idea of how it takes up floor space ? before you put it together ...

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 1:59 pm
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/cata.....5715/

is it this ?

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 3:08 pm
Something to that effect. And the 15% off is only for less than a week more now so I need to get this figured out... sigh.

sky

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 3:24 pm
I've done the masking tape before and it really gave me perspective
When I was buying a couch I taped out the exact outline and left it there and after a day or two realized it would make the room a pain to maneuver.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 3:38 pm
OK, that's what I'm going to do. Today's project Smile Then we can shop on Sunday.

Also could use advice on how to figure out how many shelves/drawers/rod space we need... I'm thinking maybe one clothes rod because we currently have *almost* but not quite enough hanging space (though of course as soon as we have more, our matter will automatically expand to fill our storage, contradicting classical principles of physics), maybe 6-8 drawers to replace the dresser that's going out (and the pile of growing-toddler clothes that keeps mounting on top of it since her drawer was only the right size for little baby clothes) and everything else can go in bins on shelves so just fill whatever space remains with shelves?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 3:45 pm
Totally forget the doors and put fancy curtains! None of your guests will know where the Windows are!
Would accordion doors work?

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 4:03 pm
Curtains instead of closet doors? Confused Hmm... I guess it's an idea. Doors kind of feel more orderly to me but I don't see why not.

The windows are not about guests (we never have any. Where would we put guests in this ridiculous setup?!) but for air circulation. Not sure they help anyway though.

No accordion doors option that I know of.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 4:07 pm
what's wrong with the sliding doors ? you'll have plenty of access ...

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 4:11 pm
What's wrong with sliding doors is that they are about $150 more than hinged doors.

self-actualization

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 5:40 pm
I always let DH decide. He bought the Ikea PAX closet for himself, configured it himself, and he is still using it 10 years (and 2 moves) later.

His closet has hinged doors. On the right there is a hanging rack for shirts on top and then underneath our roll-out laundry bag. On the left there is a hanging rack for suits on top and then I think 4 drawers where he keeps: socks, underwear, pajamas, and sports clothes, respectively.

Above the 4 drawers he put little cubby holes where he keeps his cuff links and other odds and ends.

At the very top there are two wicker baskets where he keeps his sweaters.

Ten years ago the whole thing cost us around $750. My parents paid for it in lieu of a bedroom set. We were fine (we have much more modern taste than traditional bedroom sets anyway).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics