Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Interior design question - please help!
Previous  1  2

Where should the closet go?
Along most of the 10-ft wall parallel to beds  
 15%  [ 2 ]
Along the shorter wall next to door, facing beds  
 30%  [ 4 ]
Seeker should get a life, go to sleep, and stop asking us to figure out these things for her  
 7%  [ 1 ]
Let DH decide everything, then you can blame him if you aren't happy  
 23%  [ 3 ]
Stop! Wait! I found you an apartment you can afford in a location convenient to your work and school!  
 7%  [ 1 ]
I don't understand any of this. My brain can't process a floor-plan question using only text.  
 15%  [ 2 ]
I really don't care about any of this, I just have a compulsion to answer polls.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

penguin

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 5:52 pm
Someone recently did a sketch of a room plan. Was it HY with her entryway closet conundrum?

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 6:00 pm
self-actualization wrote:
I always let DH decide. He bought the Ikea PAX closet for himself, configured it himself, and he is still using it 10 years (and 2 moves) later.

His closet has hinged doors. On the right there is a hanging rack for shirts on top and then underneath our roll-out laundry bag. On the left there is a hanging rack for suits on top and then I think 4 drawers where he keeps: socks, underwear, pajamas, and sports clothes, respectively.

Above the 4 drawers he put little cubby holes where he keeps his cuff links and other odds and ends.

At the very top there are two wicker baskets where he keeps his sweaters.

Ten years ago the whole thing cost us around $750. My parents paid for it in lieu of a bedroom set. We were fine (we have much more modern taste than traditional bedroom sets anyway).

Can you tell me more about this roll-out laundry bag? Sounds neat.

DId you take it apart for your move or were you able to move it as one piece? (I can see this working better with hinged than sliding doors because you can move each closet separately, the sliding doors work with a double closet)

Sounds like your DH knows what he's doing! I don't think mine does; his skill is that he knows how to be decisive whereas I waffle forever. He is not a perfectionist like I am, the result is that he gets more things done but not as well as I do Wink But when I do hit upon what I like, then I really like it and am happy to stick with it forever.

self-actualization

Post Thu, Jan 22 2015, 10:21 am
Okay so I looked again last night. The right side has one long door, floor to ceiling. When it is opened it has the hanging stuff on top and then a roll out laundry bag attached to the closet. There is a rolling wood thing and then a bag that slides on and off with two wooden poles ... it was bought from Ikea to fit exactly there. The left side has a translucent top hinge and then just the drawers below - they are sealed wooden drawers (not open baskets) but they don't have a door in front of them. Whenever we moved the closet we did it as one piece (not sure it can be taken apart). We first moved apartments and we were able to tilt it just so that it could leave one apt and make it up the stairs to the next apt. Same thing when we moved to our house. If we ever graduate to a real decorated bedroom, then I imagine we will replicate the design with a California Closet because it has been so useful. In addition, the laundry basket is still used even though we have another small laundry hamper for the kids.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics