Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
ISO frum teenager to help clean floors
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 7:12 am
Is there such a thing as frum high school kids that you can pay to occasionally vacuum and mop? I'm doing non stop baby care the past two weeks and I really need help with the floors.

I'm not wanting someone to do general cleaning, I want help to literally just vacuum and mop. Do frum teenagers in Brooklyn do this type of thing? I would pay them.

Thanks.

doctorima

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 7:41 am
I've never heard of such a thing. Many people in Brooklyn have a cleaning lady once a week (or more) who does this for them, so I'd be surprised if there's a market for frum teenagers to do it. You could see if any of your neighbors is interested, but it's not considered the most respectable work, so some people might get insulted that you would even think their kids would be interested.

tichellady

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 7:55 am
I used to have a frum teenager wash dishes and straighten up for me on Friday afternoons. She hated babysitting and wanted to make some extra money. It was a great arrangement. When people found this out we thought they we were both crazy but I don't see what's not respectable about cleaning- my husband and I are both constantly cleaning our house, is that beneath us Smile ? Do you know any teenagers who like to make extra money? Anyone who works in a pizza shop or babysits a lot? Chances are they will be interested or have a friend who is interested if it's really just vacuming and washing the floor which is pretty easy.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 8:14 am
Why don't you just get cleaning help to do it? Why must it be a frum teen?

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 8:47 am
I'm sure you can find someone who doesn't mind a side job of cleaning ... just don't make her your slave

but I too wonder why you want someone 'frum' specifically ...

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 9:31 am
greenfire wrote:
I'm sure you can find someone who doesn't mind a side job of cleaning ... just don't make her your slave

but I too wonder why you want someone 'frum' specifically ...
And I was wondering why "teen" specifically... Scratching Head

Dev80

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 10:31 am
A teen would be less expensive than a cleaning lady, so I do see the logic. Also, maybe she wouldn't have to commit to as many hours at a time. It sounds like she's not asking for all the deep cleaning like bathrooms and showers and stove tops, just a few key areas.

I hope you find some one I agree there must be girls who prefer cleaning to babysitting and need some extra $$.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 10:48 am
seeker wrote:
And I was wondering why "teen" specifically... Scratching Head

child labour ...

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:01 am
Dev80 wrote:
A teen would be less expensive than a cleaning lady

Where I live, a cleaning lady and a babysitter earn about the same per hour.

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:02 am
Dev80 wrote:
A teen would be less expensive than a cleaning lady, so I do see the logic. Also, maybe she wouldn't have to commit to as many hours at a time. It sounds like she's not asking for all the deep cleaning like bathrooms and showers and stove tops, just a few key areas.

I hope you find some one I agree there must be girls who prefer cleaning to babysitting and need some extra $$.

I knew someone was going to say that, though I didn't want to preempt it just in case I was wrong. Why do people think it's OK (and even assumed) to pay a younger person less than an older person for doing the same job? Essentially you're just exploiting the fact that many youths don't know what they're worth.

Dev80

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:25 am
disagree.

A cleaning lady who does this for a living is more experienced and therefore you are paying her for her experience. I'm assuming (and hoping) a teen girl hasn't been doing this for years. Also, she's not looking for a heavy duty cleaning lady she's looking for more light housekeeping so that is also cheaper. And some one at a later stage in a life probably wants a more kavua job whereas a teenager is oftentimes okay with less hours and understand it's less pay. If a girl thinks it's not enough $$ being offered then she won't do the job, so I don't think there's any exploitation involved....

Simple1

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 11:31 am
Mopping I'd consider heavier housecleaning, vacuuming is lighter and even somewhat fun for some teens.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 12:33 pm
some people actually like to clean ... and for them cleaning is not degrading ... it's how much respect & compensation are you willing to give ... regardless of age

greenfire

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 12:34 pm
p.s. mopping is not light housekeeping or we wouldn't make jokes about washing it for pesach aka once a year

oliveoil

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 12:51 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Mopping I'd consider heavier housecleaning, vacuuming is lighter and even somewhat fun for some teens.

I completely disagree. I"d rather mop 4 times for every time I vacuum.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Jan 21 2015, 1:12 pm
oliveoil wrote:
I completely disagree. I"d rather mop 4 times for every time I vacuum.

Personally I find both strenuous. I usually need to shower after mopping/vacuuming. My DD's say the same (don't think they've every mopped but they have pushed the vacuum cleaner.)

amother

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 6:07 am
OP here.

Wow, I am surprised at the responses. I guess I didn't give enough info!

We were not trying to cheap out by hiring a teen, we would pay $10 an hour, the same as a cleaning lady in my neighborhood.

The reason why I wanted a frum teen was because my DH said the reason we couldn't get help was because he didn't want a [gentile] in the house...

I used to clean people's houses when I was a teen but I guess it was a different culture!

doctorima

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 6:59 am
Thanks for clarifying. If your husband doesn't want a non-Jew in the house, I still think you're better off trying to find a regular Jewish cleaning lady than a frum teenager to mop your floors.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 7:02 am
does he think a non-jew is going to treif up the floors ?!

sweetpotato

Post Fri, Jan 23 2015, 7:46 am
greenfire wrote:
does he think a non-jew is going to treif up the floors ?!

Maybe he wants them "clean enough to eat off of" and is therefore concerned about the kashrus...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry